Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saints10coach

Oldham /Salford

836 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever heard the phrase '2 bald men fighting over a comb'?

It possibly was invented for RL and its fans.

Dave T -

Try arguing the case for a CC club over London in SL and see the keyboard warriors go into action and take note of whats said.

There are posts in this thread alone (or maybe the other Salford one) that are particularly derogatory to CC clubs, especially, but not exclusively, Oldham

Dave T -

Try arguing the case for a CC club over London in SL and see the keyboard warriors go into action and take note of whats said.

There are posts in this thread alone (or maybe the other Salford one) that are particularly derogatory to CC clubs, especially, but not exclusively, Oldham

There will be posts criticising clubs from any division, and SL clubs like London, Salford, Cas etc. get more than their fair share of criticism. There are one or two people who have particularly strong views on this, especially around the money that it costs to run a SL club, but in general there is little real criticism of the Championship as a comp, or criticism of how the clubs act etc.

I'm certainly not suggesting there is no negativity about individual clubs/incidents etc. of course there is, but there is no systemic criticism of the comp or teams.

Perhaps so.......its a natural occurrence as well

If you are in SL with access to £1m plus from Sky - you will want to keep it.

If you are a CC club with access to very little funding up front in the same manner as Sky, you are going to want to get a part of it.

There are negative posts around SL. There are also a good number of posts that come across as well you are in the lower division, you may as well just stay there and look up to us. Its the english class thing kicking in.

There are negative posts around SL. There are also a good number of posts that come across as well you are in the lower division, you may as well just stay there and look up to us. Its the english class thing kicking in.

I just don't see that, but naturally I don't read all the forum posts, so who knows what I miss!

Many supporters want a return of P&R, but many also want to see licensing given a proper chance. Many are of the opinion that licensing can work, and if Featherstone, or Halifax or whoever are a stronger club than Cas, Salford or whoever then fair enough. I can only think of 1 or 2 people on here who don't think clubs could step up, and I'm not sure if they are SL fans.

There is more of a trend of posts towards considering P & R and alternative P & R and liceniong strategies, now than there was say when Bradford were in trouble.

The SL clubs have allegedly discussed P&R in Newby Bridge, but then the outcome was to create 4 further sub-committees and nothing was decided. A representative of the Championship clubs at least should have been invited, even just for the session around licencing and P & R.

Parky,

You are a master at redirection when your posts seem to be heading for the rocks.

In this instance your claim was that no rich persons would ever be interested in investing in CC clubs. When the error of this claim is shown to you, the redirection begins and the thrust of your argument becomes that the said clubs will be in SL soon so then they won't be shown to be investing in CC clubs.

Yes that's right.

Rich men do not settle for second best so either they pick up a Superleague club like Leeds, Wire or Wigan...

Or they pick up a CC club like Hull.K.R, or Widnes and make it into a Superkeague club.

Thing is HKR and Widnes are big clubs in my lifetime who had big potential to get back to the top.

Rich men would not touch actual CC/small clubs like keighley and Hunslet.

We have to live with this my friend :D

Never won nowt much York were once in the top division did that make them a big club? In your mind yes :rolleyes:

Won dozens of trophies Wigan were once a CC club for a year- were they a small club that year? In your mind yes :lol:

Rich men want to invest in big clubs and do.

Small clubs dont get rich men investing.

Focus on this carefully and stop focusing on me.

in general there is little real criticism of the Championship as a comp, or criticism of how the clubs act etc.

That's because IMO champ 1 is more competitive than SL.

Try arguing the case for a CC club over London

Try finding a CC club that gets bigger crowds than London Broncos and produces more professional players???

Go on try.........

Let me know when you can't find anyone.

You know the Broncos once averaged 5,400 fans.

Try finding CC clubs that could match that??

"Where do you think Rugby League would be today if the game had rejected the SKY offer of millions of pounds a year to stage an elite competition"

ANSWER "Well there would still be a semi pro game". (1)

The amateur, youth and student game would still be where it is (2).

There would still be internationals and maybe it would be better with closer games (3)

1. Indeed there would on crowds of 200 - 2,000. Nice one.

2. Yes I'm sure if Rugby league gave up the ghost people "on the ground" would not give up the ghost just to suit your illogical nonsensical argument.

3. Yeh, I can't wait until we abandon professional RL in this country so that we can have closer games with Australia and New Zealand. Why not just go 100% amateur then we can win the world cup??

Try finding a CC club that gets bigger crowds than London Broncos and produces more professional players???

Go on try.........

Let me know when you can't find anyone.

You know the Broncos once averaged 5,400 fans.

Try finding CC clubs that could match that??

Halifax @ a guess

Halifax @ a guess

No not really.

London produce far more professionals than Halifax.

Halifax draw around 2,000 fans.

I've been in the odd Thrum Hall crowd with several thousand Leeds fans. (geddit?)

CC clubs do well crowd wise when the big away side is down the road.

ANYWAY it's past your bedtime....

1. You may note that you will see very few posts from fans of SL clubs that split the game out as SL vs Championship. The only posts I see on this kind of theme is from some fans of some Championship clubs who seem to have a real hatred of the SL.

2. Whilst it may be understandable to an extent,

1. I noticed that. I have this feeling that their hatred clouds their judgement to some extent...

Well thinking about it, maybe to a large extent.....

Erm well, thinking about it again, to such an extreme extent they argue black is white....

e.g if Pro SL collapsed grass roots interest will not flounder and GB semi pros will do better against Australia.

2. I don't think any level headed well mannered person would stoop so low as to let their petty jealousies cloud their judgement

No not really.

Halifax draw around 2,000 fans.

I've been in the odd Thrum Hall crowd with several thousand Leeds fans. (geddit?)

CC clubs do well crowd wise when the big away side is down the road.

ANYWAY it's past your bedtime....

Be careful with your argument here, in 91/92 Halifax averaged just over 7,000 and a couple of other seasons around the same time of over 6,000. Against the poor draw teams they could manage 5k, which is pretty reasonable.

Problem was the crowds were success based, success goes, crowds go, crowds go, money goes, club dive bombs.

You have to think about what track record a club has in recent history, I know we are talking 20 years ago but it shows that over time (important phrase) Halifax could show a good return. It certainly wouldn't happen overnight, too many of those 5,000 are probably dead as the average age of an RL supporter 20 years ago was bordering on pensioner..

....and could the reason why seven clubs have won it since be due to an equal and equitable sharing of central SKY funds?

Just think how strong all our clubs could be Parky, given a fighting chance.....

I have given that a thought.

14 SL clubs.

24 CC clubs

(here's the bit you won't like)

40 NCL clubs

100 other top amateur clubs with junior sides

Split the SKY money 178 ways and give them all £100K each a season.

(here's something else you won't like)

And watch the best use of the money be made by the amateurs with junior sections who may well spend it on infrastructure, and watch the biggest waste of the money be perpetrated by the CC clubs who will spend it on second rate players wages.

Be careful with your argument here, in 91/92 Halifax averaged just over 7,000 and a couple of other seasons around the same time of over 6,000. Against the poor draw teams they could manage 5k, which is pretty reasonable.

Problem was the crowds were success based, success goes, crowds go, crowds go, money goes, club dive bombs.

You have to think about what track record a club has in recent history, I know we are talking 20 years ago but it shows that over time (important phrase) Halifax could show a good return. It certainly wouldn't happen overnight, too many of those 5,000 are probably dead as the average age of an RL supporter 20 years ago was bordering on pensioner..

I am of course indebted to your kind reply.

I plead guilty to being a tad careless with my post.

However I like the idea Halifax when playing well could only manage 5,000 when they didn't have the honour of a lot of away fans coming from just oop t' road.

Bit like London who equally could manage 5,000 when they were playing well but were however playing well 200 miles from M62 Land and away fans.

I do remember when Halifax were playing poorly in SL they averaged 2,977 with the advantage of many away fans a car ride away.

So maybe there's nothing in it crowds wise.

That leaves the RFL deciding which club can bring on the most professionals to expand the player pool.

No contest.....

However I like the idea Halifax when playing well could only manage 5,000 when they didn't have the honour of a lot of away fans coming from just oop t' road.

Bit like London who equally could manage 5,000 when they were playing well but were however playing well 200 miles from M62 Land and away fans.

I do remember when Halifax were playing poorly in SL they averaged 2,977 with the advantage of many away fans a car ride away.

That leaves the RFL deciding which club can bring on the most professionals to expand the player pool.

No contest.....

With the same amount of money and time spent on both clubs I'll agree with you, Halifax would produce more professional players and average better crowds.

Shows how little you know about the game when you come out with such statements which are wrong. Luke Robinson, Gareth Widdop, Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Adam O´brien, Scott Grix, Simon Grix, Jacob Fairbank, Niall Evalds are all from Halifax and all in SL or NRL first team squads. Maybe theres others dont know as havent really looked too much at who is signed up for 2013. Daniel Fleming is at Cas but will be loaned to Batley this year. Others Halifax lads like England Academy player James Saltonstall alongside Zak Dewhurst, William Milner, Josh Casey and Alex Mellor are at SL U18s teams and have also all represented England. There are others as well from Halifax at U18s teams. Then of course there are many professionals playing in the Championship both with Halifax like Sam Barlow, Luke Ambler, Anthony bowman and others elsewhere like James Haley, Liam Finn and Byrom Smith. Also Siddal have one of the best amateur clubs in the UK and Elland and Ovenden also play in the National Conference. So how has London produced far more professionals than Halifax? Or are you just trying to wind people up? hahaha

No contest.....

I forgot to mention that also apart from the dead ones there are those that have been stolen by Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds and keighley.

Shows how little you know about the game when you come out with such statements which are wrong. Luke Robinson, Gareth Widdop, Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Adam O´brien, Scott Grix, Simon Grix, Jacob Fairbank, Niall Evalds are all from Halifax and all in SL or NRL first team squads. Maybe theres others dont know as havent really looked too much at who is signed up for 2013. Daniel Fleming is at Cas but will be loaned to Batley this year. Others Halifax lads like England Academy player James Saltonstall alongside Zak Dewhurst, William Milner, Josh Casey and Alex Mellor are at SL U18s teams and have also all represented England. There are others as well from Halifax at U18s teams. Then of course there are many professionals playing in the Championship both with Halifax like Sam Barlow, Luke Ambler, Anthony bowman and others elsewhere like James Haley, Liam Finn and Byrom Smith. Also Siddal have one of the best amateur clubs in the UK and Elland and Ovenden also play in the National Conference. So how has London produced far more professionals than Halifax? Or are you just trying to wind people up? hahaha

Wouldn't players below SL be semi-pro, just a thought.

Wouldn't players below SL be semi-pro, just a thought.

He just said professionals. Could have meant accountants.

I also note that he doesn't know when to stop when the drink kicks in.

Shows how little you know about the game when you come out with such statements which are wrong. Luke Robinson, Gareth Widdop, Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Adam O´brien, Scott Grix, Simon Grix, Jacob Fairbank, Niall Evalds are all from Halifax and all in SL

Shows how you twist things.

You know full well how it works so don't twist it.

Halifax Junior RL is a magnificent organisation that produces top quality players who are signed up and developed by various SL clubs.

Hunslet is also a fine area for Leeds to scout professional quality talent for their Superleague academy and ultimately the first team squad.

Where Halifax and Hunslet RLFC come into It I don't know? Do you??

He just said professionals. Could have meant accountants.

I also note that he doesn't know when to stop when the drink kicks in.

I'll stop when you can answer a simple question.

When people become personal and offensive is the point when they have no answer other than to attack the questioner.

With the same amount of money and time spent on both clubs I'll agree with you, Halifax would produce more professional players and average better crowds.

Same amount of time???

Halifax were formed in 1873?? London have 107 years to go to catch up with that.

Same amount of money???

How much more money does Junior RL in the south east of the country receive over junior RL in Halifax??

You know a bit about Donny - who did Ian Kirke start with and where did he develop as a professional?

Was it at Doncaster RLFC?

I forgot to mention that also apart from the dead ones there are those that have been stolen by Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds and keighley.

Nobody from Halifax watches SL I am assured. I wonder if you want to have a go at this one - the CC lads don't.

"Where do you think Rugby League would be today if the game had rejected the SKY offer of millions of pounds a year to stage an elite competition"