Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

Feeder clubs? - Eaton speaks

204 posts in this topic

Yes to both points. Some actually do ,most don't.

Those clubs with any sense do actually try to look after their own backyards., but they're a minority......

The biggest problem seems to be that virtually all Championship clubs are effectively skint and I've seen documents this year suggesting a lot of them begrudge even this figure as it has to be paid each time they sign on a ' part time ' pro , sometimes just to bolster their rotas.....

Any one out there from Featherstone Lions who can say what the ' Zak ' factor did for them financially ?

thanks mate.

I'm a bit taken aback.

Well, that's how it is.

Everyone wants a service. No-one wants to pay for it.

Well, that's how it is.

Everyone wants a service. No-one wants to pay for it.

but what about morality?

edit: and fairness and justice and that.

SERIOUSLY???

Blimey :O

I have heard of agents taking big fees but Mr. Mullaney takes the biscuit.

An £80,000 handling fee for introducing £450 Zac Hardaker to Leeds.

Nowt to do with me Parky, I'm just a fan like you. Bigger clubs than Fev have cashed in on good juniors. It doesn't seem adequate I agree but that's how it is. I'd like to think that Rovers help the Lions in other ways.

Hunslet, either the club or the surrounding area, has been a feeder club, or feeder area since the late sixties, or maybe even further back. First Hunslet Juniors, and then Hunslet Parkside have always produce outstanding youngsters that have signed for other clubs rather than stay in South Leeds, and many have gone to the Loiners, who never bothered to develop decent junior teams themselves but waited to poach the cream from Hunslet, Fev, and other prolific nurseries. I often wonder if the fortunes of both clubs would have been different today if Hunslet had been called Leeds and the Rhinos had been called Headingley when they first formed?

At least now Hunslet might get some benefit, they might get some ex-Parkside Juniors back, and they might get an increase in crowds from Rhinos supporters. Most of them can easily catch a bus to Dewsbury Road, but I'm not sure how Widnes supporters are going to get to Workington?

Steve, it will be interesting to see whether the RFL have the inclination to arrange the Hunslet and Leeds home games so that there's no clash. Even if they do I just can't see Rhinos fans paying 20 odd quid plus travel costs to watch their team on a Friday night then fork out another £16 to watch their A team in the guise of Hunslet Hawks.

Nowt to do with me Parky, I'm just a fan like you. Bigger clubs than Fev have cashed in on good juniors. It doesn't seem adequate I agree but that's how it is. I'd like to think that Rovers help the Lions in other ways.

do you think it fair and moral that your club 'cashes in on good juniors' in this way.

justice fairness and morality seems to figure highly in your output on this and other forums.

For many years you were a senior member of thre Rovers' heirarchy, and eager to speak out against unfairness real or percieved. What other ways did and do Rovers help out local amateur clubs from whom they sign players?

do you think it fair and moral that your club 'cashes in on good juniors' in this way.

Admittedly, it's a hell of a mark-up at 80,000%, but exactly how much work did the Lions do ? Did Hardaker just have innate talent when he arrived ?

Admittedly, it's a hell of a mark-up at 80,000%, but exactly how much work did the Lions do ? Did Hardaker just have innate talent when he arrived ?

Leeds wanted Zak's signature well before his contract expired. Warrington were also keen to sign him. The two SL powers entered into a bidding war and Rovers accepted the best offer. I can't see much wrong with that, it happens in major sports all the time.

Rovers didn't just inherit a gifted player, he wasn't wanted by SL clubs as a junior and didn't make any of the rep camps. He really blossomed once he joined the Rovers system so I think it's fair to say that Daryl Powell and his team played a major part in Zak being the player he is now. Zak himself will tell you that.

maybe, but not sure what Rovers did with him.

When he landed at Leeds playing centre he couldn't/wouldn't pass so they didn't teach him that :D

When he landed at Leeds playing centre he couldn't/wouldn't pass so they didn't teach him that :D

See above post Parky. Rovers did enough to to have Hetherington and Smith salivating over him. Listen to Zak's comments about his time at Fev here

See above post Parky. Rovers did enough to to have Hetherington and Smith salivating over him. Listen to Zak's comments about his time at Fev here https://vimeo.com/37554772

so Rovers behaved honourably towards the Liions with their hundred quid.

You were in a senior post at Rovers when they sifned Paul Newlove from Travellers sants. Newlove had a brilliant career at Rovers, and he went to Bradord for a recotd fee(how that money was used is a topic for discussion in itself). When he joined Rovers from Travs he was regarded as a prodigy, what did Traves get form Rovers?

How hardaker enjoyed his tine at Rovers is immaterial, we are talking about the signing of amateur players for next to nothing and in this and other cases profirting hugely financially. Without Hardaker learning the game at Lions his talent would never have come to light. Do you think thids is moral, fair etc etc?

Rightly or wrongly I'm a bit worried about the Batley/Hudds partnership. I note that JK states he's excited having looked at the Giants squad and that he'll have some 'top liners' at his disposal. I do hope this arrangement is conducted in the way the system his intended. Huddersfield have been strangely no committal about what's in it for them

leeds were playing him out of position. he was a fullback.

And full backs are not supposed to be able to pass????

Just a bit of fun O.R. take your point........

Yet according to your forum a few weeks ago, when Leeds asked Fev to play him at Full Back when he was on Dual Reg, Fev outright refused and set him back to Headingley.

Hmm...

Leeds wanted Zak's signature well before his contract expired. Warrington were also keen to sign him. The two SL powers entered into a bidding war and Rovers accepted the best offer. I can't see much wrong with that, it happens in major sports all the time.

Rovers didn't just inherit a gifted player, he wasn't wanted by SL clubs as a junior and didn't make any of the rep camps. He really blossomed once he joined the Rovers system so I think it's fair to say that Daryl Powell and his team played a major part in Zak being the player he is now. Zak himself will tell you that.

you're quite right Terry, Zak was continually overlooked by s/l scouts when he was at lions. it was the fev scout at the time ( a man who has a great talent for spotting raw talent and potential), who brought him to the fev scholarship, where his rise was meteoric.

Yet according to your forum a few weeks ago, when Leeds asked Fev to play him at Full Back when he was on Dual Reg, Fev outright refused and set him back to Headingley.

Hmm...

if we had plaayed him at fullback, where would we have played hardman. we tried him at centre and it just didn't work. perhaps gary thornton will be faced with the same dilemma

hmmm

if we had plaayed him at fullback, where would we have played hardman. we tried him at centre and it just didn't work. perhaps gary thornton will be faced with the same dilemma

hmmm

If York are trying to squeeze a player in their team as good as Zak Hardaker, I certainly won't be complaining!

:D

If York are trying to squeeze a player in their team as good as Zak Hardaker, I certainly won't be complaining!

:D

a drop of the shoulder, a swerve of the hips, and he's gone :lol:

no, it's no good. i've been checking my programmes and i can't find any criticism of rovers treatment of rovers young players or their amateur clubs, by any contributor. i'll keep looking though, and obviously i dont have them all ,so maybe i've missed it.

Hmm...

He was an outstanding winger for Fev before he signed for Leeds, and there was a place for him in that position when he came back. When he played full-back for Fev he didn't seem as effective as he did on the wing, where he was the best outside Super League. So why would they go through the growing pains of developing him as a pro full-back (different from playing there as a junior), while putting Hardman's nose out of joint at the same time, purely for Leeds's benefit?

Why would they go through the growing pains of developing him as a pro full-back (different from playing there as a junior), while putting Hardman's nose out of joint at the same time, purely for Leeds's benefit?

For the £80,000 perhaps, helps the club balance the books......

For the £80,000 perhaps, helps the club balance the books......

before or after tax? :D

He was an outstanding winger for Fev before he signed for Leeds, and there was a place for him in that position when he came back. When he played full-back for Fev he didn't seem as effective as he did on the wing, where he was the best outside Super League. So why would they go through the growing pains of developing him as a pro full-back (different from playing there as a junior), while putting Hardman's nose out of joint at the same time, purely for Leeds's benefit?

I'm not saying they should have, I was just picking up on a comment saying Leeds were playing him out of position.