Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShotgunGold

Do you feel any allegiances towards County?

81 posts in this topic

That is because Salford, as it was a county borough, was, in effect, a county in terms of local government services (including civil registration). For all other purposes - ceremonial, lieutenancy, shrievalty, ALLEGIANCE! - Salford was in Lancashire at that time.

Wonderful words! "Shrievalty" and "Allegiance"! And Bleep's point is correct - no amount of Boundary Commission tinkering can change the fact that when he was born, he was born in Salford, which was in Lancashire. Whether it is now or not is irrelevant.

Aren't you a citizen of a city and a national of a country?

I'm just outside the boundary of the city of Perth. I'm a citizen of Scotland and the UK.

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

Not sure how a bit inclement weather can make you develop an, entirely merited, inferiority complex towards your neighbour immediately to the east.

Like many Anglo-Saxon myths, " probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s"! :D

Most of the UK's pageantry and ancient tradition can be blamed on Prince Albert, I believe.

The very idea of a unified Scottish people starts just before then.

Most of the UK's pageantry and ancient tradition can be blamed on Prince Albert, I believe.

The very idea of a unified Scottish people starts just before then.

Nah, we were still 'North British' at that time. :rolleyes:

Nah, we were still 'North British' at that time. :rolleyes:

Nah, just busy killing each other at Culloden.

im yorkshire first and formost and i suppose that makes me english but its only yorkshire i feel any aligance to in my heart.

my son and his wife who had been living in the usa for 3 years came back to yorkshire so my grandson could be born in yorkshire and his wife loves the county so much they have moved here back for good now..

after all theres only 3 kinds of people in the world those born in yorkshire, those that wish they were born in yorkshire and those that dont count.

its also a fact that if hitler had come to yorkshire instead of liverpool there would have been no 2nd world war as he would have soon realised there was already a master race there called yorkshire folk

im yorkshire first and formost and i suppose that makes me english but its only yorkshire i feel any aligance to in my heart.

my son and his wife who had been living in the usa for 3 years came back to yorkshire so my grandson could be born in yorkshire and his wife loves the county so much they have moved here back for good now..

after all theres only 3 kinds of people in the world those born in yorkshire, those that wish they were born in yorkshire and those that dont count.

its also a fact that if hitler had come to yorkshire instead of liverpool there would have been no 2nd world war as he would have soon realised there was already a master race there called yorkshire folk

Looks like the discussion endeth there folks.

But their spelling (they're not there) and lack of appropriate capital letters proves otherwise.

People often move away from Yorkshire and then move back because the modern world scares them :P

People often move away from Yorkshire and then move back because the modern world scares them :P

As my kids say "Epic Fail" ;)

who could possibly accuse Yarksire folk of being arrogant and introspective? :rolleyes:

And people say education standards have declined and grammar and spelling ain't wot it waz.

I have heard it said "Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong i'th arm, weak i'th head"

I've also heard it said that they Yorkshiremen's motto is , ‘Hear all, see all, say now't, tak' all, keep all, gie now't, and if tha ever does ow't for now't do it for thysen.’

Not true I'm sure.

Anyway , counties past present and future are merely administrative constructs designed to make running an area more convenient for whoever was, is or will be in charge. So no, no loyalty.

who could possibly accuse Yarksire folk of being arrogant and introspective? :rolleyes:

It's YORKSHIRE,there is no A in it,and even when it's pronounced it doesn't sound like an A, :rolleyes::P

And a previous poster complained education standards slipping,they certainly have on the cold, wet,miserable side of the Pennines(that's Lancashire by the way).

All good fun.

It said on the news this morning that the M62 in the Leeds Bradford conurbation is the busiest road in Britain.

I reckon the congestion problem could be solved by limiting the amount of outsiders desperately trying to get here every day.

Of course, it could be argued that the traffic might include people trying to get out. But that theory can be readily discounted because, when you think about it, there's really not many other places worth going to.

;):D

Says the only man from Gloucestershire without a pudding-basin haircut.

And a previous poster complained education standards slipping,they certainly have on the cold, wet,miserable side of the Pennines(that's Lancashire by the way).

All good fun.

My observation was based upon deducing the poster's age rather than his geographic origin. I'm a very proud Yorkshireman who's sure that education standards have risen dramatically in all English counties.

My observation was based upon deducing the poster's age rather than his geographic origin. I'm a very proud Yorkshireman who's sure that education standards have risen dramatically in all English counties.

Nice save.

Nah, just busy killing each other at Culloden.

Hah! Yes, North Britain, led by an effeminate Italian-Polish-Northbrit, against a combined North/South Britain squad - with the customary atrocities for afters...

Hah! Yes, North Britain, led by an effeminate Italian-Polish-Northbrit, against a combined North/South Britain squad - with the customary atrocities for afters...

Kilts for goalposts ...

And history's written by the winners.

Says the only man from Gloucestershire without a pudding-basin haircut.

Being a mathematician he has a parabola haircut.

And history's written by the winners.

Listen, the history of season '45/46 has been written (and re-written) so many times no one has a clue what the #### was going on. The only certain thing was that the far-northern counties had a great regular season, but got absolutely stuffed in the play-offs.