Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mark richardson

signings

64 posts in this topic

...And Callum Watkins scores for England as I read this! :lol:

Very happy to see Mills back on board. While his contribution in the early part of 2012 was disappointing, towards the end of the season he was far more effective. Hopefully Steve McCormack has now worked out how to get the best out of him and it will be his good form that continues into 2013.

The squad still needs an Adam Walker type (or two) joining him to give a competitive front row.

The other two definitely have potential, but the Championship will be a step up. They might prove good enough, only time will tell.

Agreed about adam walker. Bit of an unsung hero last year, made a real impact in our front row, scored a fair few tries as well. I imagine with the Warrington connection we will be seeing more of Glenn Riley also.

I remain to be convinced on the supposed benefits of the "partnership" - its very noticable that several of the most promising young Warrington players from last season have preferred to join other clubs rather than be part of it. eg Brooke Broughton, who has gone to Doncaster.

The forward line up still needs serious reinforcement.

Philh, the Warrington youngsters you have quoted as moving on could be surplus to Warringtons requirements. According to our meeting at Swinton Legion Dual reg. players will be paid super league contract wages by Warrington. Any player leaving to go to championship clubs would be stepping down to semi-pro wages I can't see them doing that, but there again i might be wrong.

I dont think theyll have any rubbish replacements either! Its fair enough not being convinced about the partnership its all new and could be a disaster a roaring success or fair to middling,but Warrington dont do poor players .

I agree about our forwards ,we need some more big uns. Adam Walker would be great but I fear too expensive. PJ surely must be a target for us.

Philh, the Warrington youngsters you have quoted as moving on could be surplus to Warringtons requirements. According to our meeting at Swinton Legion Dual reg. players will be paid super league contract wages by Warrington. Any player leaving to go to championship clubs would be stepping down to semi-pro wages I can't see them doing that, but there again i might be wrong.

Matty Blythe hasn't stepped down to semi-pro wages, but he's gone to Bradford on a one-year loan. That instance is easier to live with, as the player is taking a chance of first team rugby elsewhere in Super League - that's obviously something Swinton Lions cannot offer.

What is disappointing in my eyes is to see young players that fall into the bracket of too old for the new academy set up chosing to leave Warrington and join other sides in the Championship, ahead of being part of this partnership with Swinton.

There could be a number of reasons why players have left Warrington for other clubs. It could also be that our coaching team has already identified the players who they want on dual reg next season and it didn't include any that have moved elsewhere. I get the feeling you are angling at fashioning a problem that may not exist.

This has to be given time to see if it will be of benefit to Swinton.

In relation to PJ, can we afford his wages anymore?

Bemused by the re-signing of Mills. People are saying near the end of the season he looked much better, but he was still terrible IMO.

the reason a lot of players are leaving SL clubs, they have been told they are not required and advised to find another club, they do not have a choice in the matterlets hope some of these "cast offs" make it and come back to haunt thier original clubs

I have to say I too am not a fan of Mills - he just did not do enough often enough for me - sorry but thats my - I do hope he proves me wrong in the coming season.

Does anyone have any news on Morty - or have I missed something ?

I have to say I too am not a fan of Mills - he just did not do enough often enough for me - sorry but thats my - I do hope he proves me wrong in the

Does anyone have any news on Morty - or have I missed something ?

i believe morty is off to oz with dale

Im not going to get all doom and gloom at this point, but I hope mac has something up his sleeve, because the way I see it, at the moment we have a very skinny squad that I wouldnt say has anywhere near the quality of last years. And there is relegation this year in case anyone forgot...

Im starting to fear for swinton, only 16 players signed up and pre-season already underway a lot of the better players will be signed up by now.

Alex had a top game for Scotland against England Knights last weekend and created the first try with an eighty metre weaving run through the Knights defence and got in a nice hit on George Burgess too :-).

Broncos Manager Tony Rea was there watching the action so he must have been impressed.

Riggy

That is exactly how Alex explained it to me last week. Like he said, " he'll go and get a full month of full time training and if he is good enough Swinton will get the credit for producing a Super League player or he comes back to us very fit." Good luck to the lad I say.

Adam Higson's long rumoured return to Leigh has been officially confirmed - reported in League Express today. He's not going to be available until Spring due to having had a knee reconstruction, but his departure is still a major loss of strength compared to last season.

It would be a big blow to lose Alex Hurst at this stage. Given Tom Armstrong and Higson have already gone, I was hoping Hurst might come to the fore in 2013 at centre. If Hurst moves on that's another important area of the squad that looks decidedly light, and Hurst won't be easy to replace - perhaps it will mean another 12 months for Gavin Dodd?

I had a feeling some fortunate circumstances helped with the recruitment of several decent players last season and 2013 was likely to be harder. Its certainly looking that way at the moment.

Personally I cant understand the struggle for us to recruit players at this level. There are two teams in Lancashire in our division. And weve only managed to get 16 players signed up (possibly 15 if Hurst goes). And of the 15 id say, in my opinion, there are only about 10 of those good enough for our division. So theres no way im having that we are struggling to find players. Fair enough Leigh are going to get the best players in this area due to their resources, but there must be plenty of talent knocking about.

I get the feeling somehow that this whole stadium thing coming to the fore in recent weeks and our apparent lack of squad may be connected. (lack of funds etc).

I am beginning to get a little bit worried now about our squad, Steve Mc always as his squad confirmed by Nov and gets them ready for pre season. This is the first season where we look un organised in the playing side, lets hope this is a minor blip. Looking at our side we have lost some big players i.e. Cunliffe, Morrison, Morty hope the gaffer as something lined up.

As anyone heard anything about the new ground????