Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Browny

You'll love moaning about these

93 posts in this topic

An obese bear in a horrendous tank top that has a talking ball as a friend. Makes perfect sense.

oh FFS the rfl make themselves a laughing stock yet again.

How will 'Steed' attend matches? Are they going to hire a midget?

This thought had passed my mind too. Warwick Davis isn't a fan of the game is he?

We could get a dog and dress him in a "Steed" costume and he can run about the pitch just like a Steedan ball does when it's kicked.

Plus it'll be cheaper than hiring a midget - gotta think about profit.

Edit: ###### HELL I HOPE THAT VIDEO ISN'T A SIGN TO COME I HOPE WE'RE NOT GOING TO SEE EVERYTHING TRANSLATED INTO BLOODY WELSH AS WELL.

Any particular reason why they chose a bear?

It's a gay thing.

Well! Never in all my 36 years have I been so insulted.

The mascots apparently were designed by a young kid who entered a competition to design them.. whether you like them or not, does anyone really care what any mascots look like?..

I think the bear is great - can't remember a mascot for a previous tournament (and no doubt will forget this one after) but it all helps to keep the event in the public eye. With the Lockyer visit and tour they have hit the ground running.

This thread is everything I expect from a RL forum! Anyone criticising this should think back to the 2000 version; Bluke Tryscorer, an alien sent to earth to find the best 13 players on the planet.

FWIW I think they'll go down very well with the kids, I might even purchase cuddly versions of Grubber for my nephews.

RLWC2013 media release

Grubber grabs attention as Rugby League World Cup 2013 mascot

Three lucky children nominated by Rugby League World Cup 2013 hosts have had a big say in the design of the brand new tournament mascots.

Finished designs of ‘Grubber’ and ‘Steed,’ were shown to the children for the first time at the England v France match in Hull on November 2 2012.

Chosen from over 1,000 entries from the UK and France the three winners were Emily Sixsmith, nominated by Hull; Luke James, nominated by Bolton and Sam Bithell nominated by Wigan. All three contributed elements to the overall design of the mascots.

The crowd at the Autumn International Series Final in Salford were introduced to the three young designers as they helped launch Grubber and Steed’s images before they go into production ready for 2103.

Rugby League World Cup 2013 General Manager, Sally Bolton said: “To have young fans involved in the creation of our mascot was important for us. This was to make sure that we really had something that 6-12 year old fans could really engage with.

"Grubber and Steed will be a big part of RLWC2013 and will bring new young fans and families to the tournament and thereby also help with our legacy commitments”.

Grubber is a large bear character. He has a cheeky Rugby League ball shaped side-kick called Steed. Grubber wears a shirt which has the logos of the 14 competing nations on and will be there cheering on every team during the tournament.

Grubber and Steed themselves will appear for the first time at a special event early in 2013.

-ends-

Martin Johnston

RLWC2013 Communications Manager

bears carp in the woods-woods- talking balls, it all fits

These Mascots at designed to grab lid's attention, not for miserable old RL fans. I think they will work well as Ronnie the Rhino does.

Get some interactive animation going on, or a short series of episodes for kids to download.. could be a winner..

If they have cuddly versions available for Xmas that's my boys' presents sorted.

I like 'em. But then I liked Wenlock & Mandeville too.

You've got to have a sense of fun about these things! :)

You've got to have a sense of fun about these things! :)

No we do not

this american style gimmicry is killing this great sport of ours and turning into a laughing stock.

The millions that the idiots running and ruining! our game will have spent on this joke could have been spent in the heartlands.

Real rugby league fans, who know what they are talking about unlike you don't care a toss about this farce of a so called world cup. I for one will be boycotting it on moral principle.

now that the tablets have kicked in: I think it's a good name and the mascot should appeal to children. Can't wait for the World Cup next year.

No we do not

this american style gimmicry is killing this great sport of ours and turning into a laughing stock.

The millions that the idiots running and ruining! our game will have spent on this joke could have been spent in the heartlands.

Real rugby league fans, who know what they are talking about unlike you don't care a toss about this farce of a so called world cup. I for one will be boycotting it on moral principle.

now that the tablets have kicked in: I think it's a good name and the mascot should appeal to children. Can't wait for the World Cup next year.

You had me worried for a minute then! :D

If they have cuddly versions available for Xmas that's my boys' presents sorted.

Tightwad.

Just give them 2 different sized bears from a charity shop and tell them they are the mascots. More money saved and they'll never know the difference. :)