Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Havenwarrior

Workington Vikings?

65 posts in this topic

I remember from primary school that we were taught that the town was set up by the Vikings , a warrior called Weork and it was Weorkstown , so there's a link , but these things are all done for marketing . No idea. Could certainly get some good merchandise of that !

If we draw Widnes in't cup that'll be a right old war .

Remember when Grima got all frustrated and started bashing Penrice? He wasnt half mad when Ben just laughed at him :lol:

2 teams cant share the same name thats why we had to drop the warriors so it didnt clash with wigan

2 teams cant share the same name thats why we had to drop the warriors so it didnt clash with wigan

Think you might have got the wrong end of the stick there Ducky old fruit :lol:

I hear you maybe becoming the Vikings? Anyone any info?

HW

are you joking?

Im crushed we will never be called Trinity bloody RFL

Why didn't Wigan have to drop warriors to stop clashing with the mighty ones ? And anyway what about Featherstone Rovers and Hull Kingston Rovers ... Batley Bulldogs and Canterbury Bulldogs . They get on fine them two . Ripped that argument up ...

Please god no

We are Workington TOWN, does 68 years of Workington TOWN mean nothing?

Haven fan ' hears ' ... Not a good start or reason to worry . We've never gone down than route before have we . Bit of stirring there me thinks.

I dont no how this thread started but workington vikings what a load of rubbish.It will allways be the TOWN believe me so lets forget it.

Yeh that bloke must have been having a quiet evening .

Sorry guys but he's had you hook line and sinker there. Did anyone truly believe we would ever be anything othere than town. Tut tut.

I got the connection with Widnes (not just a name change) straight away as per my sarcastic post above. Hope you guys dont go down the twinning route :O

Lee

I got the connection with Widnes (not just a name change) straight away as per my sarcastic post above. Hope you guys dont go down the twinning route :O

Lee

The way things are going in the Championships I think it is inevitable that Town will be twinned with a SL club or else we could lose out on players, which is what the RFL have hoped for all along. They wanted this system brought in to save SL clubs money and they have allowed a drip feed process to be used and as soon as 1 Championship club accepted then it was pretty obvious that others would follow. I still say that Cumbria clubs, especially us and Haven, will lose out in benefits, other than loanees, compared to other Championship clubs who are located closer to their SL partners.

The Raiders board have rejected the idea of twinning at this moment in time.....I agree but maybe we will miss out and be weakened against twinned opposition...who knows ?

I mean u will be joining up with Widnes, as we are with the Saints.

HW

i dont really buy into this link up thing as we ,in west cumbria,are too far from the rest of the RL world for it to benefit us. I cant see better players trailing up and down the M6 when they could get a game closer to home in the C'ship. However i suppose you can only try something to see if it works but as i say IMO i cant see it working for us.