Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

forming a new club?

45 posts in this topic

That was just a story, pal. ;)

So what you are saying is that if we had a decent ground, seats, toilets, catering facilities AND a team that is winning, then no one would come?

Now I know some would say that is what we had when we were at Boundary Park when Fordy was coach and we got to the Grand Final?

But people did come.

AND if we had won that day I'm sure more would have come.

Of course we can just say what's the point ???

And jack it all in.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Thomas Edison

Sadly, I think this will be end for me also. If I don't attend the club loses three fans, me, my Dad and my Grandson. I was already considering the situation this year, given that it will be £11 to watch little better than Conference standard.

The club has been run into the ground, and this is just a surrender by CH & co.

I am Oldham through and through. I do not want to watch Salford, or anything associated with them. Does CH not remember the protests when the Salford mergers were proposed at the start of superlague.

It may time time, but I would prefer to see an Oldham Club rebuilding and one day returning to superleague. I know some fans have said on the main forum thread that we are not interested in a return to SL, but in reality we all want to watch OUR team at the highest level.

Why link up with one of the weakest clubs who like ourselves have financial issues to solve.

The ling up system is an attempt to ressurect the mergers of a few years ago. If we have to go down that route why bnot link up with one of the stronger teams or is it the SL teams who decide who to link up with and we are the last two left.

As for the new coach. Yes he seems to have plenty of passion but so have all the previous coaches before him when they first started with the club.

We dont know how good or not these players are that are new to the club but we still lack some experienced players to help them.

In my opinion this will a hard division to get out of.

It will be interesting to see how good Oxford will be. Lets hope Benson does not spoil the party for us.

It is, and enjoyed the banter,debates and disagreements - something that makes our game standout from others.

Last year, the passion was dwlindling as was the drive to enjoy rugby league, but since the season has finished and you step back and look how the game is evolving - it's something I personally do not want to be involved in. To be involved in any sport, there has to be a goal at the end of it, whether it be survival, promotion or being crowned champions - and with promotion to SL being a lottery, and survival in SL not an option, the main goal for all clubs outside SL is financial survival - and without the prizes of promotion, there is no real glory, just a dead rubber.

It stems deeper than professional level, and I have said before. After Christmas, Oldham will have no paid personnel in post from the RFL developing the game within schools etc. The people who are currently in post have done a fanstastic job, and continue to do so despite the circumstances that will befall them. If the RFL cannot see that a town like Oldham need people like that in post, and continue to cost cut in areas of high development to help sustain the game in 'other' areas with no game history i.e. Birmingham, Coventry etc- then they will reap what they will sow. It's not just happening at Oldham, its happening at other towns steeped on history, and continued game growth. It really stinks.

Its not Just Oldham that will have no paid personnel, it is happening all over even in the midlands and its due to been in last quarter of the year for current sport england funding . Application is in with sport england for next 4 years worth of grants,so all depends what RL get this time around and if they get the same as last time expect those paid positions to reappear again in the new year

This link up may be the first between clubs to not have a player loan deal but more about Debt Management and sharing Lawyers and Solicitors.Our first name relations with Her Majestys tax office would be priceless to any business or sport organisation.

Of course we could flip this on it's head and look at it as Salford being our feeder club!?

Then once we've used them to get to our rightful place we can dump them!!!!

I don't care what others have said on other forums( Or is that Fora?) we have the potential to be BIG.

Leigh, Featherstone, Widnes and Castleford ar only as big as Royton or Shaw.

With regards to our low attendances............

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

Well put A.H.F :D

After reading the Joel Moon thread on the main forum I am beginning to wonder if the purpose of the link up with Salford is to enable them to borrow our fringe squad players as they don't seem to have many at the moment .

Right its simple, whatever happens with the Salford link up will be another excuse for so called ORLFC fans to have a go at the club,chairman,fanbase or whatever the dish of the day maybe. Lets not worry about the ground, the team or the club and concentrate on supporting the lads in red and white who hopefully as Mr Naylor says will sweat blood for the cause and get us into the Championship. i for one will be there no matter where we play, what strip we wear, or whoever is the chairman. Its about Oldham RLFC and not about personality clashes or rubbish stay away excuses. If you dont want to come its simple dont, i would rather have 300 fans behind the team than a 600 50/50 split about who is right or wrong. Support the club wholeheartedly or just dont bother posting the negative load of tosh that is on this board. One Club, One Heart, OTID. Seems to me that the politics of RL has taken over this board, remember it was only 1997 there wasnt even a ORLFC. Support the lads who have signed and are prepared to wear the famous Red and White of Oldham. Lets see how this link up will work, i wasnt too happy to hear about it but then Scott Naylor and his staff have handpicked a squad what THEY want, might be useful if we have injuries to borrow a few from Salford. We are Oldham always will be. Doesnt mean we are going to be City Reds MK2, So to put it bluntly, if you really are a true ORLFC fan then buy into what they are trying to do, embrace it and criticise at the end of this season, if you dont want to go/have a problem with the ground/ hate CH whatever just dont bother paying in. For the first time in a long time there is an air of optimism about the season and the changes that have been brought in, why destroy that on pointless tripe, oh and by the way im Taffy :)

Couldn't have put it better myself Roughyed34 ....I'll be 100%behind the team no matter what .

Right its simple, whatever happens with the Salford link up will be another excuse for so called ORLFC fans to have a go at the club,chairman,fanbase or whatever the dish of the day maybe. Lets not worry about the ground, the team or the club and concentrate on supporting the lads in red and white who hopefully as Mr Naylor says will sweat blood for the cause and get us into the Championship. i for one will be there no matter where we play, what strip we wear, or whoever is the chairman. Its about Oldham RLFC and not about personality clashes or rubbish stay away excuses. If you dont want to come its simple dont, i would rather have 300 fans behind the team than a 600 50/50 split about who is right or wrong. Support the club wholeheartedly or just dont bother posting the negative load of tosh that is on this board. One Club, One Heart, OTID. Seems to me that the politics of RL has taken over this board, remember it was only 1997 there wasnt even a ORLFC. Support the lads who have signed and are prepared to wear the famous Red and White of Oldham. Lets see how this link up will work, i wasnt too happy to hear about it but then Scott Naylor and his staff have handpicked a squad what THEY want, might be useful if we have injuries to borrow a few from Salford. We are Oldham always will be. Doesnt mean we are going to be City Reds MK2, So to put it bluntly, if you really are a true ORLFC fan then buy into what they are trying to do, embrace it and criticise at the end of this season, if you dont want to go/have a problem with the ground/ hate CH whatever just dont bother paying in. For the first time in a long time there is an air of optimism about the season and the changes that have been brought in, why destroy that on pointless tripe, oh and by the way im Taffy :)

You dont half waffle Taffy !!! :rolleyes:

its not "one club,one heart" though is it.....

it'll be " 2 clubs & 1big effing mess"

salford can bearly look after themselves at the moment....and ORLFC's name has been dragged through enough mud without being associated with another failing club!!!

Good luck Taffy

Couldn't have put it better myself Roughyed34 ....I'll be 100%behind the team no matter what .

Me too, well said Taffy.

apparently its going to be announced on tuesday that we're going to be "working closely" with salford......

a view from a salford fan taken from RLfans..

That is a wonderful piece of news, Oldham is still a hotbed of RL and we can only really gain from something like this. Does make you wonder on the logic though of forging these relationships but then causing a mass release of youngsters, surely to have kept the system that was in place last season and then selected random youngsters could go to feeder clubs to help them through injuries or to see if the kids are tough enough for fully fledged grown up rugby. Someone like Marriott would surely have been better kept on the books and loaned to Oldham for a season rather than letting him go.

still can't see any benefits for us!!

apparently its going to be announced on tuesday that we're going to be "working closely" with salford......

Work closely seems slightly different to be being a feeder club to me. We have worked closely with Leeds Rhinos before but not been a feeder club to them. Thinks it a case of wait and see, but personally, I'd still like to see us go it on our own.

"Work closely" is a PR phrase for feeder club.

I'm not so sure how these SL/CL relationships are going to work because I can see a conflict of interests.

One thing is for certain,out of the raffle for SL clubs we missed out on the bottles of champagne and ended up with the tin of roses.

Wonder if we might have been better off with Widnes?