Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bowes

New Cumbria League next season?

34 posts in this topic

I think the proposed fixtures allow for the odd week break and it seems they have allowed for flexibility. It's based on a summer season with no big breaks from what iv heard.

If all 10 clubs agree to it I certainly can't see it being any worse than what they are doing now, my feeling is that it would be an improvement by some way on what try are doing now.

Barrow island and walney are for it from what i know, I just hope the other Furness clubs see the sense in it

Out of interest, does anyone know how many home games were canceled for the Barrow based clubs over the last season by teams not traveling?

Also, how many forfeited games did Ulverston have enroute to winning the league?

Ulverston and Hindpool both had about 6 in division 3. Roose and Walney both had at least 2 each in division 1.

There has been plenty of games forfeited and not all involve Cumbrian sides. I think that we need to give the NWML at least another season so teams can be placed at the appropriate level.

Division 3 was a nightmare this year by all accounts, it seems to have had by far the most 24-0s.

It looks to me like it could work and be a very good venture, but realistically it needs 10-12 teams to work. The biggest gripe in west Cumbria is from clubs not having regular games, mainly caused by gaps due to the number of cup games. If the league could get up and running with 12 teams, Cumbria Cup and one local competition for each end, then I think we could see a fantastic level of competition.

I can't see why the Barrow clubs are so apprehensive if it didn't work they could always go back to the NWC

NW Men's premier will be interesting with the loss of up to 5 clubs to the NCL, the potential loss of Barrow clubs, the loss of Rylands and Golborne Parkside to winter and the problems at Halton Simms Cross, Widnes St Maries and Clock Face Miners.

If that's going to be the case in the NWC then surely its better to form our own Cumbrian based competition with established sides who will oprovide a more even level of competition?

I think we are in danger if missing a fantastic opportunity here to give Cumbrian RL some identity

I think the same, it looks like the Northwest mens league is going to be even weaker than it was this year.