Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saints10coach

Oldham /Salford

836 posts in this topic

Everyone is entitled to their own view of course. Personally I'm not sure why we are any different to the other Championship clubs who have similar arrangements with SL clubs. Are all these clubs finished too?

We are still ORLFC, still have our great history to look back on and I am trying to be optimistic for our future.

Like BigRed, I have followed them home and away for over 40 years so I can't blame my optimism on youth!!!

We get up to 6 players from Salford.

We get access to training facilities etc.

We don't get much else as Salford are skint.

Salford get to keep 6 (up to) players who they think have SL potential but who are not quite ready yet.

Salford get to dump the other players who they used to employ to make up the numbers in the Under 20's (or was it 21's?) team.

We get to entice young players with chance to get in the shop window for Salford.

We are still called Oldham.

We are still skint.

We still have CH as owner/chairman/dictator.

We can dump Salford when they are demoted and I win the euro-millions.

We get up to 6 players from Salford.

We get access to training facilities etc.

We don't get much else as Salford are skint.

Salford get to keep 6 (up to) players who they think have SL potential but who are not quite ready yet.

Salford get to dump the other players who they used to employ to make up the numbers in the Under 20's (or was it 21's?) team.

We get to entice young players with chance to get in the shop window for Salford.

We are still called Oldham.

We are still skint.

We still have CH as owner/chairman/dictator.

sounds fine to me!We can dump Salford when they are demoted and I win the euro-millions.

Sound fine to me! if only we could change the being skint part...

Clubs are only allowed to recruit up to 6 players outside their catchment area. Link

So in Salfords case does Oldham become their catchment area?

What is the point in that? Really?

What was the point & why did Wimdbledon start up again?

That is what I would envisage.

But is it a real problem if thats the case? Salford could get 6 young players already? (along with every SL club).

That is what I would envisage.

If thats the case it would be more worthwhile loaning a dozen players out to 4 clubs.

But is it a real problem if thats the case? Salford could get 6 young players already? (along with every SL club).

Yeah but now they can get unlimited Oldham-ites and up to six from the rest of the UK.

RIP ORLFC.............been a fan for 28 years......but im not going to support salford reserves...

and judging by the comments on the clubs facebook page neither are alot of people...

I think a lot of people already don't support Salford reserves.

What was the point & why did Wimdbledon start up again?

They had an immediate fan base of around two thousand after their original club moved 60 miles north.

Oldham has a fanbase of around 400 hardy (if bl00dy miserable) souls who still have a club to support in Oldham.

If they don't like it, they have Waterhead or St Annes to support at the level any 'AFC Oldham' club would potentially crop up at.

Plus they wouldn't have a ground... Why am I even arguing this?

They had an immediate fan base of around two thousand after their original club moved 60 miles north.

Oldham has a fanbase of around 400 hardy (if bl00dy miserable) souls who still have a club to support in Oldham.

If they don't like it, they have Waterhead or St Annes to support at the level any 'AFC Oldham' club would potentially crop up at.

So 400 happy hardy souls don't count.

So 400 happy hardy souls don't count.

I think you are presuming that they would all be unhappy with the deal. Some will be, some won't. Who knows some folk currently not attending might vhange their minds.

It's too early to say how it will affect gates.

400 hardy souls that 'loverugbyleague' young Gavin!

I think you are presuming that they would all be unhappy with the deal. Some will be, some won't. Who knows some folk currently not attending might vhange their minds.

It's too early to say how it will affect gates.

I think Sheddings has answered for me.

Can you please link me to the relevant document that states this?

There isn't one, Gav. If there was that'd mean Warrington could 'ring fence' the city of Salf

Can you please link me to the relevant document that states this?

There isn't one, Gav. If there was that'd mean Warrington could 'ring fence' the city of SalfOrd by virtue of their link up with Swinton.

Good yarn though!

400 hardy souls that 'loverugbyleague' young Gavin!

Yep, who still have a club in Oldham to support. Setting up a new one in the next street would be completely pointless.

Yep, who still have a club in Oldham to support. Setting up a new one in the next street would be completely pointless.

Liverpool - Everton, AC Milan - Inter Milan, Hull FC - Hull KR So on so forth

I do feel for those old clubs who are now a mere shadow of the ones they were in their pomp. Clubs like Oldham, Rochdale, Workington and Salford.

However, I cannot understand the desire to cut off your noses to spite your collective face. Anyone who thinks that Oldham, standing alone, will ever regain their former glory is deluding himself. And the same applies to all the other clubs I mentioned. And I do include Salford in that list! Alone, we are never going to make it big. Together, we might just have a chance.

I have said before that all the 'Manchester' clubs should be playing in the Championship and some sort of joint venture club should be playing in SL. That is, I know, just a fantasy. It won't work. The joint club would still be playing before 5 or 6 thousand people. Until it started winning regularly, that is.

It is a shame that Oldham are in the straits they are. It is a shame that Rochdale are, that Workington are, that Swinton are, that Salford are. But it is 2012, not 1952. None of these once-proud clubs have really moved with the times and that is the real problem. Sticking your heads in the sand won't solve that.

Liverpool - Everton, AC Milan - Inter Milan, Hull FC - Hull KR So on so forth

You're comparing Oldham and a mythical 'AFC Oldham' to those clubs?

:D

Lovely stuff.

I do feel for those old clubs who are now a mere shadow of the ones they were in their pomp. Clubs like Oldham, Rochdale, Workington and Salford.

However, I cannot understand the desire to cut off your noses to spite your collective face. Anyone who thinks that Oldham, standing alone, will ever regain their former glory is deluding himself. And the same applies to all the other clubs I mentioned. And I do include Salford in that list! Alone, we are never going to make it big. Together, we might just have a chance.

I have said before that all the 'Manchester' clubs should be playing in the Championship and some sort of joint venture club should be playing in SL. That is, I know, just a fantasy. It won't work. The joint club would still be playing before 5 or 6 thousand people. Until it started winning regularly, that is.

It is a shame that Oldham are in the straits they are. It is a shame that Rochdale are, that Workington are, that Swinton are, that Salford are. But it is 2012, not 1952. None of these once-proud clubs have really moved with the times and that is the real problem. Sticking your heads in the sand won't solve that.

Exactly.