Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShotgunGold

Do you feel any allegiances towards County?

81 posts in this topic

Like a lot of misty-eyed celticism the romance for it probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s.

Like the kilt, invented by an English fella in the 18th century.

Must be comforting for Lancastrians to know that they are hemmed in by the White Rose.

;):D

If it's not from Yorkshire,it's not worth knowing about :ph34r:

Roses!! Roses?? They are Parnassus Flowers, nowt so common as roses please.

The flag of somewhere that existed between 1974 and 1996 is unlikely to linger too long in the mind.

I'll be accused of getting into pedant mode again, but Gwent still exists.

I'll be accused of getting into pedant mode again, but Gwent still exists.

As anything other than a 'ceremonial county' or whatever they're called?

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

And I don't like it!

Its Lancashire day today apparently, still awaiting confirmation if its going to be celebrated in "Greater Manchester"!

I was born in Salford, Lancashire*, grew up in Greater Manchester, spent most of my working life in Middlesex, and now live in EAST Sussex.

*Salford was in Lancashire up until Gtr M/cr was introduced, I still put it on official forms when it asks for my Place of Birth, & got a nasty letter back from Passport Agency when I renewed last, I wrote back to them and informed them in words of few letters that when I was born (50 years ago) Salford WAS still in Lancashire.

I just hope they don't want to start another war with West Mercia.

Hardly, the Welshmen who fought at Rorkes Drift were, part of the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment. It later changed its name to the South Wales Borderers.

Besides, Glamorgan's best cricket captain was Ossie Wheatley, who came from Warwickshire. Not that he ever went back, obviously.

Hardly, the Welshmen who fought at Rorkes Drift were, part of the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment. It later changed its name to the South Wales Borderers.

Besides, Glamorgan's best cricket captain was Ossie Wheatley, who came from Warwickshire. Not that he ever went back, obviously.

Glamorgan is not Gwent. The South Wales Borderers called Brecon home. Brecon is not in Gwent.

West Mercia does not include Warwickshire.

Glamorgan is not Gwent. The South Wales Borderers called Brecon home. Brecon is not in Gwent.

West Mercia does not include Warwickshire.

The South Wales Borderers recruiting office was in Newport.

The overwhelming majority of the soldiers came from the valleys of Gwent and Glamorgan. If they had recruited from Brecon, Merioneth and Radnor, they probaby wouldn't even have enough men to half-occupy the barracks there, let alone do their other duties.

Glamorgan CCC represents all of Welsh cricket.

Offa's Dyke was built by the King of Mercia whose lands included the current area of Warwickshire. He wasn't just the King of West Mercia.

Oh, and

'Yeah whatever'

Not only Welsh, they included a Gloucester man, Pvt Henry Hook who won a VC are Rorkes Drift and poorly portrayed in the film (he was not a drunkard).

Not only Welsh, they included a Gloucester man, Pvt Henry Hook who won a VC are Rorkes Drift and poorly portrayed in the film (he was not a drunkard).

Though brilliantly played by Richard Booth in the film.

Look here you: -

- every top notch action film needs a character who's a rogue that achieves redemption.

- Zulu was produced by Stanley Baker who was from Ferndale. He knew that all Welshmen are fundamentally nice and, as he will have supported Pontypridd, he was never going to pass up the golden opportunity to make the Gloucester man look bad.

Though brilliantly played by Richard Booth in the film.

Look here you: -

- every top notch action film needs a character who's a rogue that achieves redemption.

- Zulu was produced by Stanley Baker who was from Ferndale. He knew that all Welshmen are fundamentally nice and, as he will have supported Pontypridd, he was never going to pass up the golden opportunity to make the Gloucester man look bad.

:D

Richard Booth's Gloucester accent sounded very much like a cockney though :angry:

Bit confusing in Cumbria. This was the flag of Cumberland

cumberland2-e1278327645351.gif

When the counties were messed about with in the seventies, the Cumbria County Council produced this flag for Cumbria

150px-County_Flag_of_Cumbria.svg.png

But I've never seen it flown, so not quite sure what the county flag is now.

As for Hertfordshire, where I live now, I often wondered why they had waves in the background, as we are a fair bit off the sea.

Then I found out it represented the 'eight mighty rivers' that flow through the county.

herts.png

As for feeling alegiance to one county or another, for some reason that I can't put into words I am fiercely proud and protective towards my county of birth, Cumbria, but feel little towards the county that I moved to, Herts, and have lived in for most of my life (but to make it even more weird, I don't think I would move back up to Cumbria and leave the life I have down here in Hertfordshire.)

Top flag is Cumbria and number 13 on the original list is them farm folk from down the lakes,Westmorland.

The old Cumberland flag (not sure how old) was

gb-e-cumb.gif

Top flag is Cumbria and number 13 on the original list is them farm folk from down the lakes,Westmorland.

The old Cumberland flag (not sure how old) was

gb-e-cumb.gif

Has a Scottish/Shetland and Greek feel to it - and much better than the more modern designs.

Like the kilt, invented by an English fella in the 18th century.

Like many Anglo-Saxon myths, " probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s"! :D

As anything other than a 'ceremonial county' or whatever they're called?

The Welsh counties are "preserved" for ceremonial/lieutenancy/shrievalty purposes, but isn't this really what counties are for (as opposed to acting as one basis for local administration)?.

I love flags, especially old ones

Has anyone got a link of where to find that map of the UK that had John Bull as England and a very tartan, Scottish looking Scot as Scotland etc, please?

It isn't really for me, as a citizen of Scotland

Aren't you a citizen of a city and a national of a country?

(Sorry, I thought Id start early before the usual hair splitting, "actually, Great Britain includes the archipelligo of the Scilly Isles but not the crown dependancy of Rockall" etc and seeing as there is no Isle of Man on the map, beautiful though it is)

I was born in Salford, Lancashire*, grew up in Greater Manchester, spent most of my working life in Middlesex, and now live in EAST Sussex.

*Salford was in Lancashire up until Gtr M/cr was introduced, I still put it on official forms when it asks for my Place of Birth, & got a nasty letter back from Passport Agency when I renewed last, I wrote back to them and informed them in words of few letters that when I was born (50 years ago) Salford WAS still in Lancashire.

That was what I thought, too. I still do, but I've checked my birth certificate and it states "Birth in the Sub-District of SALFORD WEST in the COUNTY BOROUGH OF SALFORD", with no mention at all of Lancashire anywhere on the document. (Note: The capitalised words are stamped onto the form, the others are pre-printed.) I feel strangely disappointed now. I AM A LANCASTRIAN!

That was what I thought, too. I still do, but I've checked my birth certificate and it states "Birth in the Sub-District of SALFORD WEST in the COUNTY BOROUGH OF SALFORD", with no mention at all of Lancashire anywhere on the document. (Note: The capitalised words are stamped onto the form, the others are pre-printed.) I feel strangely disappointed now. I AM A LANCASTRIAN!

That is because Salford, as it was a county borough, was, in effect, a county in terms of local government services (including civil registration). For all other purposes - ceremonial, lieutenancy, shrievalty, ALLEGIANCE! - Salford was in Lancashire at that time.