Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mark richardson

your top ten

29 posts in this topic

I'm bored senseless without my rugby fix

Who are your top ten players you've seen play for Swinton?

Danny Wilson

Les Holiday

Martin Lee

Derek Bate

Wayne English

Ian Watson

Scott Ranson

Paul Mellor

Simon Ashcroft

John Allen

These players lasted with us and gave us seasons of service ... a few others gave us moments of brilliance

Richard henare

Jimmy veikoso

George Mann

Alva Drummond

Kel earl

John clough

Terry Scott

Tex Evans

Any others ?

Mark Reily

Mark Welsby

Wayne English

Chris Osullivan

Joe Ropati

Phil Wood

Gary Ainsworth

Lee Paterson

Danny Wilson

Shane Tupuea (or how ever you spell it)

In fact going through the list on this post - we've had some good players at the club haven't we.....

Bored too, Patriots have the weekend off!

I would start with Gowers, Stopford, Buckley, Fleet, Speed, right on through the rest of the 62-63 champions!

Les Holliday number 1 by far, after that its a "selection headache".

The club has certainly had some great Kiwis, would be nice to get those days back. Joe Grima a.k.a. enforcer in chief, Roby Muller the greatest bargain buy of all time, Mike Kuiti, Shane Tupaea, Logan Edwards, Paddy Tuimavave, Mark Riley, George Mann.

Other players I'm surprised have not been mentioned are Tony Morrison, Mark Shealds, Andy Coley, Tim Street, Tommy Frodsham, Andy Pucill, Garry Ainsworth, Sean Casey, Paul Topping.

Bored too, Patriots have the weekend off!

I would start with Gowers, Stopford, Buckley, Fleet, Speed, right on through the rest of the 62-63 champions!

Being from much the same generation as 'lionsfanusa' my top ten would follow much the same lines.

My TOP TEN Lions (in no particular order) who I saw play for the club are...

Ken Gowers, Alan Buckley, John Stopford, Graham Williams, Albert Blan, Dave Robinson, Barry Simpson, Bob Fleet, Ken Halliwell and George Parkinson.

But any number of at least another dozen or so would also be well worth their places in the above.

What a wonderful privilege to spend much of your youth on the terraces of Station Road during the 1960s.

Dave Robinson.

Billy "Daz"Davies

Derek Clarke,

Les Holiday.

Danny Wilson.

George Parkinson.

Albert Blan.

Ken Gowers.

Alan Buckley.

Johnny Stopford.

Sub: Dick Evans.

Grahame Williams.

Bill Holiday.

I'm sorry foryou young un's with some of the choices you have had to make. A lot of them second raters . Now lets get down to the nitty gritty and look at some real ledgends. KEN GOWERS, finest player ever to wear the number 1 shirt for Swinton, a Great Britain international. JOHNNY STOPFORD fantastic winger, like grease lightening, could beat a player on a sixpence,aGreat Britain international. ALAN BUCKLEY fab. centre very fast, very strong, great tackler and a wingers centre. a Great Britain inter national. DAVE ROBINSON brilliant loose forward could create gaps for fun,had the speed of a threequarter, aGreat Britain international.GEORGY PARKINSON my favourite stand off in my life time, hard as nails even the opposition forwards were scared of him, had to be the finest stand off never to win a cap. BILLY DAZ DAVIS replaced Parkinson as a 16 year old. Lived up to his name as the dazzler could split open a defence from nothing, aGreat Britain international. BILL HOLIDAY signed from HULL KR .Great loose forward with a tactical brain to match. A Great Britain international. GRAHAM WILLIAMS a great scrum half with a fantastic turn of pace, more than a match for Alex Murphy on his day . Emigrated to Australia and played for Manly. Tragically killed over there in a motor bike accident. ALBERT BLAN the captain of the great LIONS team .fab. player fab tactition who made the team tick. Finally DANNY WILSON a great player who could have been even better only for his wayward ways. So there you are sorry to you younger end the did'nt see the best , but who knows there might come a time in the future when you will have great players to cheer on, lets all keep our fingers crossed that this happens.

Les Holliday number 1 by far, after that its a "selection headache".

The club has certainly had some great Kiwis, would be nice to get those days back. Joe Grima a.k.a. enforcer in chief, Roby Muller the greatest bargain buy of all time, Mike Kuiti, Shane Tupaea, Logan Edwards, Paddy Tuimavave, Mark Riley, George Mann.

Other players I'm surprised have not been mentioned are Tony Morrison, Mark Shealds, Andy Coley, Tim Street, Tommy Frodsham, Andy Pucill, Garry Ainsworth, Sean Casey, Paul Topping.

Sean Casey will be delighted ...I'll let him know. Good call Phil

God knows how I forgot mark riley and tommy Frodsham

I'm sorry foryou young un's with some of the choices you have had to make. A lot of them second raters . Now lets get down to the nitty gritty and look at some real ledgends. KEN GOWERS, finest player ever to wear the number 1 shirt for Swinton, a Great Britain international. JOHNNY STOPFORD fantastic winger, like grease lightening, could beat a player on a sixpence,aGreat Britain international. ALAN BUCKLEY fab. centre very fast, very strong, great tackler and a wingers centre. a Great Britain inter national. DAVE ROBINSON brilliant loose forward could create gaps for fun,had the speed of a threequarter, aGreat Britain international.GEORGY PARKINSON my favourite stand off in my life time, hard as nails even the opposition forwards were scared of him, had to be the finest stand off never to win a cap. BILLY DAZ DAVIS replaced Parkinson as a 16 year old. Lived up to his name as the dazzler could split open a defence from nothing, aGreat Britain international. BILL HOLIDAY signed from HULL KR .Great loose forward with a tactical brain to match. A Great Britain international. GRAHAM WILLIAMS a great scrum half with a fantastic turn of pace, more than a match for Alex Murphy on his day . Emigrated to Australia and played for Manly. Tragically killed over there in a motor bike accident. ALBERT BLAN the captain of the great LIONS team .fab. player fab tactition who made the team tick. Finally DANNY WILSON a great player who could have been even better only for his wayward ways. So there you are sorry to you younger end the did'nt see the best , but who knows there might come a time in the future when you will have great players to cheer on, lets all keep our fingers crossed that this happens.

I'm 43! I tell my dad how lucky he is regularly to have seen the 60s men.

My grandad had the honour to see the pre war greats too.

I'm sure us young uns enjoy our memories just as much though

1. Rob Whittaker

‚ÄčThe rest don't matter after that!!!

Brilliant selection, can't disagree with anything there but as previously stated the older we are the greater selection span - I always remember my dad telling me how great the 27/28 team were and that Martin Hodgson was the greatest player he had seen not to mention Billo Rees, Bryn Evans etc etc but even my dad did then acknowledge how great that team of 62/63 were.The stars of that team were not only outstanding players for the lions but also stars of rugby league as can be seen in the selection for Lancashire against Australia on 29 September 1963 when Gowers,Buckley,Stopford and Graham Williams played and then 2 weeks later in the Great Britain team against Australia at Swinton when Gowers,Stopford and Ron Morgan played.

Brilliant selection, can't disagree with anything there but as previously stated the older we are the greater selection span - I always remember my dad telling me how great the 27/28 team were and that Martin Hodgson was the greatest player he had seen not to mention Billo Rees, Bryn Evans etc etc but even my dad did then acknowledge how great that team of 62/63 were.The stars of that team were not only outstanding players for the lions but also stars of rugby league as can be seen in the selection for Lancashire against Australia on 29 September 1963 when Gowers,Buckley,Stopford and Graham Williams played and then 2 weeks later in the Great Britain team against Australia at Swinton when Gowers,Stopford and Ron Morgan played.

Sorry about that, clicked on the wrong button!

My Dad never stopped telling me how the likes of Martin Hodgson would play the 60s squad off the park!

As for memorable matches, while the Cup replay v Wigan is way up there, the 2-2 draw with the Aussie touring team goes down as the most nail-biting, especially as Albert Blan missed a penalty fairly close in with minutes left. A Titanic struggle!

Well, I can't name the greats of the 60's, but my dad would have Stopford as his number 1!

Here's my list (all very recent, and very biased)

Wayne English

Simon Ashcroft

Ian Watson

Lee Patterson

Phil Wood

Steve Gartland

Chris Hough (Mainly for causing the pitch invasion of 2006)

Ian Mort (The best goal-kicker i've seen in a Swinton shirt)

Andy Coley

Sean Casey

As said previously we can all have have our opinions on the great players of the past and our opinion will be influenced by the era in which we watched the Lions, but if we were to select the greatest clubman of all time, I think we can go no further than the legend I was privilged to speak to at the Past Players Reunion in June - the great Ken Gowers, his record speaks for itself - a 1 clubman

Club Appearances 602

Time with the Lions 19 seasons (1954-1973)

Points in his career 2105

Goals in his career 970

Goals in a match 12 Liverpool City October 1957

England Cap 1962

GB caps 1962.1963,1964,1965 and 1966

GB vice captain 1966 tour of Australia

for me again the legend that is Ken Gowers