Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kelsey The Ram

Pre-season friendlies

26 posts in this topic

Is anyone looking forward to these? I can say I'm looking forward especially to boxing day. :rolleyes:

They are a must, if only for the players to get some match fitness back and the coaching staff to see how things are going game plan wise and in a proper game situation with more intense pressure and less time to make decisions, learn more from these games than any amount of unopposed training sessions

Yes and no. They're friendlies at the end of the day and, nowadays, pretty meaningless (Hospital Cup games seemed to have just a little more edge to them.)

Offer a starving man a crust and he'll be grateful but he'd still rather have a proper meal.

I reckon many will be figuratively starving by Boxing Day, even Coolie. ;)

For those of us in need of rugby 'therapy' at this time of year any game will do, friendly or conventional. I'll be there, full of enthusiasm.

For my fix of rugby until Boxing Day,you can't beat going to some local games at Thornhill,Shaw Cross and Celtic are at home in the Challenge Cup on Saturday.

For my fix of rugby until Boxing Day,you can't beat going to some local games at Thornhill,Shaw Cross and Celtic are at home in the Challenge Cup on Saturday.

Got to say I have enjoyed watching Shaw Cross this season, Piggy (Even though he is ex-bullfrogs) has had them playing good rugby

Thornhill Trojans are at home on Saturday to Halifax Irish in the Yorkshire Cup. 2:30 kick off. There could be a number of ex-Rams on show. These could include Derrell Olpherts, Joe Naidole, Rob Kelly, Adam Hoyle, Jake Wilson, Danny Ratcliffe, Liam Morley, Shane Davies, Scott Woodcock...along with several others who have featured in the Rams Reserves team in recent seasons. Well worth a watch.

Got to say I have enjoyed watching Shaw Cross this season, Piggy (Even though he is ex-bullfrogs) has had them playing good rugby

I'll tell him he has an admirer in the crowd ;)

Thornhill Trojans are at home on Saturday to Halifax Irish in the Yorkshire Cup. 2:30 kick off. There could be a number of ex-Rams on show. These could include Derrell Olpherts, Joe Naidole, Rob Kelly, Adam Hoyle, Jake Wilson, Danny Ratcliffe, Liam Morley, Shane Davies, Scott Woodcock...along with several others who have featured in the Rams Reserves team in recent seasons. Well worth a watch.

Still can't understand why olpherts had such a raw deal when he was with us - better and faster than aikedere IMO.

I'll tell him he has an admirer in the crowd ;)

Ha Ha, I'll tell him myself in the Bar!!!!

Either The Crown or Cross!!

Still can't understand why olpherts had such a raw deal when he was with us - better and faster than aikedere IMO.

to be honest the break he made at fev only to be polaxed was awsome. i liked him.

Good win for the Trojans today,a lad at number six called Andrew Bates,looks a good prospect,a good famous surname he's got !!

Just wondering, do we have just Bradford and Batley or do we have another team as part of pre-season freindlies? Because we had Wakefield as well as Bradford and Batley couple of years ago, if my memory is right.

No point In having the Bradford friendly as it will merely be Bulls v Bulls ex Academy players......might as well play it at Odsal...

No point In having the Bradford friendly as it will merely be Bulls v Bulls ex Academy players......might as well play it at Odsal...

Good point

Just wondering, do we have just Bradford and Batley or do we have another team as part of pre-season freindlies? Because we had Wakefield as well as Bradford and Batley couple of years ago, if my memory is right.

You're not old enough to have a dodgy memory, young Kelsey.

Just ask your Uncles Grumpy and Johnny.

Ha ha, you are correct to be fair

Would be nice if we could play Hull in a friendly game,we played them a few years back,it was a very good atmosphere with a big attendance at the game.

Ask me what? What?

I heard that, pardon?

Nothing wrong with my memory - if only I could remember where I'd left it. :wacko:

Only problem is really, olpherts was a fullback, and akaidere is a winger, olpherts wasn't used much because craven is better.

Speaking of memory, where is the Boxing Day match being played this year? Kick-off time?

I haven't been to one for a few years, so that's my excuse. :unsure:

It's at Mount Pleasant. Not sure the Bulldogs have confirmed the kick-off time yet, but it's usually 12.00/12.30.

Only problem is really, olpherts was a fullback, and akaidere is a winger, olpherts wasn't used much because craven is better.

I think the two positions are interchangeable TBH, Zak Hardacre doesn't do a bad job at fullback for a player who has spent most of his career on the wing. That does lead to another point though - if JC were to gets injured, there doesn't appear to much cover at fullback - Austin wasn't too good on the odd occasion he played there and Akaidere is too small. Rhodes or Morton could possibly do the job, but it's not really a position you can afford to experiment with.