Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The older, wealthier generation and alcohol!

97 posts in this topic

You don't get town centres as no go zones on a weekend due to a caffeine buzz!

You might get a no-go zone due to lack of funds though. ;)

Re Cost of treatment.

How much tax is paid on alcohol? I estimate lots.

Then whats next? Obesity costs us a lot of money, how about we put food prices up, that should raise a few quid.

Education not prohibition is the answer for me. I like drinking and probably drink too much, I'm an amiable drunk (as Mr T-Dub will agree) but I'm aware of what I'm doing and what the possible consequences are.

Leave me alone to get on with what I enjoy doing

Education not prohibition is the answer for me. I like drinking and probably drink too much, I'm an amiable drunk (as Mr T-Dub will agree) but I'm aware of what I'm doing and what the possible consequences are.

Leave me alone to get on with what I enjoy doing

I agree, 100%.

'Keep your bleeding nose out' is another term that springs to mind.

Education not prohibition is the answer for me.

Education campaigns and the like about alcohol have been running for years but the drinking rates have gone up, violence and crime linked to alcohol has gone up and the burden on the health services as a result of alcohol has gone up.

Education campaigns and the like about alcohol have been running for years but the drinking rates have gone up, violence and crime linked to alcohol has gone up and the burden on the health services as a result of alcohol has gone up.

Perception or proof?

Perception or proof?

I've got no proof that you're a social drunk rather than someone more likely to set their dog on someone who annoys them - that's your perception.

The proof of about the rest is in the figures.

On breakfast TV this morning, both channels had an alcohol-abuse expert who was forced to grudgingly admit that alcohol sales went down last year.

If you've any free money you could do worse than invest in home-brewing kit. No doubt people on every council estate in Britain are having the same idea.

On breakfast TV this morning, both channels had an alcohol-abuse expert

Seeing double that early in the day?

Seeing double that early in the day?

:D

I switch channels to get both sets of Yorkshire news, then again to get the Welsh news. All before 7.00am.

I've got no proof that you're a social drunk rather than someone more likely to set their dog on someone who annoys them - that's your perception.

The proof of about the rest is in the figures.

oh how droll you are, I'm happy with my perception of myself, the perception I was referring to was that we are all going to either die of cirrhosis or be beaten to death by a drunk.

So how about giving us a link to this "proof" you so readily trot out?

First they came for the smokers, I didn't smoke so said nothing.

Then they came for the drinkers.....etc etc

You get the gist.

You get the gist.

It was when they went after the heroin addicts. Champions of free thought and socking it to Da Man those guys.

You get the gist.

indeed I do, consenting adults and all that. I hate bloody liberals

On breakfast TV this morning, both channels had an alcohol-abuse expert who was forced to grudgingly admit that alcohol sales went down last year.

After about ten years of going up the number of deaths from booze and the amount drunk on average fell very slightly in the last year figures are available for.

The number of admissions to hospital in England increased to over 1,000,000, as did the number of incidences of alcohol related liver disease (and other alcohol related conditions).

(NHS has all this, as does the Home Office)

If you want to stop people dying of liver disease or reduce alcohol-fueled crime what are your alternatives?

Bearing in mind your tax dollars pay to clean up the mess.

I'm not a tax exile. I pay my taxes in Sterling :)

There was a guy from something like The British Liver Trust ( i think) who was certain that this measure would save 1000 lives a year. Before devising a solution, I'd need to see the evidence. That is, the evidence of "pre-loading" with cheap alcohol, the evidince that pricing this way would have the claimed effect etc. One of the key pieces of research can be found here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.150021!/file/scotlandupdatejan2012.pdf

It is an in depth statistical analysis that comes up with very firm conclusions. However, it is also just that an exercise in statistical research. Nowhere, unless I have missed it, are there any interviews with real people, or with suppliers, or with victims. It is almost looks as though the researchers never left the University.

or , according to the BBC website, Correction 28 September 2012: The main figure in this story has been amended from 50,000 to 11,500 after it emerged that there had been an error in the calculations carried out for Panorama by the School of Health and Related Research at the University of Sheffield.

After about ten years of going up the number of deaths from booze and the amount drunk on average fell very slightly in the last year figures are available for.

The number of admissions to hospital in England increased to over 1,000,000, as did the number of incidences of alcohol related liver disease (and other alcohol related conditions).

(NHS has all this, as does the Home Office)

Not arguing with the figures, but there will always be a "lag-time" with something like this.

Even if this change is successful, with long term liver damage / alcoholism, the results won't be seen for years.

Figures on Anti-social behaviour / alcohol based admissions to A & E might give some early pointers though.

If as Gingerjon says, figures have started to fall, it will be hard to assess the impact that pricing has.

indeed I do, consenting adults and all that. I hate bloody liberals

You calling Cameron and co liberals?

You calling Cameron and co liberals?

Nope, in this instance I'm calling out all the middle class liberals who want to free us poor workers from the vices that afflict us. Cameron and co can, in the words of the local chavs "go and do one"

Nope, in this instance I'm calling out all the middle class liberals who want to free us poor workers from the vices that afflict us. Cameron and co can, in the words of the local chavs "go and do one"

You've got a strange view on liberals.

You've got a strange view on liberals.

Care to expand on that?