Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

TRL PARIS BUREAU: advice please

46 posts in this topic

it just gets better

thanks guys.

It will take pretty much a whole day, but my God, you must visit Versailles. It is about a forty minutes train journey from Gare du Nord, The grounds are as breathtaking as the the house is exquisite.

I have been advised that a trip to Pere Lachaise Cemetery is well worth a visit. I am a bit dubious about it though!

Probably not the highlight of a visit to Paris but I still thought it was worthwhile. The scale of the place is staggering.

Probably not the highlight of a visit to Paris but I still thought it was worthwhile. The scale of the place is staggering.

If you're a buff on French literature and politics post-1789, it's a quite mind-blowing experience seeing all of those names in one place.

If you're not, it's just a load of tombstones.

If you're a buff on French literature and politics post-1789, it's a quite mind-blowing experience seeing all of those names in one place.

So, I take it you dig graves then?

I love it. Great place to spend a chilly autumn morning.

Think I've mentioned it on here before, but there is the most romantic epitaph there from a man to his wife. "Elle provoquait la joie".

As others have said, if the knees and weather hold up, try to walk everywhere.

I love it. Great place to spend a chilly autumn morning.

Think I've mentioned it on here before, but there is the most romantic epitaph there from a man to his wife. "Elle provoquait la joie".

As others have said, if the knees and weather hold up, try to walk everywhere.

cheers tt

tickets have arrived. Two and a half weeks to etre mis a feu

thanks shad. We plan to move around a bit. I want to photograph myself to death. What's it like on the metro? What are tyhe most photogenic parts to visit?

Get off the metro at the Station Charles de Gaulle Etoile (Metro lines 1,2 and 6). The escalator that you take to come to ground level gives you a great first time view of the Arc de Triomphe as it takes you up.

The folk in Paris are a bit like those in London: meet some in the pub, and there's a reasonable chance they'll be a good laugh. The majority you'll come across will be in the metro or working on ###### pay, and there's a reasonable chance they'll act like rude arseholes.

Thats my experience of Paris folk too - similar in many ways to how working New Yorkers or Londoners treat tourists. I've never been offended by their occasional rudeness and suspect I'd be similar if my work town/ city was full of bumbling tourists.

I've been more offended by them in areas of the Vendee that are very popular with Parisians in the summer holidays and they take their rudeness on holiday with them too!

Jim Morrison's grave is a bit of a mess.

###### ing hippes, scruffy bastards.

Most photogenic areas are

Luxembourg Gardens (my favourite Paris Park), Louvre, Notre Dame from all sides(you can get some good shots from the bridges around the back), Versailles, for the Eiffel Tower get off at Trocadero, Alexander III bridge leading to Invalides, Sacre Coeur and the top of Montmartre immediately to the left, Rodin Museum and virtually anywhere along the Seine, For different perspectives try a boat trip along the St Martin Canal, or the incredible views from the skyscapers at La Defence and Montparnasse.

Most photogenic areas are

Luxembourg Gardens (my favourite Paris Park), Louvre, Notre Dame from all sides(you can get some good shots from the bridges around the back), Versailles, for the Eiffel Tower get off at Trocadero, Alexander III bridge leading to Invalides, Sacre Coeur and the top of Montmartre immediately to the left, Rodin Museum and virtually anywhere along the Seine, For different perspectives try a boat trip along the St Martin Canal, or the incredible views from the skyscapers at La Defence and Montparnasse.

duly noted

that's a big help mate

I wanna go now.

Me too. Haven't been for about 8 years now. This thread has really whetted my appetite.

I wanna go now.

You should have thought about that when he asked you, now he's taking his wife he can't really back out can he? :P

I went with Sixth Form back in 2005-ish when schools and parents could still afford to crepe like that, heading by coach from the airport to wherever we were meeting really sucked some of the glamour out of it. Passing scraggy high rises laden with graffiti. For some reason I didn't think the outskirts would resemble the a*se end of London. But as JB alluded to earlier in the thread, I found it to be a French London. Which may sound daft but I'm sure some would agree.

I went with Sixth Form back in 2005-ish when schools and parents could still afford to crepe like that, heading by coach from the airport to wherever we were meeting really sucked some of the glamour out of it. Passing scraggy high rises laden with graffiti. For some reason I didn't think the outskirts would resemble the a*se end of London. But as JB alluded to earlier in the thread, I found it to be a French London. Which may sound daft but I'm sure some would agree.

What does 'a French London ' mean? I live In London and Paris is nothing like London.

Every city has good and bad parts .

What does 'a French London ' mean? I live In London and Paris is nothing like London.

Every city has good and bad parts .

I dunno, I just thought they were very similar really. Paris had the same sort of hustle and bustle, tourists, look and feel. It felt samey. At that time I'd only been to Barcalona and that did seem a lot different.