Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Severus

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

226 posts in this topic

(As an aside, does the Highway Code say it's fine to flash your lights for the usual reasons?)

What do you mean by the, usual reasons?

What do you mean by the, usual reasons?

"I'm letting you go", "thanks" and such.

You first of all say that no one should be driving a car if they cannot ride a bike. Correct

You then say there could be exemptions. You cant have both things. yes you can

The exemptions that disabled people have. Have nothing to do with learning or passing the theory and driving test

Evn you know how silly this idea is. I guess being a driving instructor does test your sense of humour.

All the climbing helmets i have seen have a high profile. you need to get our more, then

The other thing to think about. No government would ever be brave enough to bring this in. If they did you would have to wear one on a train, in a plane and so on. Clearly not as there are virtually no head injuries on those forms of transport. See below.

Like i said before. If you are going to come up with a working plan, it has to work. Your clearly does not. Try again. OK, but its not you I need to persuade,large numbers of people derided seat belts when they were first introduced. Despite only a bus and coach few accidents , seatbelts are now fitted on coaches and school buses.

No need. it is a matter of principle regarding the ability to cycle. There are numerous ways in which disabled people can cycle . Se here for example. http://www.getcyclin...ecial-needs.php

Cycling teaches awareness of road surfaces, road conditions, the way other road uses behave etc. It teaches people to actually observe what is going on around them and taking this forward with them as they move on to car driving is to me a sensible, viable and indeed essential way of doing things. As for helmets when driving, then you need to look at modern helmet technology outside of your experience. Of course, people are not going to wear helmets in cars, despite the views of people like Brake. However, that does not invalidate the argument that it would be beneficial. But what price are people prepared to pay or what risks are they prepared to take over nearly 27,000 killed or seriously injured last year on our roads.

Head injuries

It is estimated that in Britain, approximately one million people attend hospital A&E departments every year with some form of traumatic brain injury. Road crashes account for 40% to 50% of all brain injuries and are most commonly associated with severe injuries. [15] The largest group of people with brain injury is men aged 15-29 who have been in road crashes.

"I'm letting you go", "thanks" and such.

Unfortunately no.

This is the only mention about it in the highway code.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Of course, people are not going to wear helmets in cars, despite the views of people like Brake. However, that does not invalidate the argument that it would be beneficial. But what price are people prepared to pay or what risks are they prepared to take over nearly 27,000 killed or seriously injured last year on our roads.

You even say, Of course, people are not going to wear helmets in cars.

In saying that you sound like a man on a mission. So what is your proposal to make the government actually do something?

As a driving instructor

Me too. Just waiting for my pupil. Got to teach them "The Magic Roundabout". Always fun.

I'd start by getting driving instructors to discuss issues of "smidsy", cycle awareness, mobile phone/satnav use, accident stats etc with their pupils, as that could be be done immediately without legislation. I'd then add these into the legislative framework surrounding the whole licence adventure.

Clearly no one is going to wear a helmet when in a car, even though this is an eminently sensible measure and one that is continually advocated for cyclists.

I'd start by getting driving instructors to discuss issues of "smidsy", cycle awareness, mobile phone/satnav use, accident stats etc with their pupils, as that could be be done immediately without legislation. I'd then add these into the legislative framework surrounding the whole licence adventure.

I just love the way you think driving instructors do not do this already.

Now lets say for the sake of argument this is done. How do you know it will hit home. with the person you are talking to about it?

Me too. Just waiting for my pupil. Got to teach them "The Magic Roundabout". Always fun.

Good luck with it.

Only ever seen pics on the internet and it looks quite interesting B)

Now lets say for the sake of argument this is done. How do you know it will hit home. with the person you are talking to about it?

Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it shouild be done.

Some people are just plain stupid. My cyclist had a really good rear light - bright red and flashing! I saw him from a long way off, which made it easy to slow down to 10mph on the hill. It really would be suicide to cycle on the road from Sproxton to Hovingham without lights as there are no street lights for miles and it is really dark!

Thing is, that cyclist was the third that I had seen in a seven day period cycling at night without lights. Not one of the three was wearing a helmet either. Coincidentally, maybe, all three were male too! Oh, and one of them rode against the direction of the traffic as well.

Thankfully I saw a truly sensible cyclist on the way home tonight. He clearly knew stuff like the Highway Code, road safety and how to actually ride a bike. Restored my increasingly shakey faith in cyclists after the last week's encounters!

Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it shouild be done.

I understand this post may have been written with you not having much time John.

Now you have had a bit more time care to answer the second part of the post you have quoted.

Thing is, that cyclist was the third that I had seen in a seven day period cycling at night without lights. Not one of the three was wearing a helmet either. Coincidentally, maybe, all three were male too!

Ahhh ... the sweet smell of casual, misguided sexism.

But, anyway, riding without lights is idiotic but given that you saw them perhaps they didn't need them. It is illegal to ride without a light when it's needed though. Unlike wearing a helmet which is not a legal requirement and also of debatable benefit. Cycle helmets conform to no quality standards and will protect you best should you be hit by a van's wing-mirror. In pretty much every other case you're about as likely to have a head injury (and apparently more likely to have a neck injury) wearing a helmet.

And they will also be men because the majority of cyclists are.

1. Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it should be done.

2. Depends how good you are at it, really.

Presumably his twelve month ban from driving will run at the same time as his 12 month jail sentence?

That would be truly absurd if it is actually the case.

How is this not attempted murder?

On face value I'd agree with you but perhaps there is more to it? Maybe the kid had done lots of things to the guy or his family and eventually the guy cracked? Not a reasonable response but he clearly lost it for whatever reason.

Not that I'm saying that is the case but frequently people are driven (no pun intended) over the edge.

Ahhh ... the sweet smell of casual, misguided sexism.

Nothing misguided about it. I have yet to see on my commute a female cyclist behaving like an idiot. So far all of them - and there have been so many - have been male.

Nothing misguided about it. I have yet to see on my commute a female cyclist behaving like an idiot. So far all of them - and there have been so many - have been male.

You appear to be getting distracted by healthy young men whilst driving ...

Maybe the mad females don't hit the road until its time to do the shopping. :rolleyes:

Oh purlease

She's not far wrong in this it lady cyclists are much more polite and respect other road users than your average fat guy in lycra.

Having said that I always try to be a considerate cyclist even not jumping the queue in traffic, it's amazing how better treated you get from a car when you need to take the right lane to turn, if they have seen you waiting in front of them in thUe queue at the lights, rather than cut through the cars everywhichway before suddenly cutting across