Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

And the Stonewall Sport of the Year is...

39 posts in this topic

Wouldn't mind hearing more about what the RL did specifically to win this award. All good news though and makes me really proud especially as it seems football is still stuck in the 1960's.

RFL media release

RFL win Stonewall Sports Award of the Year

Rugby League’s work in embracing inclusivity and tackling homophobia has been recognised by the RFL receiving the prestigious Stonewall Sports Award of the Year.

The award, which celebrates the impact and contribution of sporting organisations and athletes in breaking down the barriers of lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) inclusivity in the sporting environment, was presented at a gala dinner at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London last night (Thursday November 1).

The RFL beat off stiff competition from medal winning Team GB Olympians Carl Hester and Lee Pearson CBE and Team GB Paralympian Claire Harvey to clinch the award, which comes less than 12 months after the RFL climbed 40 places in the Stonewall Top 100 Employers Index to be named in 53rd position.

“As a sport we are delighted, honoured and proud that we have been chosen as the winner of the Stonewall Sports Award, particularly given the outstanding field of nominees including successful Olympians,” said RFL Equality and Diversity Manager Sarah Williams.

“The award is the result of four years work by the RFL and the wider sport to engage with LGB communities and to tackle homophobia in sport. This has been a genuine team effort, from our Chief Executive Nigel Wood, former Chairman Richard Lewis, the executive team and staff in all areas of the business and of course our clubs, coaches and players.

“The RFL and our clubs have been responsible for some truly groundbreaking events; Oldham, Sheffield Eagles, Super League teams Leeds Rhinos and London Broncos have all dedicated games to LGB inclusion and players like Matt Cook from the London Broncos have embraced the opportunity to make a public stand and say that homophobia has no place in Rugby League or for that matter in any sport.

"We have led the way among sports organisations in recent years, introducing the 'Tackle It!' programme, undertaken research into homophobia in sport programmes and launched a school education resource to support the 'Tackle It!' campaign and stonewall's work to end homophobic bullying."

Stonewall Chief Executive Ben Summerskill said: “The RFL has led the way in tackling homophobia in sport. The commendable work done by the governing body and teams like the Sheffield Eagles and the Leeds Rhinos will help prove that no sport need tolerate homophobia.

“Gay Rugby League fans across the country will be proud to know that anyone can aspire to join a team and play the game.”

-ends-

Nathan Clarke

Media Executive

Great news! I haven't seen anything in the mainstream media yet.

A well deserved award for Keith O'Brien too!

Who needs than 'mail stream' media when using our Social Media accounts we can get this article infront of millions of people?

'Grebo' - there's a word I haven't come across in a long long time!

Really great work and it continues the glorious tradition our game has of transcending (or even not seeing) boundaries.

The RFL beat off stiff competition

Bwahaha!

Seriously though, well done.

in today's Indie.

this award is something to be very proud of.

Great work from the RFL

These are the days to be proud of our sport - especially next to the FA

Great work from the RFL

These are the days to be proud of our sport - especially next to the FA

Well said!!

The fa are a total joke and Chelsea need kicking out of the premier league if the recent events are unfounded

in today's Indie.

Buried deep within an article headed "Britain s most senior catholic named bigot of the year"

Still, you can't have everything but very well deserved nonetheless.

The rugby award, that is :-)

Rugby League’s work in embracing inclusivity and tackling homophobia has been recognised by the RFL receiving the prestigious Stonewall Sports Award of the Year.

The RFL beat off stiff competition from medal winning Team GB Olympians Carl Hester and Lee Pearson CBE

He said it, not me. B)

On a related topic, on Wednesday night, ITV4 showed a programme about the life Gareth Thomas.

It was all there - the Wales RU caps, the British RU Lions, the 'coming out' period, the film making with Mickey Rourke.

One part of his life and career was airbrushed and totally missing, from either the life story or the collage of rugby clips. Guess which part?

On a related topic, on Wednesday night, ITV4 showed a programme about the life Gareth Thomas.

It was all there - the Wales RU caps, the British RU Lions, the 'coming out' period, the film making with Mickey Rourke.

One part of his life and career was airbrushed and totally missing, from either the life story or the collage of rugby clips. Guess which part?

I've just seen it and am equally annoyed that they didnt e.g. show his try for Wales RL in Albi. Must be because it was ITV who generally have the RU world cup rights

I have to agree about that ITV documentary. Not mentioning Gareth's time in RL was an absolute disgrace. We took him in and appreciated what he had to offer as a man and as a player.

I hope that Gareth will appear in the media to address and comment on the issue.

Buried deep within an article headed "Britain s most senior catholic named bigot of the year"

Still, you can't have everything but very well deserved nonetheless.

The rugby award, that is :-)

it was, but it was there all the same

I thought the contrast between RL's award and the bigot of the hear award was telling all the same.

It would have been nicer if the article had been given a positive spin by bigging up RL's and others contribution rather than that disgusting man's bigot of the year award.

I think Stonewall should credit Selby Warriors ARLFC as well, when signing on now amateur players have a box to fill in regarding sexual orientation, the latest audit showed over 90% of our players are either gay or bi-sexual with a further 5% prefering not to say

I have to agree about that ITV documentary. Not mentioning Gareth's time in RL was an absolute disgrace. We took him in and appreciated what he had to offer as a man and as a player.

I hope that Gareth will appear in the media to address and comment on the issue.

Can anyone clarify if Gareth Thomas played RU after he came out? I thought he was playing in France but then stopped playing for a while before coming to RL. I read his article in L'Equipe magazine (he was on the front cover) just after he came out.

Can anyone clarify if Gareth Thomas played RU after he came out? I thought he was playing in France but then stopped playing for a while before coming to RL. I read his article in L'Equipe magazine (he was on the front cover) just after he came out.

I seem to remember he played on, at least for some games, because I remember a few stomach-churning articles about how only in rugger would he receive such a fabulous reception as he did.

he played for Cardiff Blues in Toulouse the same day the story broke here and played fairly regularly for the team up until about a month or so before his move as he was out injured.

He did tweet about it the following day, saying he had no influence on the programmes editing and how much he enjoyed and appreciated RL.

I think Stonewall should credit Selby Warriors ARLFC as well, when signing on now amateur players have a box to fill in regarding sexual orientation, the latest audit showed over 90% of our players are either gay or bi-sexual with a further 5% prefering not to say

sorry but i think that shows how little progress has been made in general when that question still needs to be asked as if it makes any difference at all as to the worth of a person .

when filing in forms i refuse to answer any questions on race , religion or sexual orentation on the grounds that as far as i am concerned it does not matter and we are all equal .

i do except that i may be very much in a minority