Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karen88

salfurd Roughyeds

100 posts in this topic

What are the actual negatives people are seeing in this deal?

Salford are not a great SL team so that’s a real negative.

Team could be disrupted by up to 6 players coming in and out of the squad. Not great but any different to the loans from Leeds?

What are the others? (real, not mythical feelings).

What are the actual negatives people are seeing in this deal?

Salford are not a great SL team so that’s a real negative.

Team could be disrupted by up to 6 players coming in and out of the squad. Not great but any different to the loans from Leeds?

What are the others? (real, not mythical feelings).

Loss of identity.

Potential to lose top performers in the other direction.

Restriction of pathway for Oldham junior players.

Absolutely no chance of ever returning to SL.

I am sure there are more and will post them when I think of them.

There is too much negativity here!

Why not wait and see how everything pans out before over-reacting. We all knew it was on the cards and we can't afford to be left behind and after all, none of the 'secret millionaires' on here, have come forward with an offer of help to the Club in any way. In an ideal world none of us would want this sort of arrangement, but an deal world it is not, so we have to accept change and see how things go next season.

How are other C1 clubs/fans responding to link ups? What if it had been a top 4 club?

There is too much negativity here!

Why not wait and see how everything pans out before over-reacting. We all knew it was on the cards and we can't afford to be left behind and after all, none of the 'secret millionaires' on here, have come forward with an offer of help to the Club in any way. In an ideal world none of us would want this sort of arrangement, but an deal world it is not, so we have to accept change and see how things go next season.

That's where you are wrong Logic, we don't have to accept it.

1. Loss of identity.

2. Potential to lose top performers in the other direction.

3. Restriction of pathway for Oldham junior players.

4. Absolutely no chance of ever returning to SL.

1. You are still Oldham, you will be allowed to play one more loan player than you were allowed to play last year. One.

2. That happened anyway. The best players will always end up in SuperLeague.

3. The pathway for young Oldham players is still there, and now goes all the way to the top.

4. With respect, did they ever have a chance of returning to SuperLeague?

1. You are still Oldham, you will be allowed to play one more loan player than you were allowed to play last year. One.

2. That happened anyway. The best players will always end up in SuperLeague.

3. The pathway for young Oldham players is still there, and now goes all the way to the top.

4. With respect, did they ever have a chance of returning to SuperLeague?

Agree with 1-3.

4 - no reason why we can't. (no reason that can't be overcome, yes massive hurdles but achievable, just).

Agree with 1-3.

4 - no reason why we can't. (no reason that can't be overcome, yes massive hurdles but achievable, just).

Oh I absolutely agree with you mate, and whats wrong with Salford helping you along the way for a few years? Say at least until Whitebank is complete...?

These partnerships won't be around forever.

Gav,you seem to know more about the arrangement between us and Salford :maybe what you are saying relates to some standard agreement,but our owner`s prefernce is to keep schtum .

For me it IS the end of Oldham as an autonomous club.Maybe,as someone else has said,in the end,CH had no chice.But 4 things stink:

1)CH got us in this position by keeping hold of Benson years too long.

2)He`s `done the deal` bit-by-bit without the balls to give a full picture - please dont tell me he had to keep it scret for ``reasons of confidentiality``.Choose not to believe it.

3)I bet he`s keeping his `job` with all his T & C`s ,ie money, but ok as it`s his club.

4)Both clubs are financially in the mire:how the h**l can we afford a FT coach and a (presumably) FT assistant coach,plus what CH takes out oas income or as expenses.Any money betting on some inducement cash for the RFL? Supposition.

Like many others,I`ve supported the Club for nigh on 50 years now.I`ll go but be very selective about my matches-yes,I`ll see how it pans out but for 2014 season.A real lesson on how to raise expectations (eg Scott`s letter) and then knock them dowm

Gav,you seem to know more about the arrangement between us and Salford :maybe what you are saying relates to some standard agreement,but our owner`s prefernce is to keep schtum .

For me it IS the end of Oldham as an autonomous club.Maybe,as someone else has said,in the end,CH had no chice.But 4 things stink:

1)CH got us in this position by keeping hold of Benson years too long.

2)He`s `done the deal` bit-by-bit without the balls to give a full picture - please dont tell me he had to keep it scret for ``reasons of confidentiality``.Choose not to believe it.

3)I bet he`s keeping his `job` with all his T & C`s ,ie money, but ok as it`s his club.

4)Both clubs are financially in the mire:how the h**l can we afford a FT coach and a (presumably) FT assistant coach,plus what CH takes out oas income or as expenses.Any money betting on some inducement cash for the RFL? Supposition.

Like many others,I`ve supported the Club for nigh on 50 years now.I`ll go but be very selective about my matches-yes,I`ll see how it pans out but for 2014 season.A real lesson on how to raise expectations (eg Scott`s letter) and then knock them dowm

The grumbles you have with Chris Hamilton I understand aye, and I'm not surprised you are weary about it all. I would have no idea what ulterior motive he might have.

All I'm saying is give it (the partnership) a chance, don't give up on Oldham now!

Facts are if we didnt take this step and stood alone,how long would we last?

Ch using us as a feeder club,I think not.

Back ORFLC now and get behind the boys :D

I agree with all of you Oldham fans who don't want to be a feeder club. We have been approached by quite a few SL teams and we told them to stick it. It's just a shame the rest in our league didn't do the same. I'm in no doubt all these partnerships means you are a feeder club and the partnerships only help the SL teams and the RFL. The problem is besides us, Halifax and the eagles their Is very little ambition if any to get out of the championships and into the SL. I believe most of the teams in the champ have linked up because they are scared of being relegated but selling their souls to stay in the championship isn't the way I would go but not everyone thinks the same as me.

Seems to me damned if you do, damned if you don't. If we were to be getting slammed by Rochdale and Oxford throughout the season, then the knives would be even sharper. Hold on people it's a agreement that's all, not a handing over, agreements come and go all the time, no big deal I don't see any sovereignty handed over!!

we would'nt be getting slammed buy rochdale or oxford.....have 4 or 5 super league kids is'nt going to be the difference!!

its teams with crafty pro's that get teams out of this league...not kids!

Hasn't the coach already picked his own team? I don't really see what this link up changes?

Well done Mr Chairman for the best decision to follow suit of all other clubs that are willing to benefit from Super Duper League , looking forward to watching some of these so called lads who just aint good enough (according to others) for a top level club , Oldham will benefit from experienced facilities at Salford and training regimes , the players , staff and club can be proud that the Oldham RLFC will not ##### DIE and Never Will just because we have linked up with a club , all clubs are doing it , all clubs are struggling financially , so ORLFC die hards give this a chance and make your comments after this season , other than support the team like you always have , i unfortunately couldnt make many games last year but damn sure gonna make the effort to go this season as all i see are exciting times and a promising future for Oldham RLFC .. Come on you Yeds , Come on you Yeds !!!!

"Come on you yeds , come on you yeds

just keep your bottle dont lose your heads

for 80 minutes we will let you know

its Oldham rugby here we go !!!"

we would'nt be getting slammed buy rochdale or oxford.....have 4 or 5 super league kids is'nt going to be the difference!!

its teams with crafty pro's that get teams out of this league...not kids!

Its teams with motivated players that get out of this league, not young players with poor attitudes or teams with loads of pay cheque professionals!

what changes is "his team" now has to contain the 4or5 salford players....if they are fit they have to play..thats the whole point of these link ups.....to bridge the gap between super league team academy set ups & super league...

if we don't select the salford lads theres no point of the agreement from a salford point of view....salford are'nt in this to help oldham..

I just don't see Scott Naylor putting Salford players in if they are not good enough. Although he has a long history with Salford as does his assistant Spanner, he is his own man. And remember they did get rid of him. He owes them nothing. If they give him players that stregthen the squad great, if not he runs with what he has signed.

Of all the crises and traumas we have had to endure each year since 1997 I can't help but think this one is small beer in comparison . We have had virtually wall to wall positive news since last season but this all seems to have been forgotten due to one announcement which everyone has known has been coming for weeks . Talk of this being the demise of the club just seems to me to be hysteria whipped up for the most part by stay aways who seem to take great delight in rubbishing anything the club do .

I would rather we had remained a stand alone club but the decision has been taken to link up with Salford so lets just get on with making it work . My main objection was the effect that short term loans would have on team morale but we have been told that both clubs view long term deals , preferably season long loans , as the way forward so in effect those loan players will simply become part of our squad and will be picked solely on merit . What benefit is there to Salford if those players are selected to play each week even if their form does not warrant a place . They want these players to justify being retained by Salford and they can only do this by impressing week in week out . If they are not good enough to perform at CC1 level there's not much hope for them at SL level . So lets at least see who we get and how they and the team perform before we condemn the arrangement.

Devil's advocate here.

Assume we do well in Championship1 this year and get promotion. Assume we then do well for a couple of years in the Championship. Assume Salford continue to struggle and walk a thin line with their creditors......it could conceivably be the quickest way Oldham could get back into SL

OK, Whitebank could never be a part of that......but if we must partner with anyone, better a Salford than a Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Warrington.....

On the surface to most fans it looks like nothing will really change, apart from the clubs 'sharing' resources, which can be a good thing given the right club. Salford haven't got the resources of clubs like Wigan, Saints, Warrington or Leeds. And with regards to the coaching setup on board at Salford, they cannot bring anything we do not, or had in the past. The same goes for other club resources. Yes, we could do with marketing alot more, but they will not get involved with anything that could allow potential fans/business suppport Oldham over Salford, as the latter will be their number one priority.

But it's the problem that lies beneath the surface that has been bubbling for years. The RFL and SL have wanted the clubs outside the top flight to feed the SL clubs, and making it more a closed shop than it already is. Areas that are are richer in talent than most SL clubs, Oldham being a prime example, are needed to plug the gaps missing at those clubs. What is certain happen, is that clubs in the Championship that 'share' resources will eventually play for nothing, as they will be exempt from the three year franchised rounds (even though no clubs outside SL will get promoted) - and that will happen.

I and another person on here has sat through hours upon hours of meetings with regards to player pathways, and the constant battle the RFL have fought to drain areas of resistance like Oldham to try and get the whole structure under the SL banner i.e. Salford/Huddersfield. And in the end they helped kill that off, along with the development pathyways from 11s to 14s. Now that phase two has been complete with a linkup with Salford, the RFL have now got what they have wanted for them and their Manchester franchised club - an area of rich talent, unlike the Salford area.

Living in Salford one aspect id like to point out is Salfords lack of presence in the area.

I really cant see them spreading their own gospel and overshadowing ORLFC in Oldham with marketing if they have little to show for it in their own back yard and as other had echoed i think the fact we have paired with one of the smaller SL clubs may be something more of a blessing rather than if we had paired with a club who could realistically target taking our support.

In terms of poaching players I know little on the recruitment process to comment but surely the towns talent has been poached for years since the original clubs demise. From an uneducated view i dont know how this announcement will have that much more impact.

if we must??........the simple fact is we don't need to partner anyone

Devil's advocate here.

Assume we do well in Championship1 this year and get promotion. Assume we then do well for a couple of years in the Championship. Assume Salford continue to struggle and walk a thin line with their creditors......it could conceivably be the quickest way Oldham could get back into SL

OK, Whitebank could never be a part of that......but if we must partner with anyone, better a Salford than a Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Warrington.....

if we must?.........we actually don't thats the whole point

as part of the partnership.....it apparently gives oldham & its players better access to

the full-time club's strength and conditioning programmes, their medical expertise and their sales, marketing and commercial initiatives.

if salford have better training facilities than OCL's facilites dotted around oldham then i'll eat my hat

salford have a head conditioner,mark berry...sure full time players will benefit greatly from seeing him....but part time players who might only see him once a fortnight if they are lucky is'nt going to do much......infact id go as far to say our guys will find it more beneficial subscribing to mens health or mens fitness,eating correctly and training in the fantastic OCL centers......

salford have a club doctor & dentist............wow

as for the sales,marketing & commercial side of things.........he's some free advice to chris hamilton......getting whitebank upto scratch along with a winning side...and you'll double,probably treble last seasons average......without the need to sell the clubs soul to salford....

as for the sales,marketing & commercial side of things.........he's some free advice to chris hamilton......getting whitebank upto scratch along with a winning side...and you'll double,probably treble last seasons average......without the need to sell the clubs soul to salford....

No better marketing than a winning side Spud. Also, they are not likely to engage businesses to support Oldham, when they can give it to their first priority, Salford.

Many moons ago, Huddersfield came on mass over the border and tried to set up links with every amateur club in the town, promising top class coaches coming down to do sessions etc, access to facilties etc etc. One club jumped on board, the rest saw straight through them. What they really wanted was two things, the approach to the clubs talent and the most important one, the target of the parents etc for season tickets, lottery draws etc. Did the Giants fulfill their linkup promise? Did they hell.

In other words, it was all one way - at it will be no different to this linkup. Salford with both feet in the door in Oldham will and can approach the clubs amateur clubs promising the same dream, in reality, they will deliver the same goods - a big fat nothing!

Look at Salfords amateur clubs... Langworthy (a limited youth section), Eccles (even smaller youth section) and Caddishead (even smaller). Folly Lane is classed Swinton.

Oldham have Oldham St Annes (teams at every age group), Waterhead (teams at every age group), Saddleworth (teams at every age group bar two). Sprinkle that with a team from Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and the newly formed Limehurst Lions. A rich picking of talent. And remember, Salford is a City.

Salford in their desperation over the years turned to Rochdale to fill their talent centres, and that didn't turn out as expected.

I think many will know that the passion I have for this club inside and out, but this decision has totally gutted me. If the linkup was with someone like Warrington, Leeds, Wigan or even Saints for matter, I could see a slight, only slight, however, benefit.