Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tim2

Southern Conference 2013

119 posts in this topic

It seems to me that London would be better off rationalising resources (playing, financial and personnel) into 8-10 sustainable clubs spread across the city. Too many teams, not enough clubs.

Potentially we could have a London division of say:

Hammersmith (A?)

Clapham

Beckenham

Croydon

Greenwich

Barking and Dagenham

Newham

Mudchute

With the number of new clubs it would be best to go for 10 games and semi regionalise to cut down on cross London travel.

My query would be that with Newham being a relatively new club, operating at junior and senior level, is it necessary to have Mudchute just down the road. Would they both not be better off working together to create one strong, sustainable club? I'm just using those guys as an example btw, the same could be said of Beckenham impacting on Souths and Greenwich.

I know a few years ago a couple of friends and I were looking to get something going in west/central London. The thinking was that the sharks, then based in Osterley, were too far west for us to realistically get to. Anyway, when we approached the London ARL they were concerned about us spreading the resources too thinly. In the end we couldn't find a place to play so it didn't get off the ground, although Hammersmith have since filled the general area we were looking at.

Playing devil's advocate somewhat, but could it be argued that admitting an overtly Antipodean club like Hammersmith has been harmful to the comp?

Have they drawn in a high proportion of Aussies and Kiwis who might otherwise have bolstered other clubs around the capital, without actually adding any sustainable long-term benefits (eg, links to the community, local juniors etc)?

Not a dig at HHH, just an honest question.

As an ex-Souths player, Julian's post made enlightening but depressing reading.

The £250,000 down the toilet beggars belief, although I am aware of another example of the RL Foundation getting hoodwinked in this way (albeit on a smaller scale).

I just hope this situation can be rescued

I;m with you on this Rob.. and its very sad that when you think of a few years earlier we were really moving somewhere.. wish i could have helped out the last few years but couldnt do it from so far away. You think of those around in the mid 2000's there arent many of us back in London but all of us would have helped if we could and it tends to show the difficulty Julian mentioned of London, longevity and admin staff.. the amount of htat team no longer in london is massive, all of us loved the club but all of around the same age so have young families and moved away.. London is a very tough place to get things going, once established they are great but it takes more than 10-15 years to establish something in london becuase of this transcience, its a strange old place.

London Skolars A being serious must make a difference as well. Especially now they're stepping up to a level above the rest.

I;m with you on this Rob.. and its very sad that when you think of a few years earlier we were really moving somewhere.. wish i could have helped out the last few years but couldnt do it from so far away. You think of those around in the mid 2000's there arent many of us back in London but all of us would have helped if we could and it tends to show the difficulty Julian mentioned of London, longevity and admin staff.. the amount of htat team no longer in london is massive, all of us loved the club but all of around the same age so have young families and moved away.. London is a very tough place to get things going, once established they are great but it takes more than 10-15 years to establish something in london becuase of this transcience, its a strange old place.

Totally agree mate. I'd actually be surprised if many of the lads who played at Frant Road in the early to mid noughties still live in London. All the lads I can think of, other than Harks and Eric, have long since departed the smoke.

I think someone on here said that the amateur summer leagues would be announced before Christmas. Have they and I've missed them, or is there a delay. Anyone know?

I think someone on here said that the amateur summer leagues would be announced before Christmas. Have they and I've missed them, or is there a delay. Anyone know?

Last I heard one club was faffing around delaying things but because the league is smaller than anticipated the RFL would still like to have them in.

The lack of travel funding seems to be an issue as well.

There are enough clubs for the league to go ahead which is a relief as IMO there's nowhere for Bristol, Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton to play at tier 4 if it falls through

Hemel and South Wales are entering teams in the U20 league which may partly explain the reduction in numbers here

See Cheltenham's Old Patesians are starting up a rugby league side in 2013 and being linked as the feeder club to Glos All Golds. Whats happening to Glos Warriors?

See Cheltenham's Old Patesians are starting up a rugby league side in 2013 and being linked as the feeder club to Glos All Golds. Whats happening to Glos Warriors?

Gloucestershire Warriors are still going but will only run one team in the West of England league. I saw some publicity calling them Gloucester Warriors but don't know if the name change is official

Gloucestershire Warriors are still going but will only run one team in the West of England league. I saw some publicity calling them Gloucester Warriors but don't know if the name change is official

Is it Easter weekend that Oxford play All Golds in CC1. Would be good to put on Cavaliers-Warriors as a curtain raiser to that. Also 17 years after Gloucetershire may well get its own derby Warriors/St Pates. All good stuff. Any idea where GAG will be playing.

UGAG are playing in Cheltenham think it's at the RU ground?

Prince of Wales Stadium?

If All Golds, Oxford and the 2 Welsh clubs stay around for the long run what price a Conference League West eventually setting up with the increased interest?

If All Golds, Oxford and the 2 Welsh clubs stay around for the long run what price a Conference League West eventually setting up with the increased interest?

Let's hope that works better than the Welsh League!

The Welsh league was always a case of rapid unsustainable growth. Hopefully we've learned from experience

2 Welsh sides as in North Wales Cru and SW Scorpions?

2 Welsh sides as in North Wales Cru and SW Scorpions?

Yeah. Guess North Wales sides could look Lancashire way when they're stronger as well but just thinking hypothetically. Would South Wales be better with 2 amateur clubs playing 20 games or 6 playing 10? Both would be preferable of course if possible.

"Official Cheltenham feeder club" is how it's worded in the press release. Key difference. In theory all clubs in the West of England league (and the Conference League South club from the area, ahem) are "feeder clubs". I wouldn't read too much into it - basically it's one of Lionel Hurst's ideas. Personally I think the All Golds putting too much emphasis on a local union club is a bad idea - they may well get bored with League within six months and can the project.

In terms of the Warriors, I suspect they don't trust Lionel after getting their fingers burnt by him before. This is also fair enough, and it's their choice. I personally hope they survive and thrive - it would be bad if a local union club having a run out in the summer leads to their downfall, or in fact any other League club in the region.

Guessing fringe pro players would have to be sent to Bristol (if they agree) as West of England would be too low a standard?

http://www.yorkshire...th-to-launch-in

The 6 clubs are:

Bristol Sonics

St Albans Centurions

Nottingham Outlaws

Northampton Demons

Leicester Storm

Sheffield Hallam Eagles

Apparently 4 sides have made expressions of interest to join in 2014. I believe these would create a more South East aligned league. I'm not aware of if Premier South will still run at tier 4 or not.

Apparently 4 sides have made expressions of interest to join in 2014.

I believe it'll be 2 in 2014 and 2 in 2015