Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

138 posts in this topic

I know it puts me out on a limb but I'd be happy to remove the shades of grey. Make it an automatic assumption that if you hit the head what just happened was illegal and a straight red. Only if the refs and touch judges can be 100% sure it wasn't deliberate (i.e. if the player did genuinely fall) then it's a mere sin-bin.

As for the shoulder charge: tackle without using your arms and you've broken the rules.

Now, any more shades of grey I need to work through?

I believe the shoulder charge should be banned; it is dangerous, has little skill attached to it and is a very small and insignificant part of the game apart from greater liklihood of injury.

Though as for "tackling without using arms" this will still be open to interpretation proably as much as illegal high tackles are.

RL will end up like soccer.

You mean largely banishing thuggish behaviour, with a greater emphasis on skills?

I know it puts me out on a limb but I'd be happy to remove the shades of grey. Make it an automatic assumption that if you hit the head what just happened was illegal and a straight red. Only if the refs and touch judges can be 100% sure it wasn't deliberate (i.e. if the player did genuinely fall) then it's a mere sin-bin.

Thats already the case.

Shoulder charges that hit the head are already illegal.

Any contact with the head is already illegal.

A straight red is too harsh for some tackles and is warranted for others. It can never be black and white.

Whilst I enjoy a legal shoulder-charge - I don;t have to be on the end of them!

If the experts (players, coaches etc) are recommending that these be banned (and they have some science behind the decision) then who am I to argue?

define "shoulder charge" ??

shoulder-charge-310812.jpg

that type of shoulder charge,the type that you use when trying to break down a door,should be banned...not got a problem in that..

but this type of hit,by simon dwyer on JWH

art-waerea_hargreaves-620x349.jpg

dwyer is square on,arms out ready to "action the tackle"..then boom......perfectly fine big hit...imo....

I'd say ban the high tackle in the first pic and keep the perfectly fine tackle in the second. Oh wait, that's how it already works?

I'd say ban the high tackle in the first pic and keep the perfectly fine tackle in the second. Oh wait, that's how it already works?

Exactly. Head high shot is illegal. Done.

aye........but both have used the shoulder...and both tackles knocked the other guy out.....so what have the ARLC outlawed?? lol

RL has always moved to protect players - this is just another step on that path.

They are a tiny and dangerous part of the game so its no loss to see them gone IMO.

aye........but both have used the shoulder...and both tackles knocked the other guy out.....so what have the ARLC outlawed?? lol

If they've outlawed nothing why all the rage from English fans about how the international rules are now different?

If they've outlawed nothing why all the rage from English fans about how the international rules are now different?

My assumption is that the rule would now be more like RU's.

I'm gutted I love a good shoulder charge.

My two favourite things are:

1. A good shoulder charge;

2. Done by a GB player on an Aussie or Kiwi.

I may never witness this again.

I agree with the other posters on the need to have the RLIF be the authority to institute rules changes.

The rights and wrongs of shoulder charges are irrelevant to this point. If the Aussies wanted it outlawed they should have had to bring it before the RLIF rules committee and have it voted on and passed or not.

They should not be allowed to unilaterly change the rules and expect the rest of the world to follow suit.

Suppose they wanted to change to a 5 tackle game or a 7 tackle game or go to 12 players. These would be changes that would fundamentally change the character of the game and they think they can do this on their own without the rest of the RL world having an input.

This problem has been festering for some time and previous anomalies taken up soley by the Australians were interchange rules, two referees and the corner flag in bounds matter.

The games powers, mostly Aus, NZ and England need to confer and give these rule changing decisions to the RLIF and decide on the procedures for any implementation of suggested changes.

The present situation is ludicrous, we will end up with fundamentally different games in different countries if nothing is done. The Australians might be the best, biggest and richest RL country in the world but they are not the sole arbiters for rule changes. There must be world wide conformity on rules/laws and the RLIF is the obvious choice to be the co ordinating body. The arrogance of the Australian leadership thinking they speak for the world game must be curbed or the game will end up as an international laughing stock.

Rugby union already have this in place I think the rule says if you dont attempt to rap ur arms around the player then its classed as a shoulder charge, didnt sonny bill get sin binned in his 1st union game for this offence?

As long as it doesn't make contact with the head there isn't anything wrong with it.

I completely agree with Keithley about the rule changes.

As far as shoulder charges go, I love them. They are a brilliant aspect of the game that offers as much excitement as a brilliant step or a sprint race down the wing, you can't argue with the fact that a big shoulder charge (which nearly all big hits are, right?) looks amazing on highlight reels and gives our game a truly gladiatorial feel that you just don't get from other sports.

It should be irrelevant weather high tackles are committed by shoulder or arm, either way shows a lack of discipline or poor technique.

RL is always going to be a more dangerous game to play than most, just because of its physical nature. If shoulder charges add a noticeable increase in danger on top of everything the game already throws at players, then there is certainly an issue to discuss.

Quick scan of Twitter suggests that the players are vehemently against this. Let's hope the RFL stay strong and this nonsense is quickly reversed by the Aussies.

Quick scan of Twitter suggests that the players are vehemently against this. Let's hope the RFL stay strong and this nonsense is quickly reversed by the Aussies.

No, we'll follow suit, just like the nonsense with the corner flags

The point is though it shouldn't be Australia's call to make.

Set of suits who are clueless and have no idea make yet another dumb decision! There is nothing wrong with a legal Shoulder charge. Well done in upsetting a large majority of fans, players and coaches. Instead of banning the shoulder charge ban grapple tackles, headlocks and other wrestling moves which are just as dangerous if not more so. Rugby League used to be known as the toughest team game in the world-now its just gone soft and the over reaction by the clowns in suits will see it weaken against AFL in Australia. And what a joke the game is when we have so many different rules and interpretation and the RLIF do nothing and any rule changes are made by domestic representatives and not the International Federation.

It's never been the same since the stopped players being able to kick an opponents shins.

I thought the definition of a shoulder charge was two players running in the same direction were allowed to use their shoulders to barge the other player off his running line?

I can understand that using the shoulder when running in the opposite direction can cause problems, but surely we lose something from the game if the shoulder barge is outlawed.

I'm not too au fait with association football rules these days but when I played in the 60's it was still allowed in soccer. Is it still?