Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

GB team to return?

256 posts in this topic

Keegan upon hearing Northern Sol's criticism:

1982-england-006.jpg

This was the era when England soccer fans thought the Union Flag was England's national flag. It's hardly surprising that the FA sought to take advantage of the fact.

This was the era when England soccer fans thought the Union Flag was England's national flag. It's hardly surprising that the FA sought to take advantage of the fact.

England football have always worn white and blue. Red is the interloper.

as a kid i always remembered seeing more union jacks than st georges crosses at england games..

as a kid i always remembered seeing more union jacks than st georges crosses at england games..

Euro 96 was when that changed.

It's clear that we can never all agree on weather we should be England or GB ,and since in terms or players it won't make any difference so there is little point of a GB touring side like Unions Lions ,so how about a compromise ,most of us agree that since England was established as the permanent national team in 08 and rebranded with the that knockoff looking emblem they have lacked an iconic shirt which we had under GB ,so take the best of both and have England play in the iconic Blue and red shevron colours once used by GB ,links the past and the future nicely!

Yeah I'd buy that.

Keegan upon hearing Northern Sol's criticism:

1982-england-006.jpg

I remember that kit, it was from1982 world cup IIRC.

We're on our way, we are Ron's 22

Hear the roar of the red white and blue.

Here's a thing I wrote in a Rugby League World editorial a while back (Oct 2012 issue).

-----------------------------------

The success of ‘Team GB’ at the Olympic and Paralympic Games and the subsequent fervour for all things red, white and blue has seen renewed calls within our sport for the return of the Great Britain Rugby League team. I understand the original rationale for shunting GB to the sidelines several years ago, in order to provide the home nations with greater opportunities and also to secure a wedge of much-needed government funding. I am also well aware that the history of Great Britain in Rugby League terms doesn’t stretch as far back as you might imagine; yet my own most vivid memories of international competition involve Great Britain, not England, against the Aussies in ultimately unsuccessful but incredibly stirring Ashes encounters in the 1980s and 1990s. Nothing since has quite matched them. I could never get my head around why the choice had to be so absolute in Rugby League: one or the other. Why couldn’t we, as other sports do, have the home nations playing a regular calendar of fixtures as well as, rather than instead of a Great Britain team? The red, white and blue sporting bandwagon is well and truly rolling again, courtesy of our Olympians, and we should have no shame whatsoever in finding a way of reintroducing a brand once so closely associated with our sport, without turning our back on the home nations either.

-----------------------------------

The bit in bold remains the key question to me.

But the bit in bold was part of the original plan.

We didn't ditch GB but circumstances - in this case the RFL not finding agreement with the ARL and NZRL - meant a resurrection could not happen this year.

Why did it change?

There was a cultural shift and I think a quite deliberate attempt by the FA and some England fans to have a flag and identity that wasn't - at the time, pre EDL - associated with jackbooted idiots who were about the only folk waving union jacks then.

I don't know, these things are traditional and the basis of them are lost in the mists of time. Scotland's original colours were pink and yellow (IIRC)

The colours of the Marquis of Rosebery no less!

Incidentally, all this talk of there being blue in the England football kit - historically there always has been and the current kit is our first ever not to have any blue on it at all.

But the bit in bold was part of the original plan.

Was it, really? :dry:

When did GB last play a competitive game, and when are they scheduled to play another. The twelfth of never?

Was it, really? :dry:

When did GB last play a competitive game, and when are they scheduled to play another. The twelfth of never?

It was in the plan published on here having been disseminated through the RL media that they would be touring this year.

The international cycle that this was part of ends in 2013. I have no idea what happens after that.

I think we need to realise the difference in thinking here. Most people would be happy with a GB side which existed as a touring entity perhaps every 4 years (we'll leave aside the arguments about the make up of the squad for now)

But some people like Garry Schofield attack the England side regardless of where we are in the cycle. ie I've heard criticism of this Autumns games thus: 'this is a joke bring back GB'. When in fact, now would be the ideal time to play a series like this as home nations if we actually had the GB side anyway.

It was in the plan published on here having been disseminated through the RL media that they would be touring this year.

The international cycle that this was part of ends in 2013. I have no idea what happens after that.

This, you mean?

http://www.englandrl.co.uk/long_game.php

The re-branding of England supports the RFL's and RLEF's strategy for the growth of the sport in the Northern Hemisphere. Such a vision for international development is vital to the future success of the sport. As mentioned earlier, the World Cup is a key part of this strategy. The tournament will be held every four years from 2013, with a four nations tournament held in intervening years (see 10-year plan summary on this page).

Of course the Great Britain name will not be forgotten. Players capped for the GB side will continue to receive the appropriate recognition for their past and future efforts and achievements on the world stage. And it is possible that a GB team could undertake an overseas tour some time from 2012 onwards. All this would provide a sound basis for an exciting international programme, winning new fans across the globe and leading to a bigger, better game.

2008 Rugby League World Cup Down Under.

2009 Four Nations Tournament including Australia, England, France and New Zealand to be held in the Northern Hemisphere. Also Pacific Cup tournament including Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa and Tonga plus European Nations Cup in Northern Hemisphere.

2010 Four Nations Tournament to be held in the Southern Hemisphere.

2011 Four Nations Tournament to be held in the Northern Hemisphere plus World Cup Qualifiers.

2012 Great Britain Lions Tour Down Under plus World Cup Qualifiers.

2013 Rugby League World Cup in the UK.

2016 European Nations Cup in Northern Hemisphere.

2017 Rugby League World Cup in the Southern Hemisphere.

A GB tour was never more than a vague possibility, even then, rather than any kind of firm commitment.

This, you mean?

http://www.englandrl...k/long_game.php

The re-branding of England supports the RFL's and RLEF's strategy for the growth of the sport in the Northern Hemisphere. Such a vision for international development is vital to the future success of the sport. As mentioned earlier, the World Cup is a key part of this strategy. The tournament will be held every four years from 2013, with a four nations tournament held in intervening years (see 10-year plan summary on this page).

Of course the Great Britain name will not be forgotten. Players capped for the GB side will continue to receive the appropriate recognition for their past and future efforts and achievements on the world stage. And it is possible that a GB team could undertake an overseas tour some time from 2012 onwards. All this would provide a sound basis for an exciting international programme, winning new fans across the globe and leading to a bigger, better game.

2008 Rugby League World Cup Down Under.

2009 Four Nations Tournament including Australia, England, France and New Zealand to be held in the Northern Hemisphere. Also Pacific Cup tournament including Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa and Tonga plus European Nations Cup in Northern Hemisphere.

2010 Four Nations Tournament to be held in the Southern Hemisphere.

2011 Four Nations Tournament to be held in the Northern Hemisphere plus World Cup Qualifiers.

2012 Great Britain Lions Tour Down Under plus World Cup Qualifiers.

2013 Rugby League World Cup in the UK.

2016 European Nations Cup in Northern Hemisphere.

2017 Rugby League World Cup in the Southern Hemisphere.

A GB tour was never more than a vague possibility, even then, rather than any kind of firm commitment.

I think I said at the time it looked like it had been written on a fag packet - but that it was a better fag packet than normal.

If we only had GB right now we'd have just played a two-match test series against France.

Explain to me how that is better than this autumn series.

Same in 1966. All through the World Cup it was the Union Flag that represented England - at the stadium, in merchandise, World Cup Willie.

I think I said at the time it looked like it had been written on a fag packet - but that it was a better fag packet than normal.

If we only had GB right now we'd have just played a two-match test series against France.

I'm not arguing we should 'only' have GB playing. That was the whole point of the piece I wrote in RLW, published above. We need both. I don't believe it has to be a case of either/or.

Could have had a tri-series between France, Wales and Great Britain (with exactly the same squads). A bit silly, but there you go.

Could have had a tri-series between France, Wales and Great Britain (with exactly the same squads). A bit silly, but there you go.

No, no, noooooo!!! (Runs off to bang head against wall).

I'm not arguing we should 'only' have GB playing. That was the whole point of the piece I wrote in RLW, published above. We need both. I don't believe it has to be a case of either/or.

Sorry, I know, and I know the original idea was vague but the two going ahead *was* the idea. Underthought and ill-prepared maybe but ... welcome to rugby league.

My exasperated last line was directed to the world, not specifically you.

Do the Welsh, Scottish and Irish governing bodies get a say in the matter?

Would the shirt have to be re-designed to incorporate green into it?

God Save The Queen wouldn't really be acceptable to the players/supporters from Ireland (the sovereign state) - particularly if the hysteria about players in the Olympics having to sing it.

No, no, noooooo!!! (Runs off to bang head against wall).

Well who else would GB be playing? Aus and NZ weren't interested.

Would the shirt have to be re-designed to incorporate green into it?

God Save The Queen wouldn't really be acceptable to the players/supporters from Ireland (the sovereign state) - particularly if the hysteria about players in the Olympics having to sing it.

If some people want to get their knickers in a twist about the politics of it all, honestly, I'd just leave them to it and get on with the task in hand. No one would be forced to play for a GB team against their principles, and no one would be forced to watch a GB team against their principles. People can decide whether to sing a national anthem or not, according to their own tastes. That's all just a sideshow, so long as the home nations are still playing regularly too. That's the key. We don't replace the home nations fixtures with GB team fixtures, we are adding GB fixtures back into our international calendar. Hell's teeth, the rugby union manage all this, even football managed to get round such supposedly insurmountable issues to field a GB team at London 2012, why does it have to be made to appear an impossibility in Rugby League? :wacko:

How much of the budget of these governing bodies comes from the RFL's coffers?

I don't imagine they'll be arguing much.