Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The city or countryside!

56 posts in this topic

Just been out in that there countryside on me pushbike. It was so clear you could see Flamborough Head from Weedley with the naked eye. That's a distance of about 30 miles.

Whilst walking from Flamborough Head, I came across a lot of poems and writings on boards placed at the side of a path. Seems like generations have had their say!

The countryside is great for cycling and walking.

I don't know who in their right mind would want to live there.

I like to think I have the best of both worlds. I live in a small village on the Calder Valley hillside, where we have stunning views looking down the valley. Our local is a two minute walk, and serves good food and an excellent range of Tim Taylor's beers. From my house, I can go out walking on the moors or local woods, get on my motorbike and straight out onto great roads or be in the centre of town within 15 mins walk. In town, we have excellent butchers, green grocers, a good selection (if sometimes expensive) selection of independent shops and more good pubs & restaurants. If I want city life, Leeds and Manchester are both under an hour away by train or car. Only downside is the 80 mile round trip to get to home games. B)

I like to think I have the best of both worlds. I live in a small village on the Calder Valley hillside, where we have stunning views looking down the valley. Our local is a two minute walk, and serves good food and an excellent range of Tim Taylor's beers. From my house, I can go out walking on the moors or local woods, get on my motorbike and straight out onto great roads or be in the centre of town within 15 mins walk. In town, we have excellent butchers, green grocers, a good selection (if sometimes expensive) selection of independent shops and more good pubs & restaurants. If I want city life, Leeds and Manchester are both under an hour away by train or car. Only downside is the 80 mile round trip to get to home games. B)

Going back many years, an elderly gentleman (then in his late seventies/early eighties) from Oldham used to cycle to away matches.

An offcumden eh? ;)

They don't take kindly to strangers round there tha knows. :D

An offcumden eh? ;)

They don't take kindly to strangers round there tha knows. :D

I know. Good job the wife is a born and bred local then. :lol: She actually went to school with Stuart Fielden as it happens, both the village school and the local high school.