Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

GB team to return?

256 posts in this topic

a rival paper to RLE

RLE has a rival? Wash your mouth out with soap and water!! :):D:lol:

This isn't limited to Wales.

I'm asking because I don't know but how many times have Fiji, Tonga and Samoa played since 2008?

Compare that to the opportunities offered by other codes. It's ridiculous that we don't know from one month to the next, let alone one year or World Cup cycle to the next, what the fixture list is going to look like.

And it will get worse as the money in Australia is really now only for the clubs and Origin.

To be fair to them. What opportunities do they have? Legibility rules should be tightened up and surplus monies from the WC could be used to help kickstart a pacific islands tournament after the NRL season finishes.

Great Britain was Always the traditional national side of these islands ,rugby league will never amount to anything in Scotland or Ireland so it stands to reason GB should be the sole national team with the best players representing the team regardless of where they hail from in the islands ,Also gave RL a point of difference from Union and would have got a indirect boost from the Team GB hype around the Olympics!

To be fair to them. What opportunities do they have? Legibility rules should be tightened up and surplus monies from the WC could be used to help kickstart a pacific islands tournament after the NRL season finishes.

The 2008 World Cup profits were meant to be used for this exact purpose.

They were not.

Great Britain was Always the traditional national side of these islands ,rugby league will never amount to anything in Scotland or Ireland so it stands to reason GB should be the sole national team with the best players representing the team regardless of where they hail from in the islands ,Also gave RL a point of difference from Union and would have got a indirect boost from the Team GB hype around the Olympics!

What differentiates league from union is the quality of the rugby.

A trolls opinion is worth nothing. Go away.

Great Britain was Always the traditional national side of these islands ,

you mean like unlimited tackles, balls with handles, refs with blazers etc?

The facts (remember those?) are that between 1908 and 1985 England have played Wales on no less than 59 occasions. Kind of traditional, don't you think?

you mean like unlimited tackles, balls with handles, refs with blazers etc?

The facts (remember those?) are that between 1908 and 1985 England have played Wales on no less than 59 occasions. Kind of traditional, don't you think?

You come here all la-dee-dah with your facts and your "what happened in 1990 was the exception not the rule". You make me sick.

A trolls opinion is worth nothing. Go away.

Ohh dear is that your best ? Careful not to lose that brain cell next time you sneeze ,wouldn't want you to forget your log in details lol!

Ohh dear is that your best ? Careful not to lose that brain cell next time you sneeze ,wouldn't want you to forget your log in details lol!

Yeah, lol. Absolutely hilarious.

I'd worry about remembering your log in details though, at least until you are banned for being an unfunny waste of space. No offence.

the new international format, i remember when england and wales put out great teams packed with talent but today the product in substandard to say the least. apart from the odd surprise result france have always been the whipping boys of international rugby so nothing has changed.................

Really? So the French team of the 50's is a figment of my imagination I presume?

I realise that this was before SL - the birth of RL.

Hay you started it ,I nearly put a point across as it was my point of view .I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands and i wore my jersey with pride thinking back to the great series and games against Australia in the early 90 and seeing the worlds best footie players go head to head and we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

Hay you started it ,I nearly put a point across as it was my point of view .I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands and i wore my jersey with pride thinking back to the great series and games against Australia in the early 90 and seeing the worlds best footie players go head to head and we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

Er, yeah...because RU players were banned from playing RL. It's a little bit different today.

we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

Which is why most clubs were close to bankruptcy.

.I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands

when was that? I have England playing Wales in 1884, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1970, 1969, 1968......

Er, yeah...because RU players were banned from playing RL. It's a little bit different today.

And why where they banned ??????? They where banned because union was terrified of league taking all there best players and it was the only deterrent they had to stop players going north ,in other words Rugby League was the code with the best players in the world back then ,I time I'd like to see return and diluting the talent pool to support 4 nations instead of 1 means its unlikely we will compete with Australia or even New Zealand on an competative footing anytime soon !

when was that? I have England playing Wales in 1884, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1970, 1969, 1968......

I'd say most of the 70s 80s 90s 00s Great Britain was our main rep team apart from World Cup years from 95 onward ,until GB was discontinued I think around 07 or 08

The last rep team from here to win the World Cup was Great Britain in 70 I believe !

Yeah, the reason for the ban was that they were terrified. :rolleyes:

Even if that were true, we live in 2012 and have to deal with that, not some romantic notion of how things were. You can pretend its 1985 if you want, I'll accept things have changed. Do you still demand your wages in cash and all your films on video?

My point is why should we weaken our national team by splitting the talent pool among 4 teams!

My point is why should we weaken our national team by splitting the talent pool among 4 teams!

We haven't,as the tri nations and England Knights games have shown.

How is it weakening anything? Its the same players involved regardless of what you call them. Accommodating players in Celtic nation teams just to give them a game in the WC is not development. Historically there were no Ireland or Scotland RL at all. And Wales were just ex RU players. So what has been weakened? Non existent teams?

We haven't,as the tri nations and England Knights games have shown.

And generally your right ,but lets say a talented young player coming through who did not qualify for England had a choice of playing union or league ,what would you choose ,a chance to represent say Wales or Scotland against NZ or Aus in union in front of 50 to 70k or a chance to represent said teams in a tri nations game against the England 2nd XIII on a ###### day in Dewsbury or somewhere in front of half a dozen people and a whippit ?

And generally your right ,but lets say a talented young player coming through who did not qualify for England had a choice of playing union or league ,what would you choose ,a chance to represent say Wales or Scotland against NZ or Aus in union in front of 50 to 70k or a chance to represent said teams in a tri nations game against the England 2nd XIII on a ###### day in Dewsbury or somewhere in front of half a dozen people and a whippit ?

Many have chosen League,many have chosen Union.

And why where they banned ??????? They where banned because union was terrified of league taking all there best players and it was the only deterrent they had to stop players going north ,in other words Rugby League was the code with the best players in the world back then ,I time I'd like to see return and diluting the talent pool to support 4 nations instead of 1 means its unlikely we will compete with Australia or even New Zealand on an competative footing anytime soon !

Regardless of the reasons for the ban, the fact is the union landscape is different now. And the union landscape isn't stronger because RL is weaker, it's stronger because it is now professional.

So gone are the days of picking off union talent. They have money.

As for diluting, how many players that aren't English or union converts have played for GB?...