Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lesmets

What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?

81 posts in this topic

The game would be finished. A lot on here would never admit it, but its true.

The game at professional level would be in difficulties if another backer couldn't be found.

Sky is not the only player.

As mentioned before, Super League rates currently on Sky, and the club part of it gets significant crowds and has a strong following in parts of the country. For those reasons alone, someone would always bid for the rights to Rugby League in the UK, if for no other reason than to gain a guaranteed ratings group.

Would they bid as much as Sky? Well that naturally depends on a lot of factors, ie. if this ever happened, who are the other competitors, strength of market tension, state of the economy and so on, so if Sky was to pull out, League might have to live with less or equal funds as to what it is getting now from TV, which would have an effect on the competition, but still the sport would still exist, and a professional competition would still exist, it just might have to re-evaluate living within it's means.

I know im gonna get flamed for sayin it but Would clubs like Saints or Wigan accept that or would they look to revenue that could be gained by joining Union or even the NRL though the logistics of that would be insane ,but I remember the Southern Orcas considering a bid to Super League after the NRL went with the Gold Coast , poss a European conference within the NRL

Wigan and Saints could get more money in Union now, so why wouldn't they look into this now?

Wigan and Saints could get more money in Union now, so why wouldn't they look into this now?

Surely the extra money they would get from the RFU would be offset by the dramatic fall in crowds if they were to switch codes?

Surely the extra money they would get from the RFU would be offset by the dramatic fall in crowds if they were to switch codes?

The likes of Wigan or Saints wouldn't get huge amounts of money from Union if they to switch unless they went straight into the premiership, which I would think would leave the RFU open to legal address from clubs that had to make way. Therefore they would have to work their way through the leagues on virtually nil support

I would love to see Sky pull out of Super league. Maybe then, all Rugby League clubs would be treated equally. Then we would see who runs their business well. Suddenly Halifax, Dewsbury, Leigh etc would be the big noises!

And we could open the pits again then we would have proper forrards like before.

I can why Sky would offload something expensive that sinks down the ratings - say thirty fat blokes botting each other in the mud whilst Simon Barnes has an orgasm - but losing rugby league is something they've shown themselves unwilling to do. As you say, they get it cheap, it's good ratings and guaranteed good television.

If they were to drop it - I think it more likely they'd try to pay less - we know that ESPN are desperate for content right now.

Just wanted to quote this, not because of anything you said mate, but I do love your sig :D

I know im gonna get flamed for sayin it but Would clubs like Saints or Wigan accept that or would they look to revenue that could be gained by joining Union or even the NRL though the logistics of that would be insane ,but I remember the Southern Orcas considering a bid to Super League after the NRL went with the Gold Coast , poss a European conference within the NRL

No no you have it wrong. To get the revenue lost by Sky pulling out they would look to where the money is and switch to being teams playing in the Indian Premier League 20/20.

You may as well ask any number of obvious questions. Unless sky have hinted they are looking to offload RL, why would you ask such a question?

The question was asked so debate can take place.

The game at professional level would be in difficulties if another backer couldn't be found.

The posters point was no one else had come forward and SKY pulled out.

My point still stands. The game would be finished.

The posters point was no one else had come forward and SKY pulled out.

My point still stands. The game would be finished.

Same would go for football if Sky pulled out and no one else came forward

The reason I asked the question was something that occurred to me when the Commission took over in Australia ,the commission it's self is a total reverse to Super League and they needed assurances from News Corp that they wouldn't attempt a rival comp.

Now with this in mind back in 1996 when the game switched to summer and News Corp paid the big money the intention was that they would control all RL and and the game globally would be run under the News Corp/Super League banner since this is no longer the case and News Corps influence over the Australian game is grately diminished ,would they ever consider dropping Super League to help fund retention of other sports like Soccer and dare I say it Union with them all about to go to war over European TV rights and BT making a big play for rights.

The reason I asked the question was something that occurred to me when the Commission took over in Australia ,the commission it's self is a total reverse to Super League and they needed assurances from News Corp that they wouldn't attempt a rival comp.

Now with this in mind back in 1996 when the game switched to summer and News Corp paid the big money the intention was that they would control all RL and and the game globally would be run under the News Corp/Super League banner since this is no longer the case and News Corps influence over the Australian game is grately diminished ,would they ever consider dropping Super League to help fund retention of other sports like Soccer and dare I say it Union with them all about to go to war over European TV rights and BT making a big play for rights.

Sport is completely different in Australia compared to here.

Sky have a TV deal, irrespective of what people like to claim. They do not own the game.

Sport is completely different in Australia compared to here.

Sky have a TV deal, irrespective of what people like to claim. They do not own the game.

Exactly ,in Australia Nine has always bean the main partner ,with Fox on the outside at the time this was the main reason for the superleague war and the fact they don't own the game may put them off bidding as much next time for UK superleague

The question was asked so debate can take place.

So.....what would happen to the PL if sky and other broadcasters pulled out?

I'm worried about what would happen to rugby league if a meteor destroyed the earth.

I'm worried about what would happen to rugby league if a meteor destroyed the earth.

I hope a meteorite does hit the earth, then we'll see how super 'super duper league' really is!

I hope a meteorite does hit the earth, then we'll see how super 'super duper league' really is!

There'd be a lot less aussie arrogance too.

Simple if no other backer came in there would be mass free agency because clubs wouldn't be able to honer player contracts ,so the best players would go abroad it would be like the 80s again ,but if the same happened to SL there is nowhere to go except the NRL or Union leaving clubs with no money in which to sustane the games profile, I would say it would be like the 80s except in the 80s outside maybe the 5 Nations Rugby League was the dominant code!

Simple if no other backer came in there would be mass free agency because clubs wouldn't be able to honer player contracts ,so the best players would go abroad it would be like the 80s again ,but if the same happened to SL there is nowhere to go except the NRL or Union leaving clubs with no money in which to sustane the games profile, I would say it would be like the 80s except in the 80s outside maybe the 5 Nations Rugby League was the dominant code!

You think all that would happen is a few players would move clubs or go abroad? If SKY pulled out, football would be in a real mess. A real mess. Its sailing close to the wind with all their billions.

Exactly ,in Australia Nine has always bean the main partner ,with Fox on the outside at the time this was the main reason for the superleague war and the fact they don't own the game may put them off bidding as much next time for UK superleague

no. not exactly. Sky will decide what they bid for based on things like viewers and price. The SL war is long gone yet Sky keep paying more for RL.

Same would go for football if Sky pulled out and no one else came forward

I never said it wouldnt.

Dont care as i dont want to debate about that topic.