Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tim2

Southern Conference 2013

119 posts in this topic

Did the same when they introduced premier divisions to the RLC, dressed it up and with the clamber to be called a premier division club some fell at the first fence simply because they never had the criteria where it really matters.

I think we're a fair way on from those days tho. Im sure the standards will be as equally robust and as rigourously enforced as other Tier 3 comps.

What you up to this time Mr Harker???

Me? Not much! I've been asked if I want to be involved. Still mulling it over

Get involved, you have to much knowledge of the game to be wasted.

A fiver says you cave in before the season starts!

Are you no longer involved with Storm? I thought you, Gilesy, Julian and others had come back to rescue the club after the 'issues' that coincided with the slump.

Thats just a ploy not to give BARLA tier 4 clubs funding.

Why should BARLA or any other tier 4 clubs get central funding? We, and the Spires before us, have never had any cash from the RFL. I think the end to RLC subsidies and centrally paying 100% for refs was long overdue.

Why should BARLA or any other tier 4 clubs get central funding? We, and the Spires before us, have never had any cash from the RFL. I think the end to RLC subsidies and centrally paying 100% for refs was long overdue.

An 80-20 split in favour of the heartlands seems a fair split in terms of elite amateur funding IMO

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

Where would a merged South London and West London be likely to play?

BARLA did receive £130k ring fenced which helped to fund BARLA services.

On unification all funding was then channelled to the RFL and was part of the £29.7 Million over 3 years which did get reduced because of non delivery of certain items, after the vote to go summer by many amateurs the RFL have dedicated the funding to tier 3 which is all summer based and with tier 4 being mainly winter no money was directed that way, The RFL put this down to the loss of an amount from the £29.7 million from Sports England.

To many twists and turns but in short tier 3 is being funded because thats the next step down from the pro game and the RFL are preparing for the next step which is placing contracted championship players in the NCL which of course is under the control of the RFL.

This will leave the RFL controlling all clubs from Super League down to the NCL all without wearing a mask - From my sources I was told that a certain member of the NCL Committee was against contracted players playing in the NCL, I'm waiting and watching.

A fiver says you cave in before the season starts!

Are you no longer involved with Storm? I thought you, Gilesy, Julian and others had come back to rescue the club after the 'issues' that coincided with the slump.

Not sure what's happening at Storm! I know that Beckenham Bears seem to be attracting a few of the Storm guys so i could be a tough year for the club. The move to the school probably hasn't worked as well as was hoped.

Beckenham could hit Greenwich as well who really struggled last year. A new Croydon team must be harmful as well. For Hammersmith to be the oldest amateur club in London would be a sad state of affairs.

Beckenham could hit Greenwich as well who really struggled last year. A new Croydon team must be harmful as well. For Hammersmith to be the oldest amateur club in London would be a sad state of affairs.

Indeed. The game in London seems to have hit a bit of a hiatus after the huge successes of recent years. I hope it is only a temporary blip. It all looked so very promising very, very recently.

Indeed. The game in London seems to have hit a bit of a hiatus after the huge successes of recent years. I hope it is only a temporary blip. It all looked so very promising very, very recently.

I think Skolars recruiting well at A team level and Hammersmith taking Aussies off other clubs may be factors? There may be local factors though wouldn't like to guess. South London Storm have always done well at junior level though

South Wales has hit a much worse hiatus but hopefully in both cases something good can come as a result of junior development and new clubs? The question is whether to focus on a handful of strong clubs or lots of little ones.

BARLA did receive £130k ring fenced which helped to fund BARLA services.

On unification all funding was then channelled to the RFL and was part of the £29.7 Million over 3 years which did get reduced because of non delivery of certain items, after the vote to go summer by many amateurs the RFL have dedicated the funding to tier 3 which is all summer based and with tier 4 being mainly winter no money was directed that way, The RFL put this down to the loss of an amount from the £29.7 million from Sports England.

To many twists and turns but in short tier 3 is being funded because thats the next step down from the pro game and the RFL are preparing for the next step which is placing contracted championship players in the NCL which of course is under the control of the RFL.

This will leave the RFL controlling all clubs from Super League down to the NCL all without wearing a mask - From my sources I was told that a certain member of the NCL Committee was against contracted players playing in the NCL, I'm waiting and watching.

RFL grant aided non heartland activity for many years

The creation of a Tier 3 covering the whole of the UK gave the NCL the opportunity to argue that what was granted elsewhere should equally be granted to them. That argument was successful. The funding has been transitional and it has yet to be equalised , but that will happen if it continues.......

Tier 3 is a summer based concept . Any grants at this level ( the RFL are in serious cutback ) have yet to be negotiated....The South included . They well understand that. Let's see where we get......

The RFL no more control the NCL than they do SL. Or Barla for that matter. Everyone accepts overall governance , but day to day management is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And so to contracted players in the Community game. It's up for discussion on monday at Regulatory. Hope you have briefed your people Marauder......

But let me put this proposition.

If a scheme can be devised that means effectively 200 + players don't sign part time contracts in the first place and remain in the Community game , and a further 200 are available to the clubs within the Community game that are ' fringe ' semi - pro players anyway, thereby enhancing the player base at Tier 3 and top Tier 4 ,what are your philosophical issues ?

Or is it simply a case of massive mistrust in those put in charge of the process - probably the greatest failing of Barla in the last 20 years.....?

Not sure what's happening at Storm! I know that Beckenham Bears seem to be attracting a few of the Storm guys so i could be a tough year for the club. The move to the school probably hasn't worked as well as was hoped.

Wasnt there significant investment into the facillity there?

The creation of a Tier 3 covering the whole of the UK gave the NCL the opportunity to argue that what was granted elsewhere should equally be granted to them. That argument was successful. The funding has been transitional and it has yet to be equalised , but that will happen if it continues.......

Tier 3 is a summer based concept . Any grants at this level ( the RFL are in serious cutback ) have yet to be negotiated....The South included . They well understand that. Let's see where we get......

The RFL no more control the NCL than they do SL. Or Barla for that matter. Everyone accepts overall governance , but day to day management is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And so to contracted players in the Community game. It's up for discussion on monday at Regulatory. Hope you have briefed your people Marauder......

If a scheme can be devised that means effectively 200 + players don't sign part time contracts in the first place and remain in the Community game , and a further 200 are available to the clubs within the Community game that are ' fringe ' semi - pro players anyway, thereby enhancing the player base at Tier 3 and top Tier 4 ,what are your philosophical issues ?

Or is it simply a case of massive mistrust in those put in charge of the process - probably the greatest failing of Barla in the last 20 years.....?

In that case whats good for tier 3 should also be good enough for tier4 and was it argued for or simply offered.

Day to day management within whos guidelines?

Regulatory, ha ha done deal simply because the NCL can't retain the players during the summer so the overspill championship players will make the numbers up (You've lost your amateur game)

I think Skolars recruiting well at A team level and Hammersmith taking Aussies off other clubs may be factors? There may be local factors though wouldn't like to guess. South London Storm have always done well at junior level though

South Wales has hit a much worse hiatus but hopefully in both cases something good can come as a result of junior development and new clubs? The question is whether to focus on a handful of strong clubs or lots of little ones.

What I can't understand is the RFL have been reporting that thousands of kids have been playing the game in London since 2004 and probably before to my knowledge, where are these kids now.

In our area we are lucky to get 75 boys in one school age group and have to fight with 2 local junior football teams for their service.

Wasnt there significant investment into the facillity there?

Yes, the RFL funded a 3G pitch. Next year there'll be a grass pitch alongside.

In that case whats good for tier 3 should also be good enough for tier4 and was it argued for or simply offered.

Day to day management within whos guidelines?

Regulatory, ha ha done deal simply because the NCL can't retain the players during the summer so the overspill championship players will make the numbers up (You've lost your amateur game)

Why are you so obsessed with professionals and amateurs? Given the history of our sport it really is a nonsense that people draw up such divisions.

Interesting you mention them playing at tier 4. Personally I think pros playing at tier 4 would be a step too far but guess there's a difference between them playing in the Cumbria League or NW Men's premier and playing in a west midlands division

Interesting you mention them playing at tier 4. Personally I think pros playing at tier 4 would be a step too far but guess there's a difference between them playing in the Cumbria League or NW Men's premier and playing in a west midlands division

I posted TOP Tier 4 i.e. Premier or Top Divisions only......

Marauder conveniently forgets that Barla allowed professionals - they were called ' Permit Players ' - for over 30 years at 2 per team ( not club ) regardless of that team's competition level ..... No-one ever claimed Barla had ' lost the amateur game ' by doing that ( though they may well have done since 2004 by not doing lots of other things .... :( )

The stuff being discussed at Regulatory ( Barla included ) is much more structured than that.

"Pro" players in SL academies are a different thing standards wise to someone who is playing for, say, Skolars and wants to be able to play for their "A" and First Teams interchangably. (i.e. there are differences in geography, level of "professionalism" etc.)

The rules need to potentially cover all cases. Not easy but as noted above, the gulf we have between amateur and professional needs to be closed - crazy when you think about how the sport started.

Why are you so obsessed with professionals and amateurs? Given the history of our sport it really is a nonsense that people draw up such divisions.

Not bothered about Pro's playing in the amateur game personally, It's the fact that Pro's will be getting the game time at amateur clubs while amateurs at that club and many more will have to sit the weekend out without a game.

Quick one!!! Is the role of the amateur club too provide a game for professionals who are not getting selected or to provide somewhere for rugby league players TO PLAY who can't make the grade?

Before anyone says the amateurs can filter downwards, where do the ones play that fall out of the bottom of the filter?

"Pro" players in SL academies are a different thing standards wise to someone who is playing for, say, Skolars and wants to be able to play for their "A" and First Teams interchangably. (i.e. there are differences in geography, level of "professionalism" etc.)

The rules need to potentially cover all cases. Not easy but as noted above, the gulf we have between amateur and professional needs to be closed - crazy when you think about how the sport started.

Example of a player in the Zone and then a few years later Tim, Dean Sampsons 1st game as a amateur saw him completely single handedly destroy the opposition, a few years later he played against the same teams 2nds and never looked out of place.

Yes, the RFL funded a 3G pitch. Next year there'll be a grass pitch alongside.

Who's the best person to talk to about to learn about the club's experiences. We're doing a similar thing later next year and would be keen to hear some advice.

I posted TOP Tier 4 i.e. Premier or Top Divisions only......

Marauder conveniently forgets that Barla allowed professionals - they were called ' Permit Players ' - for over 30 years at 2 per team ( not club ) regardless of that team's competition level ..... No-one ever claimed Barla had ' lost the amateur game ' by doing that ( though they may well have done since 2004 by not doing lots of other things .... :( )

The stuff being discussed at Regulatory ( Barla included ) is much more structured than that.

Could see the gradual creation of an effective tier 3.5 IMO