Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat!

34 posts in this topic

We're a bit strange as we never do the family thing at Christmas. With both of us being exiled southerners, we pop down before or after Christas and new year and spend the Christmas period up north with friends. Should be a good 'un this year, our mates who are newly married and in their new home are cooking for around 16 then its Queens speech, a snooze and a bond film and its up the M61 for a party in Preston.

My wife and her two sisters used to take it in turns cooking for as many as sixteen on Christmas Day, resulting in two sessions. Having done this for thirty years, it was decided it was getting too much so we just meet up after dinner. As far as the entertainment is concerned, it's been cluedo every Christmas. :rolleyes:

Although I find it difficult to enjoy this time of the year, we do have recently born Jessica on board, our very first grandchild -and she has certainly stole my heart. I just might take her out in her pram on Christmas Day.

If anyone is near Oxford in the period close to Christmas, they could do worse than go into the market in the city centre and see the stall that, in addition to turkey, pork etc, has every type of game meat and game bird hung up. It is a sight to remember.

This will be the first Christmas in many years that we'll be at the old family home again - can't wait! :)

Christmas day for us is the four of us together then visit both sets of parents on Boxing day.

Second Christmas since my father in law died, he went on Dec 19th last year. The first one was truly awful as he always did the christmas dinner while we sat round drinking. Hopefully this year will be a bit better.

If anyone is near Oxford in the period close to Christmas, they could do worse than go into the market in the city centre and see the stall that, in addition to turkey, pork etc, has every type of game meat and game bird hung up. It is a sight to remember.

Ooh I might get the bus in and have a look :)

Same as usual. Christmas dinner (no turkey in sight) on the night of the 24th at the mother-in-law's.

Nothing on the 25th, but we'll go down the beach if it's sunny. It was last year.

Same as usual. Christmas dinner (no turkey in sight) on the night of the 24th at the mother-in-law's.

Nothing on the 25th, but we'll go down the beach if it's sunny. It was last year.

Don't forget the sun tan lotion and wellies just in case. :D

Christmas is not just for kids.

It is one of my favourite times of the year, the atmosphere around town, the Christmas markets, the smells of the food and mulled wine, the decorations going up, spending a few days visiting family, eating and drinking to excess and so on.

Recently my nan passed away and my sister has been diagnosed with cancer (she'll be having radiotherapy over the Christmas period) and whilst there will no doubt be some sad times, it has also made us closer as a family and I'm sure that Christmas will be treated as a positive time for us to appreciate what we have got.

Also, on what other day of the year can you have champagne at Breakfast?