Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Willow

Joel Moon (merged threads)

80 posts in this topic

All I know about Peel is whatever is in the public domain. John Whittaker has said in the past that getting involved with night clubs and sports clubs isn't good business.

The involvement of Peel in any sporting club will be because it suits their business needs, not because they are fans of Salford or RL. I'll be surprised if they are involved 5 years from now.

It isn't anything dodgy about Peel but Whittaker isn't a fool and everyone knows there is no money in sport for owners.

If they can bring some changes in attitude and a more professional set up then it's worth it for however long they choose to be involved.

Thanks Red....

If Peel are indeed taking over the club, I would view this as a defensive play on their part to protect their stadium asset.

They need to guarantee a tenant for the long haul otherwise Barton stadium risks becoming a white elephant. Given the likelihood that without fresh investment the Reds will go to the wall (and you would then have to question the affordability of such a stadium for any future Salford club) and no-one anywhere trusts Sale Sharks to honour commitments, it seems a fairly safe hedge for Peel to buy a sports team to play in a facility in which Peel has a sizable investment.

Whatever mis-givings some might have about Peel, let's be thankful that someone at Peel thinks buying into RL a better option than buying into RU. Before anyone mentions price, I don't think it simply a question of it being cheaper to buy into RL as last time I looked, Kennedy is looking to offload the Sharks for a nominal sum. Maybe they are genuinely RL fans, or maybe they just see it a more economically viable long term option given the lower salary cap and squad sizes in RL compared to the requirements for RU.

Whatever the case, right now it is better than seeing the Reds fold.

Very interesting thoughts thank you.

I think a few SL clubs will limp along badly underfunded this next 2 years but a reduced SL 2012 with Toulouse keen to join may see anyone who can't afford to be there being booted out and quite right too. If Salford limp along without much investment then the rent may get paid, but the fans may drift away and players won't want to come.

Propping a club up to get it's rent money cannot be the basis for a Superleague club, and should not be allowed to happen. Licenses AFAIK can be revoked mid term and Peel should show their hand to the committee, get ready Featherstone!

Very interesting thoughts thank you.

I think a few SL clubs will limp along badly underfunded this next 2 years but a reduced SL 2012 with Toulouse keen to join may see anyone who can't afford to be there being booted out and quite right too. If Salford limp along without much investment then the rent may get paid, but the fans may drift away and players won't want to come.

Propping a club up to get it's rent money cannot be the basis for a Superleague club, and should not be allowed to happen. Licenses AFAIK can be revoked mid term and Peel should show their hand to the committee, get ready Featherstone!

I don't think Peel would be happy to see their new asset simply muddling by to collect the quarterly rent cheque. They will want bums on seats which involves a proper marketing strategy aligned with a performing team, preferably a team for the most part composed of local (ish) players.

Whatever your personal mis-givings about the way they have bought up much of the North West, the fact remains that Peel is a very successful business and they would be looking to make a success of the Reds, of that I am certain. Let's face it, we all know what needs doing at the club, it simply requires an injection of both good business management and funds, and Peel are not short of money.

I can't see them taking over the club without some assurances from the RFL about Salford's license for the remainder of the current license period. I might not be popular saying it, but provided the take over goes ahead, the teams I see really at risk are Cas and HKR.

One thing on Peel - they have previously sponsored both Warrington and Widnes as well as Salford - maybe they are just interested in the RL and community side of things? Or is that wishful thinking?

I don't think Peel would be happy to see their new asset simply muddling by to collect the quarterly rent cheque.

Whatever your personal mis-givings about the way they have bought up much of the North West, the fact remains that Peel is a very successful business and they would be looking to make a success of the Reds, of that I am certain.

I can't see them taking over the club without some assurances from the RFL about Salford's license for the remainder of the current license period. I might not be popular saying it, but provided the take over goes ahead, the teams I see really at risk are Cas and HKR.

I think Red had the misgivings that led to my comments and I take yours on board. I seriously hope that Salford get the full monty of investment from Peel. The size of the place they are providing Superleague to has the potential, but it does need a lot of investment.

Hopefully they will shower the club in riches for years to come!!!!!

As for your "popularity" in terms of who you think may end up at risk I hope you will join me in valuing straight and honest talking over popularity with any mean minded people who don't like what we say.

HKR are indeed at risk as Mr. Hudgell withdraws his annual £500K subsidy and Hull FC look to dominate that City.

Cas are indeed at risk as their performances drop, players sold and crisis meetings are held apealing to skint anyway fans.

If the RFL have their Mo Lyndsay heads on they may look forward to awarding Hull and Wakefield a free run of their areas 2015 onwards. two clubs in the same area and all that.

Salford are different in that respect. let's hope the early seventies come back for them via Peel.....