Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

Who would have thought it in professional rugby league?

26 posts in this topic

A quick look at the start of next year's championship 1 fixture list:

Round 1

Gloucestershire All Golds v Oxford

London Skolars v Hemel Stags

Oldham v Rochdale Hornets

South Wales Scorpions v North Wales Crusaders

Bye: Gateshead Thunder.

Aye. You'd've tought they could've found another club to give 'em a game. Leagues really should always have an even number of teams.

Next season they are planning on having Coventry added. They were messed up this year with Northampton s late withdrawal. I actually almost frogot about Gateshead. they have been doing some recruiting. They might be a dark horse contender.

Can't wait for the South v North Wales game at the Gnoll on easter monday, last years game was superb and it will also be shown on premier sports. Should be a big crowd they are advertising it as a double header along with the Neath RFC v Aberavon RFC 15 code game on the same weekend at the ground cant wait.

Aye. You'd've tought they could've found another club to give 'em a game. Leagues really should always have an even number of teams.

Which other club could they have found?

My money is on 5 of those sides pulling out or folding within 2 years

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt first. Or more accurately lets hope they get the support they need from the RFL.

I'll take that bet.

Bit harsh on Oldham, there...

Which other club could they have found?

It was a not entirely serious point in reply to GJ's similarly unserious comment.

But since you ask, the 10th team was obviously Northampton. Maybe in the future though, we could expand two by two to prevent the need for byes.

Great to see Hemel get to this level. Founded in 1981, it's been a long time coming and good luck to them, but as Oxford are linked to the mighty Trin, I guess they ought to be my team at that level - even if our lass hates Oxford because of the Darryl Griffin connection.

Great to see Hemel get to this level. Founded in 1981, it's been a long time coming and good luck to them, but as Oxford are linked to the mighty Trin, I guess they ought to be my team at that level - even if our lass hates Oxford because of the Darryl Griffin connection.

I can honestly say that I support them all! Hornets as my first club, I used to watch Oldham occasionally, and all the others as expansion clubs.

... as Oxford are linked to the mighty Trin, I guess they ought to be my team at that level - even if our lass hates Oxford because of the Darryl Griffin connection.

My better half isn't overly interested in RL, until yesterday when I mentioned going to Oxford next season. She went to Cambridge and has an incandescent hatred for anything Dark Blue. When I told her they play at the University Rugby ground, she decided that they are the team she hates :lol:

As her folks live in the South, I suggested we make a bit of a weekend of it next year. She agreed on the proviso that we both wear our Cambridge jerseys (she has a varisty *nion jersey, I have its League counterpart) just to wind up the locals.

But since you ask, the 10th team was obviously Northampton. Maybe in the future though, we could expand two by two to prevent the need for byes.

The Bye has its fans, you know. Get rid of it, and they'll march in the streets.

Byes have there uses. It gives players chance to recover in mid-season.

Although first week is unlucky. Byes have worked in Australia for years successfully.

As long as it isn't preceeded by a couple of blank weekends as happens in this division a bit too frequently.

Starting with local matches (potentially evenly matched as well) is exactly what I would have done.

The new clubs need to hit the ground running in terms of publicity and this helps a lot in that.

I'll take that bet.

Come back in 2 seasons then with your tenner

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.

Didn't even realise that about Yorkshire.

It's this division that's keeping my thoughts positive on RL after mine and other clubs financial worries in SL over recent years.

In the early years of the Northern Union there was a professional Lancashire Senior Competition with no Yorkshire clubs in (though one year it had Hull KR for some bizarre reason). Oxford have no juniors and the open age side nearly collapsed in 2011 but the new club seem well run.