Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Frightful

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

93 posts in this topic

Wigan are not a one man team.

He will not be leaving them in the ######.

I agree, but Wigan are going to take a step back with or without Hock, the loss of Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Lima and Fielden is a lot of experience and talent missing all at once. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing the new generation pushing through, but expectations will have to be lowered as I just don't see Smith and Green developing into an above average half back partnership.

I agree, but Wigan are going to take a step back with or without Hock, the loss of Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Lima and Fielden is a lot of experience and talent missing all at once. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing the new generation pushing through, but expectations will have to be lowered as I just don't see Smith and Green developing into an above average half back partnership.

I reckon the whole of SL will take a step back within the next two seasons as the Aussie cash avalanche starts to be felt - no decent imports and a flood of emigrants from our game.

Wigan are not a one man team.

He will not be leaving them in the ######.

Where did I say you're a one man team???

No team is a one man club, I agree.

Opinions differ on leaving you in the poo..... After supporting him, educating him, he leaves a massive gap.

Is that not right?

Could Jack Hughes not be a replacement if necessary or is he not ready yet?

Could Jack Hughes not be a replacement if necessary or is he not ready yet?

Of course he could be used as a replacement, but he's nowhere near as explosive or as important as hock

Great player for the future, future full international. I right him highly ( doesn't matter what I think lol)

It's funny this thread, a wire giving compliements to a Wigan player and getting grief for my opinion, maybe I should say he's a waster, a druggie, a thug with the ability to lose his temper...... But no, he's better than all that he's one of England's best players and hock isn't easy to replace......

Of course he could be used as a replacement, but he's nowhere near as explosive or as important as hock

Great player for the future, future full international. I right him highly ( doesn't matter what I think lol)

It's funny this thread, a wire giving compliements to a Wigan player and getting grief for my opinion, maybe I should say he's a waster, a druggie, a thug with the ability to lose his temper...... But no, he's better than all that he's one of England's best players and hock isn't easy to replace......

Hock is a great player and difficult to replace in terms of attacking impact, but he also has a number of shortcomings in his game that don't help the team on occasions.

Hughes is deceivingly quick, he can accelerate very quickly. Obviously he doesn't have the power or offload that Hock has, but if he bulks up abit whilst keeping the pace I think Wigan could mould him into his replacement in the next year.

But if Wigan lost Hock, Finch, Carmont, Leuleuai and Lima I don't think they will be challenging next year unfortunately.

Hocks head is in oz

It might just be that he's not as good as you've been making out. He's always had a cheeky Hock-on in him.

It might just be that he's not as good as you've been making out. He's always had a cheeky Hock-on in him.

Everyone has an opinion..... I'd have hock in our team 100%

Hughes is deceivingly quick, he can accelerate very quickly. Obviously he doesn't have the power or offload that Hock has, but if he bulks up abit whilst keeping the pace I think Wigan could mould him into his replacement in the next year.

But if Wigan lost Hock, Finch, Carmont, Leuleuai and Lima I don't think they will be challenging next year unfortunately.

I don't think Hughes pace is deceiving at all, it's clearly an asset otherwise he wouldn't be filling in at centre. I personally don't think there is much between Hughes and where Hock was at in development terms at the same stage of his career. It also took Hock a very long time to reach his full potential even before the drugs ban. I'd rather have 5 - 10 years of Hughes and Farrell than losing one to keep the 3 - 4 years that Hock has left at the top. That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if Hock goes.

In terms of contending - Wigan will take a step back, but I'd still be surprised if we finished lower than 5th. If the worst Saints side I've seen in almost two decades can finish 3rd, we'll be fine.

Where did I say you're a one man team???

No team is a one man club, I agree.

Opinions differ on leaving you in the poo..... After supporting him, educating him, he leaves a massive gap.

Is that not right?

He is a sportsman. Who has a very short playing carrier. He owes them nothing as he risks permanent injury or even death every time he takes to the pitch.

If Wigan didn't want him there. Sentiment wouldn't come into to it. He would just be dropped.

If he wants to go to Aus then good luck to him.

I don't think Hughes pace is deceiving at all, it's clearly an asset otherwise he wouldn't be filling in at centre. I personally don't think there is much between Hughes and where Hock was at in development terms at the same stage of his career. It also took Hock a very long time to reach his full potential even before the drugs ban. I'd rather have 5 - 10 years of Hughes and Farrell than losing one to keep the 3 - 4 years that Hock has left at the top. That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if Hock goes.

In terms of contending - Wigan will take a step back, but I'd still be surprised if we finished lower than 5th. If the worst Saints side I've seen in almost two decades can finish 3rd, we'll be fine.

I agree with what your saying that it won't be too dissapointing about losing hock. The reference to the pace was more from personal experience as during his time at barrow he didn't really seem to be anything but a tall second rower who made good yards but watching him in an SL game last season he broke the line and showed great pace which shocked me.

Last season you were the best team consistently, but next season I don't think you'll be able to mantain that level next year and stay at the top when you compare your squad to wire. I doubr you'll finish lower than 3rd unless Leeds decide to try during the majoroty of the season.

Is it a given he'll be given a visa after his ban? Or do such things not get considered and/or effect the process?

He is a sportsman. Who has a very short playing carrier. He owes them nothing as he risks permanent injury or even death every time he takes to the pitch.

If Wigan didn't want him there. Sentiment wouldn't come into to it. He would just be dropped.

If he wants to go to Aus then good luck to him.

So Wigan ain't in the poo he's shitt on them. How many clubs would support a druggie!!

So Wigan ain't in the poo he's shitt on them. How many clubs would support a druggie!!

It's not like Wigan had nothing to gain from supporting Hock...if a less talented player went through the same situation with the club it's questionable whether the approach would have been the same.

for me gaz hock is a world class forward who would be a massive loss to any team, but if there is any team could cope with losing him it would be wigan...............

He is a professional sportsman.

He owes them nothing.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean he is wrong.

He is a professional sportsman.

He owes them nothing.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean he is wrong.

FFS I didn't say its wrong. How many fooking times I've said he'll leave them in the poo....

Why are Wigan in the poo?

We have plenty second rowers in Farrell, Tuson, Hughes, Lloyd, Flower and Lauaki who can replace him.

None as good as Hock but the club is hardly left looking for someone to fill the gap is he does leave.

Why are Wigan in the poo?

We have plenty second rowers in Farrell, Tuson, Hughes, Lloyd, Flower and Lauaki who can replace him.

None as good as Hock but the club is hardly left looking for someone to fill the gap is he does leave.

Rolls Royce leaving mini coopers filling in.

Sometimes if you need to get from A to B, the less flashy model can make the same journey whilst proving more reliable.

Hughes is going to be a great player. Who knows how good Lloyd is going to be? The rest will do a job. I suspect this one has a long way to run before we'll know how we'll line up in Round 1.

Sometimes if you need to get from A to B, the less flashy model can make the same journey whilst proving more reliable.

Hughes is going to be a great player. Who knows how good Lloyd is going to be? The rest will do a job. I suspect this one has a long way to run before we'll know how we'll line up in Round 1.

At least we can all agree what a wonderful player hock is!!!

As a wire fan I'm glad (if he does go) as he's a massive player for Wigan - just see westwood reaction after hock scored against us.

Bad times ahead for Super League if/when the NRL raise their cap,all the best players will be heading for Oz IMO!

Making SL even weaker than it is now! On the plus side though it will strengthen our International team.

With the better players playing in Oz, more players will get a chance to play Superleague. The clubs need to be encouraged to develop and play British players to increase the player pool for England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland. The more Brits playing in Oz is a very good thing in my opinion. No down side at all.