Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Rebranding, merging and relocations....the eternal sin? Why not Salford City Reds to Manchester Reds?

56 posts in this topic

Have they always been nicknamed the Reds?

I always thought they may have gone as : Salford FC - The Dockers

This logo is a very bad photoshop rip-off of the Fremantle Dockers old logo, but the idea remains; a docker with the sculpture from the Salford docks:

salforddockers.png

Its nothing to do with Salford RLFC and I don't think its anything to do with Salford City FC either and I have lived in Salford/Eccles all my life. Never seen this before.

Yeah, I know it's just an idea I'm throwing out there. I thought it may be interesting to have the docks or an anchor in the clubs identity.

I saw these on the net and thought it may be worth a look:

433407552_b622b5bcfd_z.jpganchor.jpgSalford+Quays+5+10.4.10.JPG

Rebranding is to try and expand on what they have and stretch to new audiences if possible. Rugby League generally to Manchester is like gaelic football to Bradfordians, they don't really go together. To change the first name, the town name of the club is a big risk. With Salford they have a brand recognised for decades and would be taking a big risk and could possiblyalienate existing fans too. Alternatively the better way to rebrand would be via the moniker of the club/logo/nickname, the City Reds. That is for another discussion. However I think the club will are occupied with other things at the moment............

Salford have been the Red Devils since the 30s. Given the name by the French.

Why brand them as Dockers when the docks haven't existed since the 70s. How will this improve the image or crowds?

This industrial heritage means little to the council or many residents. Look at the blue cranes about to be scrapped.

Maybe they should play as Media City Blues.

Why brand them as Dockers when the docks haven't existed since the 70s. How will this improve the image or crowds?

I don't actually know, that's why I put forward the question. It's more to do with the fact that there is/was an industrial heritage in the city, if it's irrelevant now, then fair enough, I have my answer. B)