Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Browny

You'll love moaning about these

93 posts in this topic

Indeed. I bet they'll make a killing flogging a real-life 'Steed' to all the excited kiddies next year.

And the completists will want a full set of those RWC balls. Ker-chinggg!

And the completists will want a full set of those RWC balls. Ker-chinggg!

Only eleven, how am I going to get the full set, sob

Nice set of balls, that.

I must admit, Steed didn't seem cryptic to me - it's a good name.

This is the most balls I've seen on a thread since I last bothered to read one in which the Parksider had participated.

If they have cuddly versions available for Xmas that's my boys' presents sorted.

What are the odds that theyll be on sale the week before it starts?

What are the odds that theyll be on sale the week before it starts?

Going off the rest of the #RLWC2013 build up so far, I would say a lot longer odds than normal, to be fair.

A good mascot can go a long way towards creating a great tournament experience for spectators. I will never forget, for example, going to the Ice Hockey World Championships in Germany and seeing a giant blue dinosaur dancing with the cheerleaders. Whenever he performed acrobatics or interacted with the fans, it seemed to lift an already cracking atmosphere up a further notch. I think Grubber and Steed will work well and will help fans attending their first game to enjoy their day out.

The heritage ball looks class!

LRAB13Ball%20RLWC%20Leather%20Heritage%20Ball.png

boy do I want one of these.

The sizes available are listed as '5' and 'Midi', which doesn't tell me much.

5 is the standard playing size, and Midi means mini.

5 is the standard playing size, and Midi means mini.

I thought midi was size 4 (9-11 year olds) and mini was size 3 (younger than 8)?

I thought midi was size 4 (9-11 year olds) and mini was size 3 (younger than 8)?

Probably aye.

Actually, I just noticed some of the balls (England, NZ, Australia) have an extra size, hence the wider price range.

Nice set of balls, that.

I must admit, Steed didn't seem cryptic to me - it's a good name.

I personally thought it cryptic as I'd never heard of "Steeden" until they were mentioned on this thread.

Unlike some on here I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports ball manufacturers.

Or any knowledge if it comes to it.

I personally thought it cryptic as I'd never heard of "Steeden" until they were mentioned on this thread.

I'm afraid you've just outed yourself as not a True Fan.

Steed's all very well, but I'd prefer Emma Peel.

Unlike some on here I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports ball manufacturers.

Or any knowledge if it comes to it.

That's mad!

You've really never noticed that we've been playing with Rugby Balls with Steeden written across them for a good few years now?

I don't think you need an encyclopedic knowledge of ball manufacturers to know about Steeden!

Steed's all very well, but I'd prefer Emma Peel.

always a cathy gale man myself

A good mascot can go a long way towards creating a great tournament experience for spectators. I will never forget, for example, going to the Ice Hockey World Championships in Germany and seeing a giant blue dinosaur dancing with the cheerleaders. Whenever he performed acrobatics or interacted with the fans, it seemed to lift an already cracking atmosphere up a further notch.

Random World Cup dinosaurs are so passe.

_970723_bluke_rhino300.jpg

Talking of mascots, Berlino the Bear had a longer shelf life than most. Created for the World Athletics Championship in Berlin, this hyperactive attention-seeker managed to drop an athlete he was carrying piggyback-style on her victory lap, and I saw him at at least two more sporting events in Germany over the next year or so.

the-bear.jpg

On the other hand, there was Footix (1998 FIFA World Cup) - the Steve Brookstein of mascots. He made a fleeting appearance at the draw, then was rarely if ever seen again. I believe the 'thespian' inside the suit tried to sue the French FA.