Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

138 posts in this topic

I see, my bad.

No worries.

The problem seems to be mentality. A few 'legal' charges knock players out but people in fighting sports get knocked out all the time. Modern sports medics these days are fantastic and a credit to their profession, however I'd say if a team doctor does not retire a K.O.'d player for at least 10 - 15 to fully ensure they're not concusded, I'd fine the club for lack of duty of care. Actual injuries appear to occur from recklessness and thuggery. I appears to be a mentality thing as we see far fewest 'Big Hits' in SL and fewer injuries from the reckless ones.

I like watching Sam Burgess 'Big Hits' on YouTube but I think his swinging the arm up to knock the opposing player further back seems pretty reckless, as it could contact with the head, as Alibert mistakenly though Meli's 'Big Hit' had done the season just gone.

Sonny bill was sin binned on debut for this trademark tackle n now were banning it aswel, im against the ban!

About 90% of these tackles will not be aloud next year and off the top of my head none of these lead to injury, I think Marcus Bia was the only one that didnt get straight up n play the ball n he was fine ok shacken but fine.

I counted 15 tackles here that would be banned next year n 1 of them was an attacker shoulder charging the defender (Ingles on Sandow)

Something I never liked with shoulder charges in the NRL (seeing as they're no longer legal I'll use the past tense) was the afters, no need for it. What I mean by that was; flopping/diving with all their weight on to the player/putting the shoulder into them when they're on the floor, just because the tackle wasn't't complete, like Sandow did in his 'best' shoulder charge. Plus a few players and their teammates did in the best of 2012 compilation above.

The ARLC have gone way over the top with this and have managed to alienate the fans, players and coaches. Nobody wants to see players knocked out- but to ban ALL shoulder charges is way over the top. The ARLC was supposed to unite the game not divide it and weaken it!

The ARLC was supposed to unite the game not divide it and weaken it!

They have united the game. Everyone is now united against the ARLC!

They have united the game. Everyone is now united against the ARLC!

Haha. Good point.

Do the RLIF have any jurisdiction when it comes to laws the ARLC or the RFL pass?

I don t think so. They are a toothless tiger but they should have the final say and a veto to boot on all law changes proposed by any national league. The laws need to be co ordinated world wide and should not be changed unilateraly at the wish of any one national body, usually the AUSTRALIANS.