Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think it's become a horribly smug self-congratulatory BBC event fronted by the King and Queen of BBC smugness, Gary Lineker and Sue Barker.

The panel of sports 'experts' includes BBC Five Live presenter Eleanor Oldroyd and that pretty much sums it up for me.

I suppose at least this year is the one year in every 4 where the BBC actually has the TV rights to the sports of the majority of SPOTY nominees.

Has got to be Wiggins but after Cavendish won it last year it wouldn't be much of a shock to see a non-cyclist win it. Anyone one of the shortlist with the possible exception of McIlroy deserve to win.

That's two things we now agree on.

The other being that the West Country accent is a thing of beauty.

I think it's become a horribly smug self-congratulatory BBC event fronted by the King and Queen of BBC smugness, Gary Lineker and Sue Barker.

The panel of sports 'experts' includes BBC Five Live presenter Eleanor Oldroyd and that pretty much sums it up for me.

I suppose at least this year is the one year in every 4 where the BBC actually has the TV rights to the sports of the majority of SPOTY nominees.

Not watched it in years and don't intend to break the habit this year.

Cringeworthy television at its worst.

gingerjon    2,471

Who said anything about it being better? If Weir had ridden the Paralympic marathon every day for three weeks and had the lowest overall time then that could almost be comparable to Wiggins winning the TDF.

This is not taking anything away from those sportsmen and women on the shortlist. Their achievements are incredible and it's fantastic that so many could win it (and tough on Sinfield who probably should be on that list).

You don't need to play to the crowd. Sinfield doesn't need to be on the list.

Severus    280

Not playing to the crowd. Sinfield deserves wider recognition.

Scubby    5,037

Oh no he doesn't.................. oh yes he does............. sorry that time of year :ph34r:

flyingking    542

Doesn't the recent series against Wales and France count?

What a year for British sport. Thoroughly enjoyable programme, worth it just for Jessica Ennis in that dress.

Agreed,but just seen bbc photo with Wiggins and Willies wife,but Beckham,that man will shove his face on a dog ###### if it gain him publicity,an average footballer with a messi/ronaldo publicity machine.

Old Frightful    3,098

but Beckham,that man will shove his face on a dog ###### if it gain him publicity

Or Victoria Adams as she used to be known by...

gingerjon    2,471

What a year for British sport. Thoroughly enjoyable programme, worth it just for Jessica Ennis in that dress.

Not a bad programme at all.

Thought the team award was a bit of a cop out - personally I'd have given it to just the British Cycling team - and having now seen his reaction with Lennox Lewis I think Andy Murray should be on every year, if only to abuse Sue Barker.

Mister C    57

Some confusion over the team award

Do the terms and conditions mean Team GB should not have won? or is it in the wording?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/19997397

TEAM OF THE YEAR

For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement.

For the avoidance of doubt this criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB but includes the likes of British Cycling, Rowing Coxless Four and the European Ryder Cup team

Futtocks    5,859

Some confusion over the team award

Do the terms and conditions mean Team GB should not have won? or is it in the wording?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nality/19997397

TEAM OF THE YEAR

For the team in an individual sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the calendar year to date. The team should have significant UK interest or involvement.

For the avoidance of doubt this criteria excludes Team GB/Paralympics GB but includes the likes of British Cycling, Rowing Coxless Four and the European Ryder Cup team

It was decided to overturn that rule. I think, just this once, it was a decent decision.

Jess' dress was a wonderful sight indeed. Bradley Wiggins should host the damn show next year. And Lennox Lewis needs rather more rehearsal when it comes to presenting trophies.

Yes, RL got cumulative airtime totalling about 8 seconds, but there was loads to enjoy anyway. It's been a year to savour.

JohnM    2,652

It was decided to overturn that rule. I think, just this once, it was a decent decision. Yes, indeed it was.

Mister C    57

Excellent!

in all fairness it was brilliant watching poulters charge again!

Mister C    57

Really?!

They got their own sodding segment the dreary whiners.

i think it was just a few fans tbh reading a few re-tweets...!