Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The city or countryside!

56 posts in this topic

I live in the sticks and work in the city - best of both worlds. I can hang with the hipsters in the Northern Quarter, then go home and not be intimidated by cows and sheep.

Hmmmm. Anything else you want to tell us? :O:ph34r:

When I was a student, my wife and I had a week's holiday in Llandudno. Money was very tight so we spent most of what we had on a B&B (with evening meal included) so at least we were guaranteed food and accommodation. With little spending money we seemed to spend much of our time wandering around the various parts of the Great Orme. It is still the place we make for when we are there.

I was up there on Saturday and it never fails to inspire. The copper mines are worth a visit, if you haven't been down them yet. Heading up the Great Orme from the South Shore, you will eventually see where they tested weapons during the Second World War. Just offshore, a submarine sank after her launch from Liverpool, resulting in many deaths.

I was up there on Saturday and it never fails to inspire. The copper mines are worth a visit, if you haven't been down them yet. Heading up the Great Orme from the South Shore, you will eventually see where they tested weapons during the Second World War. Just offshore, a submarine sank after her launch from Liverpool, resulting in many deaths.

Nearly. If it's the sub i know about, it was the Thetis. It sank in Liverpool Bay and washed up at Llandudno. Only one survivor a Leading Stoker Arnold. It was rescued, refitted and relaunched as the Thunderbolt. It was sunk in the Med by an Italian corvair (corvette?). One of my relatives was a mate of L.S. Arnold and applied for the gig on Thetis. Arnold got the job on Thetis, my uncle Fred got the job on Thunderbolt and went down with her.

edit to add: It sank because a fleck of paint covered the outer door locked sensor on one of the torpedo tubes. To show the dignitaries (launch and maiden voyage) how good the sub was, a seaman opened the inner door, believing the outer one was closed. It wasn't. The sub sat nose down, tail sticking out of the water in Liverpool Bay for quite a long time but nobody could get into it and rescue the people.

Nearly. If it's the sub i know about, it was the Thetis. It sank in Liverpool Bay and washed up at Llandudno. Only one survivor a Leading Stoker Arnold. It was rescued, refitted and relaunched as the Thunderbolt. It was sunk in the Med by an Italian corvair (corvette?). One of my relatives was a mate of L.S. Arnold and applied for the gig on Thetis. Arnold got the job on Thetis, my uncle Fred got the job on Thunderbolt and went down with her.

edit to add: It sank because a fleck of paint covered the outer door locked sensor on one of the torpedo tubes. To show the dignitaries (launch and maiden voyage) how good the sub was, a seaman opened the inner door, believing the outer one was closed. It wasn't. The sub sat nose down, tail sticking out of the water in Liverpool Bay for quite a long time but nobody could get into it and rescue the people.

Some pictures (and the story) http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/thetis/subs.htm

Some pictures (and the story) http://www.cyber-her...thetis/subs.htm

Thanks for that. A sad, sad story. To this day, it seems incredible that they couldn't rescue the people on board.

Coast.

Since I've been down here I have discovered some really nice quiet beaches & places to hide chill out

Press cuttings in New Brighton fort tell of the sub being over crowded on her launch and sinking off Llandudno! It was still a major disaster at the time wherever it sank.

Some family story, although very sad.

Coast.

Since I've been down here I have discovered some really nice quiet beaches & places to hide chill out

Where?

we were once on A pub trip to Bridlington to play in the National dominoes/5sand3s final's we were from the Daisy in Bramley,and as we were passing those nice pleasant villages someone said wouldn't it be nice to live in country villages like this.To which most of us nodded agreement,apart from Cooky who said not me there's only one pub in some of these places if I get barred there's no where for me to go

we were once on A pub trip to Bridlington to play in the National dominoes/5sand3s final's we were from the Daisy in Bramley,and as we were passing those nice pleasant villages someone said wouldn't it be nice to live in country villages like this.To which most of us nodded agreement,apart from Cooky who said not me there's only one pub in some of these places if I get barred there's no where for me to go

Went to Bridlington this year but with mixed feelings about the place. That said, the chalk cliffs offered some great walks.

Went to Bridlington this year but with mixed feelings about the place. That said, the chalk cliffs offered some great walks.

Brid is a hell hole that makes Blackpool look classy.

I know it sounds a very nice idea, but be careful of the "retire to the countryside" idea. It sounds great, but what if you cannot afford to run a car or if you become unable to drive due to a medical condition? You can get very isolated in villages. Small towns on the edge of the countryside are probably a better idea, especially if there are some public transport links. But if you like the city, then it does offer many advantages.

Brid is a hell hole that makes Blackpool look classy.

The Old Town around Bridlington Priory is very nice indeed.

Most visitors haven't got a clue it's there.

"Live" is probably too strong a word.

I survive in Hull.

Brilliantly done mate.

How to take the wind out of somebody's sails.

Live in the centre of Swindon, well in an SN1 postcode, but within 5mins walk of the countryside so not too bad.

Want to live within a 5min walk of a good surf break so my order of preferance is

Coast

Countryside

City

Swindon itself is fairly nondescript, but there are some lovely places, small towns and countryside, not too far away.

Although I like visiting cities and what they have to offer, it's the countryside and coast that pulls the heartstrings for me. I do know of people who hate the countryside and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else other than in a city. Some city dwellers have never even seen farm animals apart from on TV.

What's your preference and what attractions do you enjoy?

If it were up to me I'd live miles from the next nearest house. The missus won't have that so we live in a village. A goo compromise.

I tend to work in that London for a few months of the year and I do still enjoy it. These days, I enjoy leaving back to the North more though!

It's a time of life thing. I moved to London in 1998 and spent 8 raucous years there, the first four years living with three blokes from Uni days. It was an amazing time and I'll always look back fondly on it. Some of the escapades and scrapes we got into were a bit near the knuckle...

I'm past that now and happier up in the hills. It's nice to be able to put on your boots and walk out to a spot within an hour or so where there's nothing but wind, rain and your own thoughts.

But I absolutely think everyone should spend their 20s living in a big city. Preferably one far from home.

Speaking of which, I'm off to Sydney again next week. If I were ten years younger, then I think I could live there for a few years pretty happily. I thought seriously about moving there in 2001, but illness put paid to it. Missed the chance now I think.

Speaking of which, I'm off to Sydney again next week. If I were ten years younger, then I think I could live there for a few years pretty happily. I thought seriously about moving there in 2001, but illness put paid to it. Missed the chance now I think.

Now we ARE talking, Steve. Similarly I didn't take the chance in my 20's and have missed the boat (so to speak). Just come back from my 10th trip over there. At 2 and a half weeks at a time, it's taken me 10 years to live in Sydney for 6 months :lol:

If the opportunity arose, I'd go tomorrow.

As it is, I'm already planning next year's jaunt!

Have a good time.

The Old Town around Bridlington Priory is very nice indeed.

Most visitors haven't got a clue it's there.

I agree. The Priory is very interesting.

I lived for several years on top of the hill above Ampleforth College. The nearest neigbour was 1/4 of a mile away, and it was about 1.5 miles to the village. Wonderful place, incredible views - we were lent a telescope once, and you could tell the time by the church clock in Pickering (16 miles away) and see the tips of the Humber Bridge towers on a really clear day.

I've lived in London since 1987, though, and wonder how I would re-adapt to the countryside.

I lived for several years on top of the hill above Ampleforth College. The nearest neigbour was 1/4 of a mile away, and it was about 1.5 miles to the village. Wonderful place, incredible views - we were lent a telescope once, and you could tell the time by the church clock in Pickering (16 miles away) and see the tips of the Humber Bridge towers on a really clear day.

I've lived in London since 1987, though, and wonder how I would re-adapt to the countryside.

I have the best of both worlds. Living at the top of the village next to farmland, I can see the mountains in North Wales on a clear day. That said, I am close to a library, doctors, dentist, shops and pubs. The M6 is very handy, as well as Wigan and St Helens. Living semi-rural couldn't be better.

I have the best of both worlds. Living at the top of the village next to farmland, I can see the mountains in North Wales on a clear day. That said, I am close to a library, doctors, dentist, shops and pubs. The M6 is very handy, as well as Wigan and St Helens. Living semi-rural couldn't be better.

best of both,sounds ok

Never lived in the country, but have lived in two large-ish towns and two biggish cities (Manchester and Brussels). Can't imagine not living in a city now, but I guess my tastes will change down the line.

Just been out in that there countryside on me pushbike. It was so clear you could see Flamborough Head from Weedley with the naked eye. That's a distance of about 30 miles.