Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There was a rule that meant that you couldn't play for your Country unless you had played for your County - and you couldn't play for your County unless you had represented your District in the Town Team!

Then, to make sure coaches were able to pick who they wanted, they changed it to mean that you couldn't play for your County if you had "refused" to play for your District, etc etc.

This, in effect, was meant for perennial GB players who were selected year after year, not wanting to bother playing in their Town Teams. If they turned up for training they were eligible (even if they weren't actually available for selection due to work commitments or injuries etc).

Before you start shouting your mouth off Marauder - this was well before the RFL had representative amateur sides. It was BARLA who allowed these changes to go through - pushed through by the coaches of the BARLA GB teams - and most certainly NOT the Districts or the County Committees.

Before you start pointing a finger I've been involved since 1977 :O I was also Involved as a payer in the 5 metre/yard rules as well as the 10, I also know who got the head and feed at te scrum if you made the ball bounce before going out from a kick, Just for you, David Gent also agreed to use the county rule for the Community Lions team as well.

The county championship fixtures were put on the calendar last February and where targeted for these dates as the NCL had been scheduled to have finished by then, the NCL play-offs were added later.

Before you start pointing a finger I've been involved since 1977 :O I was also Involved as a payer in the 5 metre/yard rules as well as the 10, I also know who got the head and feed at te scrum if you made the ball bounce before going out from a kick, Just for you, David Gent also agreed to use the county rule for the Community Lions team as well.

The county championship fixtures were put on the calendar last February and where targeted for these dates as the NCL had been scheduled to have finished by then, the NCL play-offs were added later.

I, too, have served my time in the amateur game. More years than I care to remember, but racking up at almost 40! I remember when it used to be fun (oh, happy days!) and volunteers did it because they wanted to.