Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Only 22 countries in the world not invaded by the British

I note that one of them is Luxemburg, nowadays the headquarters of the EEC. All the other countries in Western Europe are using it as a front to get some revenge.

B)

Simply not good enough,I demand we invade them now!

Even given the currect fighting strength of the British Army, there's a few on that list we could knock over by the weekend.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that none of Marlborough's lads never strayed into (what is now) Luxembourg, give that they were all over that general area for years. Conversely, some of those 'invasions' are a bit tenuous, if you ask me. Japan and Poland, for a start.

Nelson was invited into Malta to clear out Napoleons pillaging mob.

Is that still an invasion?

Who was invaded in the British Antarctic Territories?

When did anyone invade Iceland?

I think if we did invade Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg or Leichtenstein, or most of the others we would be looked on as some sort of Imperialist Bully.... OH!

As for the Vatican,should have been invaded during the reign of Henry VIII, or after 1605.

All the rest have nothing we wanted (apart from dysentry)

Nelson was invited into Malta to clear out Napoleons pillaging mob.

Is that still an invasion?

Who was invaded in the British Antarctic Territories?

When did anyone invade Iceland?

I know Iceland. It was in 1940, when after the German occupation of Denmark, we occupied it (completely violating Iceland's declared neutrality) to stop the Germans getting there first. US troops took over in 1941. I think it's fair to say the Icelanders were a bit miffed, and have not generally been very keen on us ever since.

I know Iceland. It was in 1940, when after the German occupation of Denmark, we occupied it (completely violating Iceland's declared neutrality) to stop the Germans getting there first. US troops took over in 1941. I think it's fair to say the Icelanders were a bit miffed, and have not generally been very keen on us ever since.

I bet though that when they reflected upon what happened to various groups of people under the Nazis they may have considered their momentary role as our subjects as being a lucky escape.

Even odder is Norway, we (apparently) invaded it in an attempt to get rid of the Germans in WW2, I can see how that qualifies as a hostile act.

They invaded GB first. That's possibly why I'm Welsh.

I would imagine the purpose was to secure the Icelandic harbours for the Arctic convoys. My grandad was the skipper of HMS Sulla which was lost after leaving Reykjavik with Convoy PQ-13

Not sure about them not being keen on us ever since. When I was growing up they saved dozens of our trawlermen, often risking their own lives to do so. The Icelandic people still have enormous respect in this part of the world. They even paid for a street in Hull, Icelandic Close, to be built after WW2 as a gesture of friendship following the Luftwaffe's attempt to bomb the city into oblivion.

They even paid for a street in Hull, Icelandic Close, to be built after WW2 as a gesture of friendship following the Luftwaffe's attempt to bomb the city into oblivion.

The Luftwaffe let Bradford off fairly lightly. As a result, Bradford Council has been left to send our city into oblivion entirely by its own efforts.

:dry: <_<

I find it difficult to believe that Wellington's army didn't touch Andorra at some point during the Peninsula War. After all it is completely surrounded by France and Spain, I'd have thought that when he invaded France from Spain Andorra was invaded at the same time. As it happens I've been to Andorra - Pas de la Casa - it's just border post and a shopping mall in the middle of the Pyrenees. They're very keen on Catalunya there, perhaps we should try and establish another French expansion team there. :happy:

Why did we want dysentry? :huh:

To aid invasion of the other countries, we give Andorra* dysentry & we can invade Mali

*I wonder how difficult it would be to invade a landlocked country, surrounded by countries that are sympathetic to the target nation, alleged friends of the invading nation & jointly rule the target nation? San Marino is another example, Faroe Islands are fair game as if we invade there we would lose the Shetlands to Norway, and it would take longer for a "Task Force" to be assembled and sail fr them than it took for the Falklands

Chavs on giro day.

:D

Someone told me recently that you don't even get a giro these days? I would be gutted if I was unemployed, that was a real highlight getting and cashing your giro.

I suppose all the old jokes will die out with it too?