Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matthew walker rl

Should the Wales head coach get sacked?

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Wales head coach get sacked?

• Yes
    • Depends on the performance at the World Cup
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

After Wales's performance in the Autumn International Series and the fact he was putting down the team on British TV, should he be sacked?

I think Harris should be given until after the WC, as for his criticism, probably just disappointment. However, given his comments regarding Tomkins been the best he has ever seen, then talking out of the back of his head (or some more suitable orifice) doesn't bode well for him been able to handle the pressure of the media.

We have to remember that the majority of the Welsh team are part-timers and I think replacing Briers will be a big pair of boots to fill.

Nobody - least of all me - will be shocked by the scoreline and fair play to the welsh for not dropping their heads.

If they get tanked in the WC then Harris should not have to wait to be pushed.

TBH, this question shoudld not even be being asked.

Would sacking Harris improve Wales as a team? No.

Would sacking Harris improve Wales chances in the WC? No

Would sacking Harris satisfy the fans? I doubt it very much.

Would it be typical of the old regime to want to get rid of him just becuase of yesterday's result. Oh yes.

Why would Harris be sacked - for his inability to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

Just as when England fail to win the World Cup, sacking McNamara won't be the answer then, either.

I think Harris did the best he could with the squad available to him. One good feature was that we have at least some genuine Welsh lads playing. They can only get better. We get ###### in RU but they always talk it up. It's time we gave our game a few quodos. Let be positive. We complain about lack of media coverage, if we think the game is poor then the coverage wont improve.

Why would Harris be sacked - for his inability to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

Just as when England fail to win the World Cup, sacking McNamara won't be the answer then, either.

What a Juvenile response.

What a silly question..... If they sack Harris you can stop playing league in Wales.

Whether Iestyn Harris gets sacked is up to the Wales RL. It's nothing to do with the English fans.

Iestyn is doing a decent job.

Whether Iestyn Harris gets sacked is up to the Wales RL. It's nothing to do with the English fans.

Iestyn is doing a decent job.

It's nothing to do with the English fans, ok, anything about Wales and bulls you comment on, everything else do one!!

Cardiff Blues had 59 points stuck on them by Leinster yesterday. Five of the Blues team will almost certainly tour with the British Lions this summer and three will be in the test team.

Does that mean that the coach should get sacked? No, because he's only been there for nine games and is having to change the mentality of the club as well as the on-pitch performance.

It's nothing to do with the English fans, ok, anything about Wales and bulls you comment on, everything else do one!!

I apologise if my post seemed aggressive but the original premise of sacking Iestyn Harris after one bad result is a joke. Last week, everyone was saying how the Welsh were a promising team.

I never say what England should do; though I do comment on McNamara's selections. I always used to when he was at the Bulls as well!!

I don't pretend that I'm right and any given coach is wrong.

Salford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Cas and London have never won anything for about thirty years. Would it have improved their performance if, halfway through every season, they sacked their coaches?

I apologise if my post seemed aggressive but the original premise of sacking Iestyn Harris after one bad result is a joke. Last week, everyone was saying how the Welsh were a promising team.

I never say what England should do; though I do comment on McNamara's selections. I always used to when he was at the Bulls as well!!

I don't pretend that I'm right and any given coach is wrong.

Salford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Cas and London have never won anything for about thirty years. Would it have improved their performance if, halfway through every season, they sacked their coaches?

No apology needed, your a great poster, just though I'd post a strong comment towards you.

Wales need to be left alone, there doing a great job north,south and internationally. I don't know what people expect.

There not far off France IMHO and you've beaten them a far few times in recent years.

Good day to you and continue to fly the flag for Wales, I think there great!!

A fellow poster on here Cofi...... Loves his rugby, his welsh rugby league and doesnt post on here anymore due to the bitterness towards others.... I say leave Harris, Wales and the cc1 to grow and Wales will surprise a few in years to come.

Was thinking which was the worst defensive effort of the weekend, rugby wise, Blues RU 1st half or Wales RL 2nd half? The joys of backing the underdog.

What a Juvenile response.

I thank you for your expert line by line rebuttal of my assertions - I would have assumed, since you bothered to respond, that you would have had something specific to disagree with in my analysis, maybe even something sensible to add however, since you didn't, I'll just thank you for your interest.

Wales have just lost to England by a margin of 68 points in a performance that was much worse than those against the same opposition and Australia a year ago. In other words, the team has gone backwards under his tenure and far from being sacked, he should have the decency to fall on his sword.

Wales have just lost to England by a margin of 68 points in a performance that was much worse than those against the same opposition and Australia a year ago. In other words, the team has gone backwards under his tenure and far from being sacked, he should have the decency to fall on his sword.

You having a laugh or being serious??

Harris is doing well with the team he has, in parts Wales looked dangerous with ball in hand, this was also alluded to by the commentary team. .... Wales didn't have much ball and I think it's work in progress, They gave the frogs AGAIN a run for their euros!

He's lost six on the trot now however listening to him in the press today, it does seem he wants to put it right. However I don't agree with him putting down the team on Breakfast TV.

No keep him in charge just needs a stronger squad i think.

No keep him in charge just needs a stronger squad i think.

And time

I thank you for your expert line by line rebuttal of my assertions - I would have assumed, since you bothered to respond, that you would have had something specific to disagree with in my analysis, maybe even something sensible to add however, since you didn't, I'll just thank you for your interest.

I thought it was fair enough, Bulliac.

The difference between coaching a national team and a club team is you can't just go out and sign better players. They have to be qualified - at least tenuously.

I thought it was fair enough, Bulliac.

The difference between coaching a national team and a club team is you can't just go out and sign better players. They have to be qualified - at least tenuously.

That is very true, unfortunately the trouble is that coaches always seem to be judged by results and it really is the worst way to look at it, for internationals even more than league games. How well Wales do in these competitions is always affected far more by the players who are available for selection than anything the coach does (or doesn't do), and to be fair, a mixed team of half decent SL players and a few part-timers would be very unlikely to give a strong England a decent work out, let alone a beating and it would be just the same if the entire Kangaroo back room team of coaches and conditioners were drafted in to do the job..

The only fair way to look at Harris' job with Wales is to ask if he's improved the team and the individuals within it and if the answer to that is yes then he's done a good job, imo - irrespective of the score against England.

Wales are on their worst losing run in almost 30 years and have conceded 80 points for the first time ever. However it wasn't a record defeat as some are saying and there were positives. Iestyn Harris has a long term plan and I think it's best to wait to see what happens next year. I have fears about the Australian Italy side that will come over but we need to tonk Cook Islands and USA. Anything less and there is something wrong. However it's a five year plan for Iestyn and team so I can't see him going until at least 2017 if then.

TBH, this question shoudld not even be being asked.

Would sacking Harris improve Wales as a team? No.

Would sacking Harris improve Wales chances in the WC? No

Would sacking Harris satisfy the fans? I doubt it very much.

Would it be typical of the old regime to want to get rid of him just becuase of yesterday's result. Oh yes.

This.

Support Harris and Wales RL. In 5 years I expect them to have built on what they have already and start to play really meaningful games. The same goes for Ireland and Scotland.

Wales are on their worst losing run in almost 30 years and have conceded 80 points for the first time ever. However it wasn't a record defeat as some are saying and there were positives. Iestyn Harris has a long term plan and I think it's best to wait to see what happens next year. I have fears about the Australian Italy side that will come over but we need to tonk Cook Islands and USA. Anything less and there is something wrong. However it's a five year plan for Iestyn and team so I can't see him going until at least 2017 if then.

Like the Italians, the Cooks team will be stacked full of NRL players, although they've got a long established domestic comp and produce some of their own players. They've got a handy side, so the Welsh need to be careful about that game. Should take care of the USA easily enough though.

The thing is the game in Wales is really only five years into existence, despite the history, etc. It's not long back that there were few if any teams playing regularly in the principality and there was no real junior/schools development to speak of. In the space of those five years we've seen the likes of Flower, Dudson, White and Kear, Williams all step up to SL and do well, and now we've got Lloyd, Evans x2, Pugsley, Olds and Pring on the verge of making that same break through. If we keep going then five years from now there will be 20 born and bred Welshmen playing in SL. Another five down the track and it will be even more. The evidence is front of us; when they get the opportunity to play it the Welsh like RL.

Alternatively, we can look at one result, start b*tching, and throw the towel in.