Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northern Sol

manchester rugby club 1960 - not a merger thread

154 posts in this topic

so we're down to one, sorry two including the rhinos, arguably the most successful one of the lot.

I don't like Crusaders as a name either whether London, Celtic or Thatto Heath.

tell that to the kids in local primary schools and hospitals when Ronnie The Rhino turns up

I know they like, I just don't.

far from it.

It was in the modern era.

Unless you count Huddersfield Barracudas but that got enough stick that it was changed.

It was in the modern era.

Unless you count Huddersfield Barracudas but that got enough stick that it was changed.

So Huddersfield Barrucudas was earlier, by what definition is it not therefore earlier and therefore Cougars was not the first.

Its not aimed at you.

So Huddersfield Barrucudas was earlier, by what definition is it not therefore earlier and therefore Cougars was not the first.

It was the first of the era that we were discussing.

Otherwise Barracudas got more flak.

Don't recall any protests at the time. ...but it was 52 years ago.There used to be a baseball ground on Bolton Road opposite Pendlebury market. In the early 60s used to watch Stretford Saints baseball in Longford Park.

Don't recall any protests at the time. ...but it was 52 years ago.There used to be a baseball ground on Bolton Road opposite Pendlebury market. In the early 60s used to watch Stretford Saints baseball in Longford Park.

I played against Stretford Saints many times,they were one of the best teams in England in the 60's.

Gus Risman played for the Salford baseball team.

Freddie Miller played for the Hull pro baseball team.

I agree. Why does arguably the biggest rugby club in the UK need a moniker like Warriors? Bath RU are simply called Bath Rugby, so why cant Wigan do the same? Btw my own team Leigh will always be "Leigh Rugby" rather than the awful Cent-ur-io-ons 4 syllable nightmare we are seemingly stuck with.

I also really dislike Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. FFS just drop the Wildcats. Two nicknames is wrong (Salford City Reds is also near as bad for the same reason). Huddersfields is also garbage for reasons pointed out by others

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.

I know not how to tell thee who I am.

My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself,

Because it is an enemy to thee.

Had I it written, I would tear the word.

presumably Kingston Rovers is wrong as well. Two names and the same number of syllables as Centurions.

No Hull KR is not wrong.

Any moniker added many many years after a club formed is faux and unecessary in my opinion. Hull KR have always been called that, as have Rochdale Hornets. Certainly not gimmicks.

Also I dont think "Rovers" sounds Americanised - it certainly sounds British and authentic.

Finally I would argue that "Kingston" does not count a third moniker as the city is called Kingston Upon Hull.

We seem obsesssed with ridiculous Americanised nicknames yet football has it spot on and does more than okay without them

has it occurred to you that it isn't for your benefi?

No Hull KR is not wrong.

Any moniker added many many years after a club formed is faux and unecessary in my opinion. Hull KR have always been called that, as have Rochdale Hornets. Certainly not gimmicks.

Also I dont think "Rovers" sounds Americanised - it certainly sounds British and authentic.

Finally I would argue that "Kingston" does not count a third moniker as the city is called Kingston Upon Hull.

We seem obsesssed with ridiculous Americanised nicknames yet football has it spot on and does more than okay without them

the people obsessed are the ones who are whingeing about them.

Hull FC are in Kingston upon Huill, but are not called Kingston upon Hull FC, anyway Hull KT should surely by your definition bw Kingston upon Hull Rovers.

isn't 'Hornets' americanised(whatever that means)?

what on earth do you mean by faux?

Here's some very old suffixes...

Excelsior, Rangers, Wanderers, Albion, Mountaineers, Recreation, Athletic, Albion, Trinity, Rifles, many church suffixes etc.

I have the impression that there was always a race to just have the name of the town/city as that may have been prestigious with other local clubs using suffixes to distinguish from the rest.

Excelsior, Rangers, Wanderers, Albion, Mountaineers, Recreation, Athletic, Albion, Trinity, Rifles, many church suffixes etc.

I have the impression that there was always a race to just have the name of the town/city as that may have been prestigious with other local clubs using suffixes to distinguish from the rest.

my granf dad played for purston white horse

The proposed Manchester RL side was planned for the White City Stadium - just up the road from Old Trafford if you're heading towards Manchester.

There were a few professional baseball leagues in the UK in the 1930's with quite a few teams in what is now Greater Manchester. Salford Reds were one of them - not sure about the 1950's, maybe they continued after the war as an amateur side or another team took on the same name. I think the 1930's Salford Reds played at the Willows (think I've got the info somewhere, will dig it out at some point),they may have been owned by the RL side.

I can confirm that the 1930's Salford Reds baseball club was owned by Salford RLFC and did play at the Willows. Several of the players were RL players and they drew crowds - at least in the first season of 1935 - over 3000. The semi-pro circuit lasted in England up until the outbreak of war, I'm not sure if Salford lasted to 1939 or not

Are you sure that's a wolf on the badge, JB? (assume you're referring to the grey on black background).

I'd have thought that was a griffin.

Never seen a hairy-nosed furry-eared griffin before

has it occurred to you that it isn't for your benefi?

I am well aware of it. I am allowed my own opinion though.

No, it is not. Names based on the colour of the shirt that the team wore e.g. tigers, wasps, harlequins, all blacks go back to the early 19th century in both codes of rugby and in soccer as well e.g. the hoops = QPR.

I don't remember any Warriors / Crusaders / Vikings / Braves in British sport until the Super League era.

That doesn't necessarily make them a bad thing but they are an import.

That's about the strength of it. The strongest club in the city usually grabbed the [City Name] Football Club tag and other clubs had to make do with the name of a district or add a moniker like Rovers / City / United / Hornets.

I agree. Why does arguably the biggest rugby club in the UK need a moniker like Warriors? Bath RU are simply called Bath Rugby, so why cant Wigan do the same?

Ironically Bath were Bath Football Club until the professional era but changed it as locals didn't understand the FC bit. Wigan were also FC until fairly recently,

just being pedantic tather than adding to the discussion (but hey, this is the internet!) but there's a football team in Northern Ireland called Crusaders (est.1898).

ps - whilst checking when they were formed I noted that they're nicknamed 'the hatchetmen'. A team from Belfast with a nickname like that, worrying ;-)

Ironically Bath were Bath Football Club until the professional era but changed it as locals didn't understand the FC bit. Wigan were also FC until fairly recently,

Northampton and, I think, Bristol did the same.

The Willows used to have a big sign saying Salford Football Club.

I am well aware of it. I am allowed my own opinion though.

you sure are

what is wrong with the rhinos?

it's a massive success as part of the club's commercial, marketing, public relations and community work.

what other option is there that would do a better job?

it isn't aimed at your sensibilities.

No, it is not. Names based on the colour of the shirt that the team wore e.g. tigers, wasps, harlequins, all blacks go back to the early 19th century in both codes of rugby and in soccer as well e.g. the hoops = QPR.

I don't remember any Warriors / Crusaders / Vikings / Braves in British sport until the Super League era.

That doesn't necessarily make them a bad thing but they are an import.

saracens

Workington zebras

Leicester Tigers

Hull Seahawks

Scarborough Pirates

and many more