Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

World Cup - General Discussion (Merged Threads)

1,686 posts in this topic

I dont think you can be dismissive of where Samoa get their players from. Their people emigrate to New Zealand in large numbers, who are we to say that they are no longer Samoan. We need the pacific islands for the future growth of RL, I dont think it's a big deal if their players live in Samoa or live in New Zealand - as long as they're identifiably Samoan in ethnicity,language,culture etc then who gives a hoot?

I notice Joel Monghan has turned down the opportunity to play for Ireland. He says it wouldn't have felt right playing against Australia after playing for them a couple of times.

I dont think you can be dismissive of where Samoa get their players from. Their people emigrate to New Zealand in large numbers, who are we to say that they are no longer Samoan. We need the pacific islands for the future growth of RL, I dont think it's a big deal if their players live in Samoa or live in New Zealand - as long as they're identifiably Samoan in ethnicity,language,culture etc then who gives a hoot?

Correct, but I think there should be some sort of development going on in Samoa itself.

Correct, but I think there should be some sort of development going on in Samoa itself.

no argument from me on that score

Agree. I thought Nigel Vagana was the man who was going to kick start RL in Samoa after he gathered plenty of ex Kiwis for the 2008 WC qualifiers. What's been done in Samoa since?

Ha, ner ner RFU. We can play at Old Trafford.

One shouldn't gloat, but :D

Has there been anything recently on kick-off times for any matches? I've still got a few matches where I'm waiting on kick-off times before I purchase tickets.

Has there been anything recently on kick-off times for any matches? I've still got a few matches where I'm waiting on kick-off times before I purchase tickets.

I think the kick off times are all tied in with television rights aren't they? And that's all in the hands of IMG.

I think the kick off times are all tied in with television rights aren't they? And that's all in the hands of IMG.

I think that's right, but presumably IMG are going to have to conclude TV deals some time! I'm a bit surprised that RLWC2013 didn't require IMG to sort kick-off times out in good time. I guess IMG & the TV companies are both playing hard ball, but it's of no benefit to rugby league, as we've got our money now, we just need good TV coverage and decent kick-off times.

Great going is that! Not got mine yet, really need to get myself sorted!!!

me neither. Need to sort accommodation as well. Best suggestions for near old Trafford appreciated

I think that's right, but presumably IMG are going to have to conclude TV deals some time! I'm a bit surprised that RLWC2013 didn't require IMG to sort kick-off times out in good time. I guess IMG & the TV companies are both playing hard ball, but it's of no benefit to rugby league, as we've got our money now, we just need good TV coverage and decent kick-off times.

I think you'll find any extra money IMG is able to get out of the TV negotiations will come back to us in some form. Generally with these types of deals, a company like IMG will underwrite the TV contracts to a certain value, which of course is our minimum guarantee of revenue. If however they are able to achieve above and beyond that, which it would be a first if IMG doesn't get above their underwrite (which is usually set at a conservative rate), we get a share of those extra dollars as well.

It's just generally the more over IMG goes, the greater their % of the total pot is. Ie. If they underwrote the TV rights for $5 million, that is what they have to guarantee us, however for every dollar they earn between $5 - $10 million, it maybe split 50:50, but for every dollar above that $10 million mark, IMG might collect 70:30.

So it would be unsurprising that in the Australian, French, UK and NZ markets IMG would be fighting pretty hard to get a good pay day.

yes, that's all well and good, but when are we going to get some TV (and kick-off time) announcements?

Yours

Impatient !

The difference with the Final at Old Trafford 2000 alone is already immense. They were desperately trying to get a crowd out last minute back then with MEN giving them away I think. What did we finish up with 45,000 or so?

Already having sold 40,000 tickets,means it is very likely to sell out - another 35,000 - over the next 6 months.Some people will be disappointed in England get there! Well done the RFL,forward planning.

Regarding kick off times, I just hope there's some daytime goes on TV, don't like night games.

A much shortened version of the press release was printed in bold under an imposing rugby league picture slap bang in the middle of the rugby union pages of The Times today. Sounds like the withdrawal of Old Trafford has caused the rugby union authorities a bit of a panic.

Regardless of your thoughts on the World Cup, the 40,000 is a great achievement. 

When you consider that 44,000 is the biggest international crowd we've had in this country in the last 18 years, to have sold 40,000 6 months prior to the game is outstanding. I'd feel better if it was the first game though. I don't want to put a dampener on anything but the 44,000 in 2000 was scant consolation to what had gone previously.

Is it worth pointing out that if they sell another 33,000 tickets then we are looking at a World record international RL crowd? It's items like this that they should be shouting from the rooftops, to try and create a feel-good factor. It's even starting to get me excited, and I'm the ultimate RLWC cynic! 

As mentioned before, whilst it's great over 40,000 tickets have been sold for Old Trafford, and that well over 100,000 tickets have been sold for the tournament it is important that we ensure we kick start the tournament with a big crowd at Millennium Stadium.

Going off what we can see on the Ticketmaster site:

• Category 1 - Bay 7 & 11 have been majority filled.
  • Category 2 - Bays 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 have been majority filled.
  • Category 4 - Bays 1, 2, 3, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 have been majority filled
  • Category 5 - Bays 1, 2, 3, 15, 16, 17 have been majority filled
  • Category 6 - Not sure if this is not on sale, or if it has been filled..  will consider not on sale yet.
  • Category 7 - All Bays in the lower bowl are now down to single seats only (16 part bays)

And taking some guesstimates of how many tickets have been sold for the venue. The lower bowl fits 23,500 and we have so far filled 12 of 42 bays, that equates to  roughly 6,700 tickets.  The middle tier holds 18,000 and we have filled 11 of 38 which equals 5,200.  There is then those middle bays L9, M8, M9, M10 which aren't on sale despite being in prime position.  It's relatively safe to assume that the reason for this would be because they are sponsor/comp/partner allocations, which adds in another 2,000 tickets.

That means there should be at least 14,000 sold based upon what bays we know are filled.  Of course we don't know how many other people are scattered across the venue, and we don't know yet if anyone has bought in the upper tier, and of course not all bays are the same size at Millennium, and we also haven't taken into account the Category 7 seats in the lower bowl, because they only take up part of a bay, so there will be some give and take and the truer number is most likely larger.

On the plus side, the largest international crowd we've ever had at Millenium Stadium is 17,612, which we are well on track to beat.  The down side is we still have a lot of tickets to sell to the match which will realistically set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

It's no surprise that 1995 got off to a good start due to 41K turning up at Wembley and a strong England performance, 2000 got off to a bad start after 3,000 rocked up in Belfast for the first match, followed by a half empty Twickenham where we got 33K and England just looked out of the hunt.