Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tim2

Southern Conference 2013

119 posts in this topic

OK, clubs scheduled for a meeting tomorrow.

Who's up to guess the likely runners and riders at the starting gate next March/April?

Come on bowes, you know you want to....

Okay then I'll have some kind of go.

IMO:

Definites:

Bristol

Nottingham

Northampton

St Albans

Eastern Rhinos

Probables:

London Skolars A

Hemel A

Leicester

Sheffield Hallam (if geographically permissable)

Possibles:

South Wales Hornets

University of Gloucestershire All Golds A

Hammersmith Hillshoists

Not at all bad Bowes !

I believe the meeting tomorrow is a presentation by the RFL to clubs who have expressed a real interest in being involved

You may have named just one too many clubs , that's all............. ;)

Will they be playing a full season?

If the eleven go for it then yes , 20 league games plus Conference Cup and (probably ) qualifying round (s) of the Challenge Cup during 2013.

I'm going to guess at Hammersmith being the ones not in? 11 teams is a good league though.

VERY positive meeting today, some good themes discussed around season calendar, governance and minimum standards. Clubs now have until 30th November to present their case to the RFL for membership.

Which direction do people think the midlands and south tier 4 leagues should go?

I think with the creation of the Conference South they should look at making it one level as localised as possible. But would perhaps be harsh on the likes of Birmingham and South London?

Which direction do people think the midlands and south tier 4 leagues should go?

I think with the creation of the Conference South they should look at making it one level as localised as possible. But would perhaps be harsh on the likes of Birmingham and South London?

Can't speak for London but it's Birmingham's own responsibility to get their house in order to become a club that can produce a good strong team reliably over a long season rather than a team of variable quality in the RU off season. We can't build structures around the needs of one club. That goes for all clubs, including my own.

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

Can't speak for London but it's Birmingham's own responsibility to get their house in order to become a club that can produce a good strong team reliably over a long season rather than a team of variable quality in the RU off season. We can't build structures around the needs of one club. That goes for all clubs, including my own.

On balance I agree. Realistically Midlands Rugby League has enough clubs for 2 divisions so it's just a debate between whether they are west and east or premier and division 1. I tend towards the former.

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

Also east London has several clubs in the merit league who may step up to a London division (if it were split from south east), though the same point I made above with regards to how to split the midlands divisions could be applied to London and South East.

The sticking point is if Hammersmith aren't a part of the Conference South as there's no way Greenwich or Barking and Dagenham say could play them. But this is a return to Tim's point about not basing it round one club.

What you up to this time Mr Harker???

One issue I just thought of is will this affect the Community Shield format as this year there were 10 teams from the south but realistically once you've created Conference South there are very few tier 4 midlands or south teams you could safely send to play Fryston or Bank Quay.

Does Conference South have to be tier 3?

Surely the playing standards would be more like tier 4?

One issue I just thought of is will this affect the Community Shield format as this year there were 10 teams from the south but realistically once you've created Conference South there are very few tier 4 midlands or south teams you could safely send to play Fryston or Bank Quay.

Don't think there is many tier 3 sides who would be safe either.

Is it a case of the quality of the packaging or the quality of the product.

Lets see what tomorrow brings. This is probably as significant a development as the launch of the summer conference 17 seasons ago.

Easily as significant, probably more so. I just hope the league sets a high standard - as the Summer Conference did all those years ago -and sticks to it.

The devil is in the details. National league three could have been significant if the timing had been right.

If it's tier 4 then the clubs can't get RFL funding in the same way so wouldn't be viable IMO. The standards would probably not be too different from NCL division 3, at least after the first season of promotion and relegation has occurred.

Exactly the point!

Did the same when they introduced premier divisions to the RLC, dressed it up and with the clamber to be called a premier division club some fell at the first fence simply because they never had the criteria where it really matters.

If it's tier 4 then the clubs can't get RFL funding in the same way so wouldn't be viable IMO. The standards would probably not be too different from NCL division 3, at least after the first season of promotion and relegation has occurred.

Thats just a ploy not to give BARLA tier 4 clubs funding.