Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hullfan

Dobson to hull fc ?

55 posts in this topic

Just heard a fee as been agreed between hull kr and hull fc for Michael Dobson anyone else heard it

Unless Hudgell was about to jump ship, I'll be staggered if he sold his golden boy to Hull. And even if he was about to make way for somebody else, he's still a staunch Hull KR fan so it's highly unlikely IMO.

I had a text saying similar lastnight until I see a new scrumhalf running out in a black and white shirt I won't listen to another rumour or piece of paper speculation again.

Hull as a city can sustain two SL clubs, yeah right.

Although, admittedly, times have changed, can I refer the right honourable gentleman :D to this link?

http://en.wikipedia....League_season

Isn't, that just a few, no a lot of years before SL. :rolleyes:

Also not many years after hadn't both clubs gone belly button sky wards

Isn't, that just a few, no a lot of years before SL. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter does it.

The fact is Hull sustained a Hull club at the top of the league and also sustained a Calder X111 at the top at the same time.

The town went on to sustain two championship clubs in Hull as well.

It must be some sort of record?

Although, admittedly, times have changed, can I refer the right honourable gentleman :D to this link?

http://en.wikipedia....League_season

Hull's best season ever probably and Rovers won back to back titles the following 2 seasons making it 3 titles in 6 years for Rovers and 4 in 6 years from the city of Hull.

Heady days for RL in the city and Hull RLFC (as they were known at the time) played a significant part.

The period of course also featured the city's only Wembley win with Rovers taking the spoils and with a side packed with local players.

Can those days return?

Back then teams like Nottingham Forest & Aston Villa were champions of Europe. Much has changed.

But in the very small world of English Rugby League there is just one city alone where Rugby League permeates into the very fabric of it's being. Where Monday morning conversations in offices and factories are all about Rugby League. The city of Kingston Upon Hull.

The heady days of the 80's may not be coming back this year or soon but Kingston Upon Hull remains the biggest RL stronghold outside of Sydney & Brisbane.

Let's celebrate that there is at least one city in England where RL is so popular it can support 2 teams.

It doesn't matter does it.

The fact is Hull sustained a Hull club at the top of the league and also sustained a Calder X111 at the top at the same time.

The town went on to sustain two championship clubs in Hull as well.

It must be some sort of record?

the record was probably for the number of clubs going belly up later.

Hull's best season ever probably and Rovers won back to back titles the following 2 seasons making it 3 titles in 6 years for Rovers and 4 in 6 years from the city of Hull.

Heady days for RL in the city and Hull RLFC (as they were known at the time) played a significant part.

The period of course also featured the city's only Wembley win with Rovers taking the spoils and with a side packed with local players.

Can those days return?

Back then teams like Nottingham Forest & Aston Villa were champions of Europe. Much has changed.

But in the very small world of English Rugby League there is just one city alone where Rugby League permeates into the very fabric of it's being. Where Monday morning conversations in offices and factories are all about Rugby League. The city of Kingston Upon Hull.

The heady days of the 80's may not be coming back this year or soon but Kingston Upon Hull remains the biggest RL stronghold outside of Sydney & Brisbane.

Let's celebrate that there is at least one city in England where RL is so popular it can support 2 teams.

But the city cannot support two SL teams.

Great rant but check what year, or even century we are in.

I'd love to get a pair of these Hull spectacles through which Dobson is clearly seen as some sort of rugby god.

He and Holdsworth would represent a very mechanical, well-disciplined halfback partnership, but don't come looking for excitement.

But the city cannot support two SL teams.

For whatever reason HKR's business plan isn't working, but given the size of their attendances I would say the city certainly can support two SL clubs.

For whatever reason HKR's business plan isn't working, but given the size of their attendances I would say the city certainly can support two SL clubs.

It can't, it won't, end of.

On that basis we might as well cull Castleford, Widnes, Salford, Broncos, Huddersfield and probably Wakefield. Nonsense.

bradford, padge???????? their business plan was hardly watertight was it??

On that basis we might as well cull Castleford, Widnes, Salford, Broncos, Huddersfield and probably Wakefield. Nonsense.

Cas are in crisis, Widnes failed to meet their 8,000 break even attendance, Salford are in crisis, Wakefield have a future at Newmarket with crowds rising, Broncos and Fartown are propped up by millionaires.

Hull.K.R. are in heavy debt to their directors and run at a £500K a season loss at the moment.

So we need to deal in facts and those are the facts.

As for "nonsense" it would be a nonsense to cull six clubs from SL as well as HKR. Why did you say that??

It needs a restructure and they are talking about it now.

Kingston Upon Hull remains the biggest RL stronghold outside of Sydney & Brisbane.

Lets celebrate that there is at least one city in England where RL is so popular it can support 2 teams.

It's a great RL city, but the Calder area is the biggest place for Rugby League in the northern hemisphere.

That's how Hull got their 80's success buying up all the players from there.

Currently Hull cannot support it's second club, HKR loses half a million a year and owes it's directors a lot of money. It's also had it's playing roster picked off by Hull and if Dobson goes this will be worse.

Mr. Pearson seems to want to use HKR as a nursery to build his own team, that doesn't help one iota.

BUT apparently there are take over talks and Craven Park is under development so we will have to see if the dream of two successful clubs in one place can work in time.

But people cannot be blamed for doubting it. Even if Cas got Glasshoughton and Wakey got Newmarket there'd still be doubts there. RL just hasn't got the resources, that's why passionate fans dream they are there.

Cas are in crisis, Widnes failed to meet their 8,000 break even attendance, Salford are in crisis, Wakefield have a future at Newmarket with crowds rising, Broncos and Fartown are propped up by millionaires.

Hull.K.R. are in heavy debt to their directors and run at a £500K a season loss at the moment.

As for "nonsense" it would be a nonsense to cull six clubs from SL as well as HKR. Why did you say that??

Not heard Steve o Connor moaning about the size of the crowds, so why mention widnes??

I don't tend to post comments against your posts, but this one I had to.

I was referring to the idea that HKR will 'never ever' be sustainable. The point I was making was that if HKR are not sustainable on average crowds of what seven, eight thousand, then what hope is there for half of the rest of the league?

I might be an eternal optimist, but I never cease to be amazed at how incompetent a lot of clubs, not just RL clubs, actually are. As a teacher, I've worked in some appallingly run schools and some good ones, but it does seem to me that if you get the right people involved and do things properly then it's makes all sort of things possible.

Not heard Steve o Connor moaning about the size of the crowds, so why mention widnes??

It was Mr. Slowdive who mentioned Widnes hence I replied giving them a mention.

As I understand it and to date nobody has queried the position, Mr. O'Connor wanted to set Widnes up so they would be self sustainable in Superleague. He was using his business acumen to "maximise income and minimise expenditure" and did not want to be a sugar daddy although it was reported he'd offered significant sums to sign players to strengthen the squad in the wake of a poor start to Superleague, and I can only assume that the sums may well have come from his pocket and been "investment".

I also seem to remember (corections are always most welcome) he put the onus on the fans to pay for the club they wanted via season "passes" which offered more than season tickets. He may also have said at some point or indicated through the "passes" target that he needed 8,000 fans in the stadium to run on break even.

As it turned out 3,700 averages in the CC rose to 5,900 averages in Superleague, so there is a very very strong paralell between HKR's income situation and Widnes's income situation (without directors money both run at a loss on full cap) hence slowdive mentioned it and so did I. Widnes sit close to Warrington so there is another paralell with the hull situation, unless one is of the opinion Widnes people only watch Widnes, and only Royston Vasey people watch Royston Vasey RLFC.

Of course we do not know which way the business will go at Widnes. It's merely one year in (had the P & R brigade had their way Mr. O'Connors plans would be in tatters now with Sheffield being planless) and Mr. O'Connor may be a stayer like Mr Davey, but if Superleague were picking the "Ideal clubs" (Income = at least max salary cap spend plus other essential expenses) only, then Widnes would not get in Superleague.