Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The King Of Leon

and the opening ' band' at the new Leeds Arena is..

74 posts in this topic

Mine and Robbos favourite The Smyths used to play there a lot, class Smiths tribute band, now moved up to Brundell, Seen Bad Manners there a few times too, you get all the best tribute acts there, Beautiful Southmartins etc.

Yeh thats it now Gaz Tribute bands,not that i'm against them but i think bands that write there own stuff have been lost,hardly any about nowadays,a few months ago Sid went to see a Chubby Brown tribute act at the Miggy Conny club,whats that all about..........i would have thought a tribute act was those who are dead or not perfoming no more,but i've had good times watching tribute acts and a sore head the next morning B)

My live venue gig guide to Leeds 1, The Brudenall- best venue by a mile 2 The Cockpit - a bit small but decent easy to get to and good parking 3 The Wardrobe - decent sound but dont get enough bands imo 4 The Roscoe - out of the way and even though they get great tribute bands struggle to get punters through the door, a shame because it deserves more. 5 O2 Academy- a big venue with big names but you pay for it... 6 Refectory Leeds Uni - not been much apart from Half Man Half Biscuit last year so hard to comment 7 The Fenton, Pack Horse, Primrose too small s hit holes Not one venue in South Leeds you notice!

Cross Keys up Morley(near Asda) seem to do a decent pub scene for bands,Duck n Drakes not bad for bands on a smaller scale.......Went down to The Eigar Music Studio last week,rehearsal and sound recording,plus a small staged area and a room that holds 1,000 people for raves and such,bar as well,i did'nt even know it was there,only found out about 2 months ago,my mate went to see about repairing one of there PA's.........its at the bottom of Dewsbury road,where the Craven Gate was (other end).........

Mine and Robbos favourite The Smyths used to play there a lot, class Smiths tribute band, now moved up to Brundell, Seen Bad Manners there a few times too, you get all the best tribute acts there, Beautiful Southmartins etc.

Was talking to Graham the other week and The Smyths will never play Roscoe again as they don't have tribute bands on a Saturday. How stupid can ya get? They used to sell out Everytime.

Cockpit is the best venue to watch a band in Leeds by a country mile.

Seen complete stone roses at cockpit and it was spot on. Seen em at Joseph's weel aswell and don't recon much to it there

Was talking to Graham the other week and The Smyths will never play Roscoe again as they don't have tribute bands on a Saturday. How stupid can ya get? They used to sell out Everytime.

Smyths at the Roscoe has to be one of the best gigs i have been to. Haven't seen them at Brundell yet but will be going next time they are on.

Smyths at the Roscoe has to be one of the best gigs i have been to. Haven't seen them at Brundell yet but will be going next time they are on.

The Total Stone Roses + Oaysis are playing Fri 30th Nov 2012 at The Eigar Studios £6 (Dews rd)...... Gaz.....sorry Macca thought it was Gaz who wrote the Roses msg.....my eyesites going,wheres that cake....... B)

21st September The Smyths are at Brudenell.

21st September The Smyths are at Brudenell.

Cheers Daz, long time to wait! :(

Cheers Daz, long time to wait! :(

I know but I normally get one in before hand like derby or Darlington.

The Total Stone Roses + Oaysis are playing Fri 30th Nov 2012 at The Eigar Studios £6 (Dews rd)...... Gaz.....sorry Macca thought it was Gaz who wrote the Roses msg.....my eyesites going,wheres that cake....... B)

Haha them pesky cakes mate. I've seen them aswell and not worth £6. Average at very best

Haha them pesky cakes mate. I've seen them aswell and not worth £6. Average at very best

I'll let you know when "STEPS" play.......

I'll let you know when "STEPS" play.......

What about s-club 7!!!! Are you still in fan club mate haha

What about s-club 7!!!! Are you still in fan club mate haha

I got a key ring and a silk scarf with this years membership,going to see em in March, got my lighter for the slow numbers :wub:

Confirmed that Kaiser Chiefs will open Leeds arena 13th September 2013

Does KOL get in any cheaper to these venues with him being unemployed and a pensioner ?

Speaking of leeds venues i remember seeing hawkwind at the queens hall , an alnighter with aurthur brown on the bill . i was also at leeds town hall for the focus concert that directly led to the famous sound limit being applied of 96 decibels as people were leaving the town hall totally deaf and one with a bleeding eardrum . The most stand out concert i saw at leeds town hall in hindsight was in 1973 with mott the hoople featuring a little known band as support that did alright for themselves later ...think they called themselves Queen .great days .

Status Quo got banned from Leeds after trouble in the 70's when they played the Town Hall , I remember Leeds Council banning Ozzy from hanging a miget and useing lazers at the Queens Hall 82........funny what bands you see supporting , then they end up being bigger than the bands they support....saw Bon jovi support Kiss at the Queens Hall 84.......

In the early 90's I went to see James (of "Sit Down Next To Me" fame, plus numerous smaller hits).

On first to warm the crowd up that night ... Radiohead.

Much earlier than that even (probably some way short of my 18th birthday :O ) I went to a gig at a large and often dangerous pub up Roundhay Road called the Forde Green. The band were working hard at fusing synths into punky-style songs. It's probably fair to say they were still on their "learning curve", and not everyone in the crowd was appreciative of their efforts ... in fact I'm not even sure if they managed to finish their set.

The name of that band was Simple Minds.

In the early 90's I went to see James (of "Sit Down Next To Me" fame, plus numerous smaller hits).

On first to warm the crowd up that night ... Radiohead.

Much earlier than that even (probably some way short of my 18th birthday :O ) I went to a gig at a large and often dangerous pub up Roundhay Road called the Forde Green. The band were working hard at fusing synths into punky-style songs. It's probably fair to say they were still on their "learning curve", and not everyone in the crowd was appreciative of their efforts ... in fact I'm not even sure if they managed to finish their set.

The name of that band was Simple Minds.

Some big bands played the Fforde Green , i think its a polish super store now , and further up the road was another good venue "The Astoria" good times.........

Seen Simple Minds a couple of times at the Forde,y. Used to get some pretty big bands on, seen the sex pistols, stranglers, be bop deluxe all in their early days there.One band from South Yorks seemed to be on every other week , Hair of the Dog...then they changed their name to Saxon.I rate the Irish Centre on York Road as well, decent stage good sound and get 500 in no problem.

Seen Simple Minds a couple of times at the Forde,y. Used to get some pretty big bands on, seen the sex pistols, stranglers, be bop deluxe all in their early days there.One band from South Yorks seemed to be on every other week , Hair of the Dog...then they changed their name to Saxon.I rate the Irish Centre on York Road as well, decent stage good sound and get 500 in no problem.

I think they where called "son of a #####" steve before they became Saxon.....

youre right rick, im thinking of that pub on the cinema complex on kirkstall road doh !

You might have been at the same "Minds" gig as me then KOL! You might have spotted us, we were the group of naive under-age looking types, standing not too far from the exit doors in case it all kicked off!! :D