Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

After Starbucks, etc comes.....

59 posts in this topic

Same with coffee houses. That paragon of social responsibility Tesco has invested in a chain of boutique coffee shops without particularly mentioning that they are involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20943739

Which goes to show that you have to either know the proprietor personally or do some good research if you want to avoid filling a megacorp's coffers.

There's a Harris & Hoole near me and they do an excellent job of pretending to be an independent coffee shop. I've been in once, checked their prices, and left without buying.

I never use coffee shops, as they all seem to do exactly the same thing. Automatic, push-button Espresso with boiled milk added (and various other adulterations), which you have to order in naff cod-Italian jargon. Served Chernobyl-hot, naturally, so by the time the coffee's cool enough for you to taste it and realise how thin and nasty it is, you've walked far enough away that you can't be bothered to go back and complain. And the prices! Dear God!

Make a very modest investment in a grinder, a filter cone* and some papers. Then try a few different coffee bean types, find your favourite(s) and make your own ideal cup of coffee. If you want a coffee for your morning commute, a thermos mug is worth getting.

*or a filter coffee machine, which are dirt cheap if you avoid boutique labels.

:lol: :lol:

I personally will always support independent coffee shops...you know, the one that don't buy their water from corporate water companies like Anglian water, those that don't buy their electricity from corporate suppliers like Eon, and those that don't use coffee makers from corporates like Gaggia. It seems that Totnes has something like 40 + independent places where you can get coffee. Too much caffein!!

I take the extra quirk with the coffee to be the equivalent of pubs that have bizarre agricultural implements (and/or hurling sticks) on the wall.

You'll be telling me next that Frankie and Benny's isn't really an Italian-American New York diner magically transplanted to High Wycombe Shopping Centre.

Its a front for the mafia.

Following this comment I decided to ditch Google and have been searching for something as good.

I have settled on Blekko, which I've been using since Christmas and it seems to do everything I need without all the Google bloat. I am not sure what their ethics are like, but I have satisfactorily proved to myself that the only thing that keeps Google in business is user laziness.

The irony is, of course, that I found Blekko by searching on Google!

DuckDuckGo is much hyped but useless BTW.

Given Blekko a week's tryout, but it isn't giving me as good results as Google. Like them or not, Google is still up there with the best as a search engine. So now I'm using StartPage, which uses Google to generate search results, but doesn't track or share personal information etc.

After Starbucks, etc comes..... Apple.

I never use coffee shops, as they all seem to do exactly the same thing. Automatic, push-button Espresso with boiled milk added (and various other adulterations), which you have to order in naff cod-Italian jargon. Served Chernobyl-hot, naturally, so by the time the coffee's cool enough for you to taste it and realise how thin and nasty it is, you've walked far enough away that you can't be bothered to go back and complain. And the prices! Dear God!

Make a very modest investment in a grinder, a filter cone* and some papers. Then try a few different coffee bean types, find your favourite(s) and make your own ideal cup of coffee. If you want a coffee for your morning commute, a thermos mug is worth getting.

*or a filter coffee machine, which are dirt cheap if you avoid boutique labels.

or drink tea