Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RichardJ

World Club Challenge

65 posts in this topic

You do realise that there is not only more choice than that, but also there'd be more than 2,000 anyway so there's no point answering your question?

I'd like the WCC venue to be announced a year in advance, like all other major finals are. That means community clubs could add it to their list of events they could go to as a neutral (if it is in this country) or people could plan to save up and travel. Makes perfect sense really.

Makes no sense, we are in the middle of a crippling recession, how many Hull or other SL teams fans would follow there side to Dubai, Aus, NZ? Not many that is a fact. If you just look at away attendances at Catalans it's a hand full at best and thats only the south of France.

So NO neutrals would be bothered to save £2000 + for a trip to Australia to watch a team they don't support.

What would your guess be at the attendance then if it was held in Dubai if it's more than 2,000? :huh:

Playing at Leeds is only part of the advantage for the English Club.

How about playing the Storm in Melbourne in May when they have their Bye and the NRL has been going for several weeks?

All of the so called "offers" from Leeds to play the game in Oz? where are the formal, serious offers and what dates are Leeds offering to play these mythical offers?

All I have ever seen is a bit of gobbing off, hardly a sit down offer to play in Australia.

The WCC is a SL vehicle played in England at the time that suits the English team and is closely followed by English fans and is used as a false yardstick as a confidence builder.

When the Aussies Clubs have won this game it barely gets a mention in Australia as its an EXHIBITION match.

How about playing the Storm in Melbourne in May when they have their Bye and the NRL has been going for several weeks?

All of the so called "offers" from Leeds to play the game in Oz? where are the formal, serious offers and what dates are Leeds offering to play these mythical offers?

All I have ever seen is a bit of gobbing off, hardly a sit down offer to play in Australia.

The WCC is a SL vehicle played in England at the time that suits the English team and is closely followed by English fans and is used as a false yardstick as a confidence builder.

When the Aussies Clubs have won this game it barely gets a mention in Australia as its an EXHIBITION match.

leeds offer to manly for the last game was you name the date and venue and we will be there subject to rfl approval . now how much more flexiable do you want them to be.

You do realise that there is not only more choice than that, but also there'd be more than 2,000 anyway so there's no point answering your question?

I'd like the WCC venue to be announced a year in advance, like all other major finals are. That means community clubs could add it to their list of events they could go to as a neutral (if it is in this country) or people could plan to save up and travel. Makes perfect sense really.

woops i think he forgot the 30,000 away support hull take to every game

as for the plan and save up thats ok if you have the money but with a chalenge cup final and of course the semi plus the grand final to attend every year its a strain on the pockets of many leeds fans :D :D :D

leeds offer to manly for the last game was you name the date and venue and we will be there subject to rfl approval . now how much more flexiable do you want them to be.

That's a load of rubbish. Junk talk, chest beating ###### for the media, straight after a Grand Final

If Leeds were serious they would sit down with the Australian Club and discuss it.

If the Storm said Melbourne mid May do you think Leeds would be there? of course not. the big subject to rfl approval is the get out of Gaol card isn't it.

That's because they never win.

That's because they never win.

Well they have won 3 from the last 4 so I don't know how you work that out.

Maybe if the English Club played in Australia before their season starts and the NRL was 4-5 weeks under way we would see how many English Clubs would win? certainly not a Club that came fifth in its domestic comp.

Leeds best Club team in the World?

Played 27, won 16, lost 11, Points F/A +161

:lol:

Pretty low benchmark

Well they have won 3 from the last 4 so I don't know how you work that out.

Maybe if the English Club played in Australia before their season starts and the NRL was 4-5 weeks under way we would see how many English Clubs would win? certainly not a Club that came fifth in its domestic comp.

I thought you said it didn't count? So what does it prove if they have won 3 out of 4.

As for not playing in Aus, they are scared of losing, hence all the excuses. :)

beat me to it,cheers

That's a load of rubbish. Junk talk, chest beating ###### for the media, straight after a Grand Final

If Leeds were serious they would sit down with the Australian Club and discuss it.

If the Storm said Melbourne mid May do you think Leeds would be there? of course not. the big subject to rfl approval is the get out of Gaol card isn't it.

how more serious can you get?The sleave makes the offer most year's to play any where.He has also saId he wants it not just to be WCC between the two champion sides but he wants it to expand .

Leeds best Club team in the World?

Played 27, won 16, lost 11, Points F/A +161

:lol:

Pretty low benchmark

Ah then thats the whole point of posting on this thread,ENVY

I thought you said it didn't count? So what does it prove if they have won 3 out of 4.

As for not playing in Aus, they are scared of losing, hence all the excuses. :)

Where did I say it didn't count?

I said it is an exhibition match, that is all it is, a pre season friendly.

Why would Oz clubs be scared of losing? if you lose you lose that's Sport isn't it?

beat me to it,cheers

how more serious can you get?The sleave makes the offer most year's to play any where.He has also saId he wants it not just to be WCC between the two champion sides but he wants it to expand .

Ah then thats the whole point of posting on this thread,ENVY

Envy? what does that mean in this context?

Leeds would not make the Finals if they were in the NRL.

You think Delaney is a decent player FFS.

Just a quick search..

from 2007

World Club Challenge needs fixing, Craig Bellamy says

The newly appointed New South Wales State-of-Origin coach wants the competitions brought into line so the Challenge can be staged a fortnight after the respective grand finals -- rather than the next year.

"I'd like to see the concept of it changed a bit," Bellamy said.

"The Australian side is always travelling. We're playing in the cold and I think they've got four competition games up before we get over there.

"It's all slanted one-way.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/club-challenge-needs-fixing/story-e6frfgbo-1111114924580

Last year

Why Manly Wanted To Host The World Club Challenge

“The fact is that over there, we’d play in front of 25,000, 30,000 (people),” Penn tells Forty20. “If we play it here, we get 80,000, it’s a massive difference. The prizemoney is terrible. That’s got to change. The prizemoney for this (premiership) as well. The prizemoney for all of rugby league, considering how hard you have to work to get there, has got to chance. And I’m sure it will as more money comes in.

“I think it would terrific if we could play it here. We’d get three times the crowd, hopefully three times the money. Surely that’s in everyone’s interests.”

http://stevemascord.com/2011/11/23/why-manly-want-to-host-the-world-club-challenge/

So, in conclusion, the Aussies are scared to stage the game because their clubs aren't good enough.

Case closed.

To be serious for a minute, what is ridiculous about this is that Melbourne Storm are one of the finest football sides of any code in the world -bar none- and the game is played at Headingley. That's not a pop at Headingley, more a reflection on the strange state of affairs in the sporting world.

If there was any justice, this game would be held at Wembley - and sold out twice.

Makes no sense, we are in the middle of a crippling recession, how many Hull or other SL teams fans would follow there side to Dubai, Aus, NZ? Not many that is a fact. If you just look at away attendances at Catalans it's a hand full at best and thats only the south of France.

You're comparing an away trip to Catalans to the WCC? Really?

So NO neutrals would be bothered to save £2000 + for a trip to Australia to watch a team they don't support.

What would your guess be at the attendance then if it was held in Dubai if it's more than 2,000? :huh:

There's no benchmark for a game in Dubai to compare, so I aren't going to put a number on it. I aren't going to be a pessimist and do down the sport so I can somehow gloat if it does fail.

If the game was held in Aus and announced early, people could save up and go. Whether they be from Aus, England or wherever, they could save up.

In my opinion the game should be played somehwere between the UK and Australia. Dubai, Singapore, Hong kong, etc. Places with large expats communites and where we can chase the corparate Dollar.

nobody is claiming they would,but this game is the WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE.An annual game between the champions of the SL versus the champions of the NRL. Now this thread was about this fixture and why its being played at Headingley and not somewhere else.Now its over a month since the grand final and it appears that you have used this thread to show your displeasure at Leeds being SL champions once again.

nobody is claiming they would,but this game is the WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE.An annual game between the champions of the SL versus the champions of the NRL. Now this thread was about this fixture and why its being played at Headingley and not somewhere else.Now its over a month since the grand final and it appears that you have used this thread to show your displeasure at Leeds being SL champions once again.

Have you been drinking?

Where have I shown my displeasure at Leeds being Champions previously?

I could not care less if Leeds are champions.

I do not think they were the best team in SL by any stretch of the imagination, they were very average and I doubt they will be up there next season but the fact they won when they had to makes them the winners, no arguing that.

Have you been drinking?

Where have I shown my displeasure at Leeds being Champions previously?

I could not care less if Leeds are champions.

I do not think they were the best team in SL by any stretch of the imagination, they were very average and I doubt they will be up there next season but the fact they won when they had to makes them the winners, no arguing that.

yes but this thread is not about wether leeds are the best ,the best,or average.So why switch it from where the WCC game is taking place.

Surely the aim should not be for Leeds RL to maximise revenues, but rather reach to a wider market? Its not a Leeds home game afterall

Playing the game at Headingly or even in England is a joke. Why not in an RL heartland on true neutral soil -e.g. Carcasonne? Would prob get a full house. Playing in Dubai or Hong Kong also needs serious thought even though the crows would be smaller

If there was any justice, this game would be held at Wembley - and sold out twice.

If its going to be held in North of Eng then I think it may as well be at the home ground. However, I like the Wembley idea, big venue gives prestige, would attract fans from South, give a big event at start of season for North fans to get behind, could attract ex-pats in London, good for media coverage. Not sure it would sell out twice but reckon at start it may push 40k and fill bottom tier like last Eng v Aus match. Would then build year on year as an event as GF did.

a idea i've come up with is this

we start the "world RL season" with a RUGBY LEAGUE CARNIVAL/JAMBOREE.....held over a weekend either on the gold coast or sydney...and at the millennium stadium,under the roof,when held here..

on the friday night we'd have the World club challenge

and on saturday & sunday we'd have the World 7's or 9's for International teams only

kick the season off with a bang.