Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobrock

cricket declared

69 posts in this topic

India 212:6 - this is a bit of all right! B)

Mind you, England haven't batted yet. :unsure:

Hey, we're good at Cricket again! B)

Great win, but it will be interesting to see if they change the team for the next test.

I think the Sword of Damocles is hanging over:-

- Jonathan Trott. I bet he wishes he had agreed to open the batting when they asked him. Ian Bell's a better bet to perform against quality spinners.

- Stuart Broad. Not used in the second innings. On current form, Tim Bresnan can bat better than him and bowl better than him.

I think they'll get one more chance. Trott, at least, deserves one.

Apparently, we've never won a Test Match before with Swann and Panesar both playing.

Next pitch will be different. We lulled them into preparing a real ripping turner and proved we have better spinners than they do (when we pick them) - that won't happen again.

Expect Calcutta to be flat and slow. Hope we win the toss and get 500-600.

Trott will stay in. Bell may replace Patel - unless they feel they need a part time spinner on a flat track.

Finn should come in if he's fit, and I would keep both spinners. England like 6 batsmen and I can't see them risking Prior at 6. If England had a high class all rounder who could bat in the top 6 and bowl first change they would be a great side. As it is we have to go with 4 bowlers and if one of them is not firing we are in trouble.

On another note, the Aussie bowling attack looks fairly toothless which is good news for next year. We just have to hope Clarke's form is temporary. Somebody said that Australia's first innings was like the Monty Python Brontosaurus - thin and both ends and very thick in the middle.

Bell may replace Patel - unless they feel they need a part time spinner on a flat track.

Pietersen can do that job if required

What a turnaround. I didn't think they were capable. But thanks to Monty, KP, Cook and Swann, we did it.

The others, meh.

Broad should not be playing. He's been in desperately poor form for too long. Must be dropped for Finn (or even Brezzy). I hate it when some players get that golden-boy protected status unmerited.

Compton can stay but needs an innings.

Trott has the quality to play his way out of his bad ....err... trot.

JB was unlucky, he can stay but needs a knock.

There is no way on God's green earth that Bell should be let back in the side. He's been woeful against spin for far too long.

As for Patel, he offers precisely nothing. No runs, and what's the point of being a third spinner if you never take a wicket? Stick Morgan in there, at least he might get a few runs.

India 273 for 7 after the first day. Good work, although we still don't know if Bell's got his batting mojo back yet.

Broad's gone thank goodness, his form is hot, and he's been pinching a salary. Needs to put some honest graft in.

Patel's a lucky boy.

Bell's a very very lucky boy and has it all to prove.

I'd've had Root and Bairstow/Bresnan in there.

Broad's gone thank goodness, his form is hot, and he's been pinching a salary. Needs to put some honest graft in.

Patel's a lucky boy.

Bell's a very very lucky boy and has it all to prove.

I'd've had Root and Bairstow/Bresnan in there.

I meant "excrement" not "hot"

India 316 all out - England 208 for 1. Yet another century for Captain Cook. :)

Just read on Twitter, and I don't know if it's true, but apparently "Alastair Cook is the second visiting batsman - after Everton Weekes - to score three consecutive centuries in three Tests on Indian soil."

Youngest ever to 7000 runs - better than Tendulkar - record 23rd Test century for England, 5 centuries in 5 games as skipper etc.

Unless he's unlucky with injury or illness he'll smash all the England batting records.

Remarkable stuff from Cook. He's really carrying the batting. Tremendous effort.

Never mind the cricket. David Lloyd has just admitted that he's moved to a new home in Yorkshire.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

End of Day 1 - England 199 for 5. A wobbly start, and Bell underwhelms yet again. We need a stubborn innings from Root and Prior tomorrow.

This might turn out to be a good score on a strange wicket. Plaudits to KP for his knock. Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel. Just stop. AT least Patel got the flick. Nowhere near the standard.

This might turn out to be a good score on a strange wicket. Plaudits to KP for his knock. Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel. Just stop. AT least Patel got the flick. Nowhere near the standard.

Don't worry, he'll score a beautiful century on a flat track in May and everything will be forgotten.

Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel.

14 runs in 5 innings. If they drop him, he can go home and spend time with his newborn, which would be a good thing for all concerned.

Good knock from Root, too, matching KP's score. And 56 for Swann. :)

India 60 for 2 now.

Come on Jimmy! India 4 down and still over 250 behind. This session could seal it if we can get one or two more...

The promoters must have been hoping Sachin would still be at the crease for tomorrow, to get the crowd numbers up.

The promoters must have been hoping Sachin would still be at the crease for tomorrow, to get the crowd numbers up.

Lots of glum faces in the crowd when he got out. I actually feel a bit sorry for him now. He's a legend, but his powers are on the wane. All the papers out there are gunning for him, which is a massive turnaround, and he looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Surely he can't have much time left now, especially if India don't win this game.

As for England, looking good again. Not a huge score, but batting seems difficult so it could be handy. If we can skittle them for 250 or under, we'll have a decent chance of wrapping up a win… assuming we don't get out for next to nothing second time round.