Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WearyRhino

Police Commissioner elections

Are you going to vote in the Police Commissioner elections?   24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote in the Police Commissioner elections?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Not eligible to vote.
    • No election in my area.
    • I have no idea what you talking about. Elect what? When? Where...???

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

80 posts in this topic

Also John I was slightly suspicious of you BBC buying 28% of the Guardian's daily circulation quote both times I've seen you mentioned it. Now I've looked in to it I've not surprisingly found its guff!

Here's the root figures as I understand them! From a freedom of information request issued the BBC released figures showing that BETWEEN the dates of 1st April 2010 and 28th February 2011 the BBC bought 59,829 copies of the Guardian. That's not per day, that is in that particular 11 month windows, so since I can't be bothered counting the actual says I'm going to assume a 30 day month 30x11 = 330 divide by the number of copies bought through that period = 181.3 copies per day. Whilst the Guardian has a small circulation its a bit higher than that!

According to Wikipedia the Guardian's daily circulation for 2011 is 279,308, making the actually daily percentage of the Guardian's print edition the BBC buys as 0.06480301316109814%

Phew! At least we can put that one to bed!

That's how I get a lot of my research done! :) Now, what % of the Telegraph's print run does the BBC buy? :rolleyes: Have a care, though, as I have been accused on here of having too much trust in Wikipedia as a source.

Just because other media outlets are saying the same thing does not absolve the BC from accusations of bias. I used to play in brass band that marched in Manchester's Whit Walks. Frequently, I was the only one in step!

Anyway, though it is drifting from the point somewhat, my point stll stands. someone has to act as the opposition

The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It's a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities and gay people. It has a liberal bias not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias",

Andrew Marr.

"People who know a lot more than I do may be right when they claim that [global warming] is the consequence of our own behaviour. I assume that this is why the BBC's coverage of the issue abandoned the pretence of impartiality long ago",

Jeremy Paxman

"We need to foster peculiarity, idiosyncrasy, stubborn-mindedness, left-of-centre thinking." Ben Stephenson BBC Drama Commissioning Controller

"I do remember... the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. I'll always remember that" Jane Garvey, Radio Five Live May 10th, 2007, recalling May 2nd 1997

In 2011 Mark Thompson, the then BBC Director General, wrote, "In the BBC I joined 30 years ago there was, in much of current affairs, in terms of people's personal politics, which were quite vocal, a massive bias to the left."

That's how I get a lot of my research done! :) Now, what % of the Telegraph's print run does the BBC buy? :rolleyes:

Lets spread the net wider why don't we? The raw FOI figures are (not from wiki but from the BBC document that released them... findable on the commentator and order order) :

Times: 51,384

Telegraph: 48,968

Mail: 45,553

The Sun: 42,905

Total right-wing: 188,810

Guardian: 58,829

Independent: 43,709

Total left-wing: 102,538

So in total the BBC buys more right wing newspapers a day than it does left wing! What a shock!

I'm curious though as to where you got your 28% figure from? Did you assume the 11 month figure was a daily figure or did you just copy it from somewhere else?

Also using quotes from people, all of whom have a bias one way or another isn't evidence, its anecdotal at best, completely cherry picking at worst.

The Times has twice the print run of the Guardian, so you need to do your sums again on the original basis. Of course, like 73.8% of all statistics, the 28% was made up. Quotes from real people at the BBC? As if they know anything! Hardy anecdotal, either. And cherry picking? Well, yes, there are SOOO many of them to pick.

Still, if you dismiss a veritable avalanche of cherries as " anecdotal", you's similarly dismiss the denials of that very busy Newsnight team. Or not....let me guess.

The Times has twice the print run of the Guardian, so you need to do your sums again on the original basis. Of course, like 73.8% of all statistics, the 28% was made up. Quotes from real people at the BBC? As if they know anything! Hardy anecdotal, either. And cherry picking? Well, yes, there are SOOO many of them to pick.

Still, if you dismiss a veritable avalanche of cherries as " anecdotal", you's similarly dismiss the denials of that very busy Newsnight team. Or not....let me guess.

I'm sorry John I'm having a bit of a credibility issue with you on this one! You've just admitted to making up a damning figure you've bandied around, and your telling me I need to rework my maths. Would you like to point out why the times print edition has any baring on my figures? Oh sorry that's right it doesn't!

And your bringing in to doubt my credibility!

If you think what a few people say in different interviews is anything other than anecdotal (especially when you know I can find quotes saying the opposite) then I'm afraid it's going back to you just looking like you've an anti bbc agenda.