See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Frightful

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

93 posts in this topic

The NRL have now got massive funds.

Most of the SL players going to the NRL are forwards. They don't appear to want any of our backs, although Sam Tomkins could be an exception.

The Burgess's, Graham, Ellis and Morley, now maybe Hock. If our backs will go anywhere it will be Union as in Ashton, Joel T, Pryce and Lee Smith.

Tom Briscoe?

Widely reported on interest from Aus and he has always expressed a wish to try the NRL - AP prepared to offer him "big money" to sign an extension to his contract - but with their massive salary cap (compared to ours) I think he'll sadly be gone after next season :(

Good point but seems your comments been overlooked.

I also wondered about his drugs ban (cocaine) making it difficult for him to get to work in Aus, or even get in?

Anyone got any ideas?

If it's not a conviction it wouldn't be an issue would it?

Good point but seems your comments been overlooked.

I also wondered about his drugs ban (cocaine) making it difficult for him to get to work in Aus, or even get in?

Anyone got any ideas?

Whilst I won't pretend to know Australian law on this point but I don't think it will be a problem. Firstly, he hasn't been convicted and hasn't got a criminal record, it was a recreational drug he took after all, and his sentence was handed out but the sporting body and not a court of law. Secondly he'll have a company willing to sponsor his application and pay for him.

From memory those who have struggled to get a visa were either being or had been convicted.

Thats just my thoughts though and I'm probably wrong.

If it's not a conviction it wouldn't be an issue would it?

How Australia has come full circle, eh?

If he left Wigan for union fans would care as a very good player would be lost to our game. If he left for the NRL most would understand although Wigan fans wouldn't be over the moon about it but I doubt Wigan will lose any fans over it.

Nail on head. I was a Wigan fan long before Hock and Tomkins arrived and I'll hopefully be one long after they both leave. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in the present - a hero today is a zero tomorrow. Five years ago I could only dream of Wigan winning SL and the Challenge Cup whilst having a talent like Tomkins in the 13. Who's to say in five years that someone else doesn't emerge and have a similar impact. Yes I'll be disappointed if Hock, Tomkins et al leave, but the club will still be there regardless and tomorrow's hero will appear soon enough.

a 29 year old ex drugs cheat leaving a club for a hefty transfer fee.......i like gareth hock...

We shouldn't worry - we keep getting told that the quality is getting worse and worse in SL every year, yet crowds increase, so it would seem to me that quality doesn't affect the crowds.

Doom-mongers can;t have it both ways!

The doom mongers may be disappointed.

Not a done deal by any means and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it will ever be done.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Hock was in the Wigan 2013 squad when it's announced in a few weeks time.

The doom mongers may be disappointed.

Not a done deal by any means and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it will ever be done.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Hock was in the Wigan 2013 squad when it's announced in a few weeks time.

Listened to a clip on MMM radio the other day when the Paramatta CEO said all dealings with signing Gareth Hock were on hold until their chase of Israel Folau was finalised.

I doubt that Paramatta are in a position to lay out contracts for both players. I would think that if they can sign Folau then they may drop their interest in Hock, but if the Folau deal falls through this could free up the funds for Hock.

Listened to a clip on MMM radio the other day when the Paramatta CEO said all dealings with signing Gareth Hock were on hold until their chase of Israel Folau was finalised.

I doubt that Paramatta are in a position to lay out contracts for both players. I would think that if they can sign Folau then they may drop their interest in Hock, but if the Folau deal falls through this could free up the funds for Hock.

Most Aussie Clubs do not usually pay transfer fees unless they have a Movie Star as their backer.

I can not believe that Parramatta will pay a transfer fee, a solid money, long contract for four years on a 29 year old.

Then again Parra have had one of the worst (probably the worst) recruitment and retention policies in the history of the NRL so maybe I will be wrong.

Most Aussie Clubs do not usually pay transfer fees unless they have a Movie Star as their backer.

I can not believe that Parramatta will pay a transfer fee, a solid money, long contract for four years on a 29 year old.

Then again Parra have had one of the worst (probably the worst) recruitment and retention policies in the history of the NRL so maybe I will be wrong.

Which movie star payed the big fee for Greg Eastwood?

Dame Edna?

Dunno, you tell me.

Has there been a collective TRL sigh of relief now the Wigan Evening Post are reporting the Eels have been unable to agree a fee for Hock?

Happy that he's staying put from a Wigan perspective. From an England perspective, McNamara needs to sit down with Wane and agree what sort of player he needs to be for the World Cup. Indeed, McN could usefully discuss with each of the club coaches what roles he has in mind for the England squad players and ask them to bear that in mind - eg Sam's getting some time in the halves now and again, working on people's kicking games etc.

Happy that he's staying put from a Wigan perspective. From an England perspective, McNamara needs to sit down with Wane and agree what sort of player he needs to be for the World Cup. Indeed, McN could usefully discuss with each of the club coaches what roles he has in mind for the England squad players and ask them to bear that in mind - eg Sam's getting some time in the halves now and again, working on people's kicking games etc.

Collaborative working for the greater good of the game - its got to be the future!

Collaborative working for the greater good of the game - its got to be the future!

Your'e confusing Rugby League with garlic bread! ;):)

Who was it again Posh? I missed your reply?