Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Scam email Virgin Media

20 posts in this topic

Just received an email from John West at Virgin Media asking for my equipment back as I have disconnected my service. I have now telephoned Virgin Media who say it is a scam. Anyone else had this email?

Call his bluff, he'll soon change his tuna

I'm not sure. I'd like to hear the opinion of salmon else.

You lot are having a Whale of a time on this thread! :D

I still cannot fathom out how people of sound mind fall for scams that ask for money upfront? One scam highlighted on TV recently involved people buying goods prior to receiving their cheque for thousands of pounds, in a competition they hadn't entered! One person was a retired police officer.

You lot are having a Whale of a time on this thread! :D

I still cannot fathom out how people of sound mind fall for scams that ask for money upfront? One scam highlighted on TV recently involved people buying goods prior to receiving their cheque for thousands of pounds, in a competition they hadn't entered! One person was a retired police officer.

Simple answer: greed.

I look at these scams as a tax on the stupid and greedy. if people weren't so willing to try and get something for nothing these scams wouldn't exist.

They must feel eely daft when they realise they have been hadd (ock).

It must have looked like an easy way to make a few squid.

On another tip, I had a scam call from some call centre types yesterday saying they were from Virgin Media tech support, and that they were going to help me sort out my computer which had been running slow. I told them I didn't own a computer and hung up. Phoned Virgin to complain and they confirmed it was a scam. Apparently they con people into letting them take control of your computer remotely, install some software (or tell you they are) and demand £200. I wonder how many people have actually been caught out like that.

On another tip, I had a scam call from some call centre types yesterday saying they were from Virgin Media tech support, and that they were going to help me sort out my computer which had been running slow. I told them I didn't own a computer and hung up. Phoned Virgin to complain and they confirmed it was a scam. Apparently they con people into letting them take control of your computer remotely, install some software (or tell you they are) and demand £200. I wonder how many people have actually been caught out like that.

Quite a few from the reports that have been around for the last couple of years. There are some sharks out there.