Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karen88

salfurd Roughyeds

100 posts in this topic

we've signed our first salford player on a season long loan....19 year old hooker adam files......

you know what...if us and salford had just signed a basic "player loan agreement" where we take 3 or 4 of their brightest youngsters on season long loans...and they come here and fight for their position like everyone else...and left out all the other "partnership" nonsense.......then i don't think it would have kicked of as much as it has.........

I admire all the people who are looking on this positively-I genuinely hope that they`ll turn out to be right.But,with apologies to the `duck` comparison:if it looks like a stitch up,sounds like a stitch up,then in all probability it IS a stitch-up.

*The RFL have wanted this Australian structure for years:when they saw how unpopular it was,they went to it `undercover`.It`s all a means to an end for them

*One of the classic first steps to a full feeder club status is the link-up:when you want to buy a company in a friendly way,you often do it in steps,either putting your people in first or making sure that their systems/processes align with your own.Once the feeder structure is in,it`ll be impossible to get out of it.I really admire Featherstone for their stance on it.

*When you do this,you look for the added value the purchase will give you :having the Oldham `area`,for nothing,is a great `buy` for Salford.For `buy` and `purchase`,read `link-up` and `feeder club`.

*CH and,let`s be honest,Scott and Spanner as well, will be wanting to look after themselves-a job is a job.So,if it`s the only option on the table,as they see it ,then they`ll take it.I can`t blame them for this - money is money.

What I dislike is the way it`s been done :a `done` deal that was sold initially as something different.CH`s proving again his total lack of-I won`t say `care`-understanding of people who`ve supported the club for so long (and these are the people who are most pee`d off)..and his management of expectations is nil.

Ruffyed,as for the moans coming mainly from stay-aways,I think that you`ve read it wrong.

jamie dallimore has answer a question prompted by me and said that scott naylor has full control of the squad and won't be dictated too by salford.....

jamie dallimore has answer a question prompted by me and said that scott naylor has full control of the squad and won't be dictated too by salford.....

Shocker! :D

There will be no doubt that Naylor and Spanner will have total control of the team, and no coach should be dictated to on who or doesn't play. But it's not just about the 17 on duty that the problem lies, and people will support those players wholeheartedly. The problem lies within the cloud of the linkup and it's impact not just at pro level in the town, but within the amateur field as well.

The club will be changing its name to become The Oldham Roughreds,and Whitebank will become the Weeping Willows Stadium.

Raff , I fully accept that some genuine supporters have some real concerns about this link-up and i will always appreciate their comments on this forum even if we disagree on a topic because the bottom line is we care about the club . However I did say ' for the most part' it was stay aways who were as usual anti everything the club does and I stand by this . They know who they are and they cannot or will not resist from jumping on every negative thread to justify their stay away stance .

Ruffyed,fair comment and accepted.Have to say that I have agreed with most,if not all, of your previous comments (that I remember!!) on this site.In this one,though,I have to part opinion with you:what I would wish to happen is not what I can see will happen.

Eg:to pinch a phrase:Scott WOULD say that he has full control..what else is he going to say?

:how do we afford ,on our crowds (which will be lower than last year`s,in revenue if not in spectators),expenses for the owner,plus Scott plus Spanner.Simple business:if your revenue is reducing,you reduce your costs,not add to them.Or maybe one of them is doing it for free (genuine question,by the way,as I don`t know)?

:why not have,as Spud said, a player loan OK for the season?

And I agree that time will tell.I also agree that it should have been set out in a much better way but,at the end,that`s the perogative of the owner.

So,we`ll see.

As I have already said i would have much preferred the club to remain stand alone but the club have taken the decision to link up with Salford so I can either live with that or spit my dummy out and refuse to go like the other stay aways . If it becomes apparent that Salford have undue influence over team selection and general running of the club I will maybe need to think again but I simply cannot believe that Scott Naylor and Lee Spencer are going to be anybodies Yes men . They simply don't come over as that sort of person . The club and most fans have been crying out for a professional coaching set up to bring the best out of the players and imo that is what we have now got and I for one am delighted by these appointments .I am not privy to their financial arrangements and they may not have come cheaply but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate . As we only effectively have a 20 man playing squad on the payroll ( I am assuming that Salford will continue to fund the players they loan to us ) maybe there was more scope within the budget to fund their appointments.

The first player to arrive from Salford as part of the deal is Adam Files and as I hoped this is on a season long loan basis . This has got to be an improvement on the last couple of years dealings when we never knew who would be the next short term loan signing , crisis management by any yardstick . If the other signings are on this basis at least the coach will know in advance who he has to pick from . The rest as they say is up to him . As a bonus Adam comes highly recommended so maybe this link up might not be as disastrous as we first feared .I know there are other issues which are of concern but in the final analysis it is how we perform on the pitch that will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether the link up has been successful or not .Time will tell but I am still optimistic for the season ahead ..

OLDHAM RL Club’s new head coach Scott Naylor has assured fans that he won’t be dictated to by anyone in his first appointment as man in charge.

“Trust me . . . I’m the boss,” was his message to those supporters who fear that partner-club Salford City Reds might want an unhealthy stake in team affairs at Whitebank.

Speaking publicly for the first time about the ground-breaking partnership, Naylor said the sole purpose of the link-up from the Oldham standpoint was to help Roughyeds to become a better club.

He added: “I would never stoop to anything that would harm the team, the players or the good name of the club that employs me.

“I would never be disrespectful to the Oldham club, or its supporters. People in Oldham need to trust me.

“Super League is the pinnacle of the sport in this country and only good can come from an arrangement in which one of its member clubs is going to help us.”

Naylor has already acquired the signature of one of the City Reds’ most promising young players, Adam Files, on a season-long loan.

He went on: “Salford played a huge part in my earlier career. I’ve known the club and the people there for years and, as you would expect, I feel comfortable dealing with them.

“However, Oldham supporters can be assured that Salford will have nothing to do with selection of the Roughyeds team, how we train, what game plans we employ or what our style will be.

“Those things are down to two men only — Spanner (his No 2 Lee Spencer) and me.

“Some of our rivals have similar arrangements — Rochdale with St Helens and NW Crusaders with Widnes Vikings — and I don’t want to see Oldham marooned behind the eight ball.

“We need to be operating on similar lines to the rest.

“The whole point of my being here, and everything we do as a squad over the next nine to ten months, is to get us into a higher division.

“Any help I can get, so long as it’s for the right reasons, I have to accept.”

Given the srength of feeling from supporters, the club obviously felt it needed to issue something. Perhaps CH should explain the detail of the agreement with Salford if there's nothing to be concerned about?

Wilkinson will not get involved with another club, and certainly not Oldham. The guy is trying to offload his beloved Salford, last thing he would want is to work at another club.

I had no concerns that Naylor would be the chief when it came to the team, its the other things that surround the linkup that could have more damaging impact not just at the club, but in general for the town of Oldham with regards to RL.

If anyone thinks Super league U20's is better than CH1 then your kidding yourself.I can't see many of the Salford U20's making an impact at Oldham. We already have a number of good young lads with one or two years experience at this level and can push on.Very few lads particularly forwards can play SL in their teens or early 20's. I think this will just go to show how good the likes of Ward,Dally,Cookson,Langtree, Gilchrist and Joy are. Salford lads are in for a shock. I know it's not ideal but if everyone else is doing it what choice did we have.CH said he wanted lads on at least season loans which limites Salford influence.

my thoughts exactly.......SL kids are not going to be the deciding factor in who wins our league

we are verging on having too many youngester imo

The club will be changing its name to become The Oldham Roughreds,and Whitebank will become the Weeping Willows Stadium.

Love that one .................... its a cracker ...........ha ha ha

Wilkinson will not get involved with another club, and certainly not Oldham. The guy is trying to offload his beloved Salford, last thing he would want is to work at another club.

I had no concerns that Naylor would be the chief when it came to the team, its the other things that surround the linkup that could have more damaging impact not just at the club, but in general for the town of Oldham with regards to RL.

on the wilkinson rumour..........it may have legs,..he's getting rid of salford cos it's on its backside....other have said he's retiring....

but think about it a second.......going from being involved in RL day in day out for 30 years...to nothing would be difficult imo....

so getting involved in oldham as a commercial manager,working a couple of 3 days aweek and still,in a way,being involved in salford........it does'nt seem that far fetched imo..

saying that i'd love to be oldhams commercial manager...and i'd do it for a free season ticket & a free jersey every year .......lol

Is it my suspicious mind, or could the RFL have engineered the demise of the Oldham Service Area, so Salford can walk in and run it. Therefore giving them a tick in the box for development?

Is it my suspicious mind, or could the RFL have engineered the demise of the Oldham Service Area, so Salford can walk in and run it. Therefore giving them a tick in the box for development?

If so, CH has played right into their hands by signing up to this 'partnership'.

If so, CH has played right into their hands by signing up to this 'partnership'.

I do not think he can be blamed for this. The club offered facilities etc but were declined.

We can come up with as many conspiracy theories as we like for this link up but maybe the simple truth is CH genuinely believes that this is the best way forward for the club.As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this one ....only time will tell . If things start to go pear shaped we can all make our views known then as facts not theories but until then lets just give it the benefit of the doubt and get behind the team to help them get promotion to the Championship which is what most of us really want .

I know lets do a a FC United and start a new club. Get new investors in and play at Boundary Park. Apply to go into CH1 and we will have a couple of good derby games for a year until the new club gets promoted ,

ha ha

I know lets do a a FC United and start a new club. Get new investors in and play at Boundary Park. Apply to go into CH1 and we will have a couple of good derby games for a year until the new club gets promoted ,

ha ha

Has daft as that sounds Ive thought about this a few times, and the more I think about it the more I think

its the best thing for the town and RL locally. Rugby Oldham and a few businessmen could surely put as

good a package together as Oxford and Gloucester have. Thoughs please.

Has daft as that sounds Ive thought about this a few times, and the more I think about it the more I think

its the best thing for the town and RL locally. Rugby Oldham and a few businessmen could surely put as

good a package together as Oxford and Gloucester have. Thoughs please.

My thoughts, its a none starter. You would not even be given time of day by the RFL.