Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Severus

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

226 posts in this topic

The 'eintracht' vision that motorists are consumed by when approaching the Sainsburys next door to me is a local phenomenon and causes regular incidents, some involving cyclists and pedestrians

(I appreciate that in these PC times one cannot generalize that the majority of tunnel vision driving seems to be done by women in pursuit of Nectar points, so I wont)

Its not till you get on a bike you realise that most motorists have no awareness at all of what a cyclist experiences through inconsiderate driving

The 'eintracht' vision that motorists are consumed by when approaching the Sainsburys next door to me is a local phenomenon and causes regular incidents, some involving cyclists and pedestrians

(I appreciate that in these PC times one cannot generalize that the majority of tunnel vision driving seems to be done by women in pursuit of Nectar points, so I wont)

Its not till you get on a bike you realise that most motorists have no awareness at all of what a cyclist experiences through inconsiderate driving

I've done much more driving than cycling recently as I've been without a bike (bloody thieves). It really isn't difficult to share the road with cyclists. They aren't going to slow you down that much to warrant dangerous driving. I have no problem with them taking the lane and setting off early from traffic lights. Perhaps it's jealousy from drivers that cyclists can travel faster in urban traffic and are healthier ;).

What stance is that?

That everyone has to get out of the way of cars.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

That everyone has to get out of the way of cars.

But they don't have to get out of the way of every car, just MINE! :angry::D

Couldn't have put it better myself.

You have mistaken how i have put my posts across.

If someone opens a car door without checking that its clear. They are at fault 100%.

Car drivers are taught to be aware of other roads users. To think what will happen if someone makes a mistake. Motorbike learners are taught the same. They also learn defensive riding techniques. So they are aware of the problem of putting themselves in harms way.

I did not mean cyclists have to move out of the way of cars. My point was cyclists have to do the same to keep safe.

It has amazed me that some on here cant or wont see that. Taking into account how venerable cyclists are.

If someone opens a car door without checking that its clear. They are at fault 100%

Odd then that your posts about the guy who opened his door and killed a cyclist seem to be very much trying to find a way to move blame from him to the dead guy.

Odd then that your posts about the guy who opened his door and killed a cyclist seem to be very much trying to find a way to move blame from him to the dead guy.

Thats the way you have read it. Thats not what i meant.

I wanted to know why he was so close. I asked about the type of lane he was in. If that had anything to do with him being so close to the car.

You have mistaken how i have put my posts across.

If someone opens a car door without checking that its clear. They are at fault 100%.

Car drivers are taught to be aware of other roads users. To think what will happen if someone makes a mistake. Motorbike learners are taught the same. They also learn defensive riding techniques. So they are aware of the problem of putting themselves in harms way.

I did not mean cyclists have to move out of the way of cars. My point was cyclists have to do the same to keep safe.

It has amazed me that some on here cant or wont see that. Taking into account how venerable cyclists are.

:D Great Freudian slip mate!

If that really is the case, all other road users should move aside and doff their caps every time they see a cyclist.

:D Great Freudian slip mate!

If that really is the case, all other road users should move aside and doff their caps every time they see a cyclist.

No slip at all.

Cyclists having very little, if any protection when a accident happens. They should be more aware of the danger they can be in.

No slip at all.

Cyclists having very little, if any protection when a accident happens. They should be more aware of the danger they can be in.

Pardon me then, I thought perhaps you meant "vulnerable" rather than "venerable".

This chap springs to mind:

albert-einstein-on-bike.jpg

Who...giwildgo?

Pardon me then, I thought perhaps you meant "vulnerable" rather than "venerable".

Doh.................sorry i now see what i have done :D

Doh.................sorry i now see what i have done :D

No worries, it was fantastic! :lol:

Who...giwildgo?

That's a relief.

I was a bit worried you wouldn't recognise him.

No slip at all.

As an avid cyclist, this is probably the best advice any cyclist can take, cos let's face it not matter how much polystyrene you wear, or how many bright halogen lamps you adorn yourself with, you WILL con of second best in any collision.

It is of course incumbent upon all of us to take care of the most vulnerable and venerable in society. Of course, people should look out for themselves, but shouldn't we be concentrating stopping offenders rather than saying the victims should have taken more care?

It is of course incumbent upon all of us to take care of the most vulnerable and venerable in society. Of course, people should look out for themselves, but shouldn't we be concentrating stopping offenders rather than saying the victims should have taken more care?

Yes

Interesting infographic about cyclists jumping red lights. I didn't think it would be as high as 16%.glue-red-lights-infographics.jpg?w=610&h=1007

Honest question John.

How?

1. training and effective, staged and progressive driving test for a start. Look at the new motorcycle testing/licencing regime and ponder why there is not such a similar regime for car drivers who, as long as the can afford the insurance can drive any car of any power and any performance anywhere.

2. Increase the chances of detection and when detected and convicted, the penalty.

1. training and effective, staged and progressive driving test for a start. Look at the new motorcycle testing/licencing regime and ponder why there is not such a similar regime for car drivers who, as long as the can afford the insurance can drive any car of any power and any performance anywhere.

2. Increase the chances of detection and when detected and convicted, the penalty.

John i fully agree with you on both points. A lot of instructors want a form of control over new drivers. The government always say its not going to happen.