Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

town4me

calls for new two tier SL set up.

9 posts in this topic

Apparently Calls are being made by some in the SL circles for a two tier league structure with two leagues of ten being formed with promotion and relegation re-introduced. Meetings are due to take place in november to discuss the league structure. Hmmmmm not sure what to make of that idea.

fax sheffield leigh fev and prob a couple of french teams would make the numbers up dont think cumbrian teams have a chance of getting n if it happens

Aye all 3 cumbrian teams would miss out im afraid

I'm guessing the bottom 4 in SL would join the top 6 in the championship to form SL 2. I think one other idea on the cards is to just reduce the size of SL. I think that might just form an unofficial SL 2 anyway.

It's been on the cards for a few seasons, but is the move more to do with Sky reducing the Super League contract when it's next up for negotiation? I can't imagine that the RFL would be looking into this idea unless there was an ulterior motive somewhere?

There has been a lot of talk about reducing SL to 10 clubs over the past 2 or 3 years but of course not every SL club was happy with that as 4 would lose out on the financial advantage. The next thing was to do away with Under 18 and Under 20 teams and just have an Under 20 team and link with Championship clubs to save SL clubs each £100,000 per season. Now two SL divisions would mean scaling down the amounts each club gets from Sky with the pot being divided between 20 clubs. This is also probably a sop to get round the P & R issue between the two divisions but there would still be no P & R between SL2 and the Championships. I get the feeling that this is another SL idea that wont get off the drawing board as I can't see a majority of SL clubs taking a cut in their income when several are struggling financially.

There has been a lot of talk about reducing SL to 10 clubs over the past 2 or 3 years but of course not every SL club was happy with that as 4 would lose out on the financial advantage. The next thing was to do away with Under 18 and Under 20 teams and just have an Under 20 team and link with Championship clubs to save SL clubs each £100,000 per season. Now two SL divisions would mean scaling down the amounts each club gets from Sky with the pot being divided between 20 clubs. This is also probably a sop to get round the P & R issue between the two divisions but there would still be no P & R between SL2 and the Championships. I get the feeling that this is another SL idea that wont get off the drawing board as I can't see a majority of SL clubs taking a cut in their income when several are struggling financially.

What i think will happen is the 10 SL would still get the 1.2 mill they get and the other 10 would share the 4.8 mill the other 4 SL teams get now so around 480k each

What i think will happen is the 10 SL would still get the 1.2 mill they get and the other 10 would share the 4.8 mill the other 4 SL teams get now so around 480k each

So basically you think that SL will drop 4 clubs and those four will then have to share the money they get from Sky with 6 other clubs. I can't see that happening, donald!!!!!